KublaCon May, 2010

By Syd, in 3. AGoT Organized Play

Hey everyone!

The East Bay California Meta is thinking about running a series of AGOT tournaments at Kubla this year. It falls on the last weekend in May. Advance purchses get you a full weekend pass for only $35! So, I just want to know if there is still interest for a Con Tournament. Will California show up? Are people still willing to travel for this game? We have a pretty big crew here now, but just want to gauge the interest in bringing Kubla back to its former glory.

Syd

I'll be there. See my post in the main boards.

I always have a blast at Kubla. It's a nice sized Con, and lots of fun.

KublaCon Update!

A Game of Thrones now has 3 superb events scheduled for KublaCon weekend in Burlingame, California for May 29-30.

Saturday 11am-5pm : LCG Joust Tournament, 4-5 rounds of Swiss with a cut to top 8 and single elimination.

Saturday 6pm-11pm : Legacy and LCG CUBE draft! If you have never experienced draft, this is your chance to experience an incredibly fun format. All draft supplies are provided...all you need do show up ready to put your skills to the test. Draft may be the most fun, unpredictable format in Thrones.

Sunday: 10am-4pm: LCG Melee. We will have 3-4 table rounds, with a cut to the final four table. Melee is the ultimate test of skill and awareness. Pit yourself against three opponents at once for some seriously mind-bending and swingy play. There's no telling who will finish atop the midden heap in a melee!

The Ironmen of the Easy Bay would like to invite all California players to this amazing Con. Even if you're not from California, there are many that can attest to the quality and fun of KublaCon. There are so many games to choose from, a weekend spent here will never be boring. Come on, make the trip, you know you want to!

www.kublacon.com

If you purchase an advanced weekend pass on or before February 28th, the cost is only $35 for four days of unlimited gaming. The pass gets you into ALL games at the convention, not just Thrones!

In lieu of an appearance fee, I'll just be waiting for my plane ticket and badge. :) Look forward to Burlingame.

How about a badge, floor space, and a Pepsi? I might be able to swing that. Besides, a handsome man like you could easily manage to hitch-hike your way out here by the end of May.

More information will follow (I'll let DeathJester give the details) but it looks like we'll be instituting the Maester's Challenge throughout the three events. These are a series of 'achievements' or 'tasks' that when completed through the course of your games, you get a cooresponding link for your chain. The player with the grandest chain at the end of the weekend will be heralded as "Grand Maester" (with accompanying prizes of course).

Maester_Luke, it would be fitting fo you to make a go of it...then you'll have to change your name to Grand_Maester_Luke!

I will be there! We just started regular AGoT play at our FLGS here in Chico CA! We are all looking forward to it!

hey guys, I am a relatively new players and the group I play with has just started as well. I regularly attend Kublacon, affectionately called 'Kubi', for the OWbN LARP that happens each year and several people in my group go for the RPGA stuff. Long story short, we want to know how long a typical AGoT tournament is taking. We are all very interested in the melee, but want to make sure it isn't going to interfere with our other commitments as far as time wise.

TL;DR - How long does AGoT tournament take?

blythe said:

Long story short, we want to know how long a typical AGoT tournament is taking. We are all very interested in the melee, but want to make sure it isn't going to interfere with our other commitments as far as time wise.

TL;DR - How long does AGoT tournament take?

You may want to wait for Syd or cha0s to officially give you a time on this... but here's my best guess.

The Joust is scheduled to start at 11am on Saturday. I guessing this will take 7 or 8 hrs, so until 6 or 7 pm.

The Draft is scheduled to start at 6pm on Saturday, but that may get pushed back due to the Joust. This should only be about 4 or 5 hours, depending on numbers.

The melee is scheduled to start at 10am on Sunday. My guess is 4 or 5 hrs and then the top 4 play the final table. The length of the final table game is anyone's guess. I've seen them end in an hour, but have seen many games go on for 3 or 4 hrs.

Hopefully your group will be able to make it to some of the events. If you're not able to, please still on by the area to hang out for a while. It'd be nice to meet up and maybe get some friendly games in some time durring the week.

Also, BTW, I have family up in Chico. Next time I'm in town I'll see if I can't stop by and get some games in.

@DJ, you are welcome over any time. Just shoot me an email about a week or so in advance and we will muster our players. They are chomping at the bit now that we got into organized play. Also the Thursday before Kublacon we are having a little precon game session in the atrium of the hotel. We will be welcoming folks traveling from out of state who are members of the OWbN organization, as well as some friends of our local RPGA group. Link to the event on Facebook below!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=372327793930&ref=mf

Blythe-

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you! Busy weekend. Deathjester summed it up pretty well. The standard melee rounds should not take more than about 4-5 hours, but as he said, the final table is untimed which means it can take quite a while. Having said that, I think the card pool is in a place where multiplayer games just don't last that long unless many things fall into allignment. The last multiplayer tournament we had down here in the Bay Area, I was playing at the only table that didn't end within the first 45 min of the round! Some tables run extremely fast, depending on the strategies of the players at the table.

Having said all that, we would really love for you to make any and ALL of the events. We are currently in the application process for making the Joust on Saturday an offical FFG Regional Championship. Look back here before the end of April for more news on that front.

Let us know if you have any more questions regarding Kubla!

Syd

Here is the link to the General Discussion page with all the KublaCon info:

javascript:void(0);/*1270079673800*/

Check it out!