Advice on colours

By CastleRock, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Firstly, many thanks for all the helpful tutorials etc, but as a new painter I am wondering which paints to go with to create a certain look.

I want to create a Nerekhall army based on the colours in the Terrinoth wiki. There is a better picture at http://terrinoth.wikia.com/wiki/Ironbound , where the blue is really cold and the silver and bronze not so shiny . Can anyone recommend make/paint names for these? Or is it all in the washes and matt varnish?

Ironbound_unit.jpg.1650071c662c97604bde7abde1d4cb77.jpg

You want orange ish golds. The silver is quite shiny in that picture, more a steel colour though. Look at the contrast, it goes to near white.

Matt varnish won't do it, and if you want to get close to that image, slapping a wash won't do it either you'd be in for some work. If you want not shiny, try using NMM (non metallic metal methods) this method will also cover the shading aspect. It isn't difficult, but it will take some time.

Edited by Darthain

Thanks - yes the picture isn't exactly what I'm looking for but I couldn't could copy the other one. Is there a tutorial on non metallic methods (I've never heard of them)?

Many on the net, none from me as I paint true metallic. It is kind of taking your colours from almost black (or brown, etc) to almost white. Very high contrast, often involves a fair many layers to get the transitions. Looking up something like power swords (40k) is often very similar, just different colors.

You probably want to forget Non Metallic Metal for this unless you are a super good painter and have lots of time. While it's really beautiful and more striking than TMP (True Metal Painting) it is very slow. To paint a full unit of spearmen that way would take an ludicrous amount of time.

I'd love to see it done, and I'll make sure to visit you in your mental ward from the resulting breakdown from spending 500 hours painting just one unit :)

22 hours ago, CastleRock said:

Firstly, many thanks for all the helpful tutorials etc, but as a new painter I am wondering which paints to go with to create a certain look.

I want to create a Nerekhall army based on the colours in the Terrinoth wiki. There is a better picture at http://terrinoth.wikia.com/wiki/Ironbound , where the blue is really cold and the silver and bronze not so shiny . Can anyone recommend make/paint names for these? Or is it all in the washes and matt varnish?

Ironbound_unit.jpg.1650071c662c97604bde7abde1d4cb77.jpg

Gold - GW Retributor Armor or Vallejo Glorious Gold, Brown Wash. You can dull this down with a little brown.

Silver - GW Leadbelcher or Vallejo Chainmail Silver, diluted Black Wash. You can dull this down with a bit of black or medium gray.

Blue - GW Kantor Blue, washe with a blue wash and highlighted up to GW Macragge Blue.

I would then shade the gold by highlighting with a mix of gold + a bit of flat yellow, then painting in some darker parts with a mix of dark brown (GW Rhinox Hide, with a bit of gold mixed in).
Wherever you have highlights - you want your base to be the gold, then add a lighter tone to it. It needs to be shiny.
Wherever you have shadows - you want your base to be a non-metallic paint with the gold mixed it. It needs to be a semi-matte to matte.

Edge highlight with some of the flat yellow and pick out raised corners where your edges meet with white lines, with a white dot right on the corner.

Most of the shine would be taken off with matte spray warnish.

Recommended reading:
https://adeptuspainter.wordpress.com/2013/08/11/tutorial-true-metallic-plata/

Edited by Polda

Thanks guys.