Latest expansion painted.

By Adun42, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I'm at it again, and this time it was rather...brutal.

Once again, the entire collection is painted, but this time, no more expansions are out, YAY!! (yet). Reanimates, spearmen, Ankaru Maro, and Lord Sauron…I mean Hawthorne.

I started with the reanimates and you can compare those to the first set for the experience difference - they were EASY. It was a wonderful experience, I felt like I learned something! “I’m getting better!” and I think I am. This time, not fooling around I based them, lightly dry brushed them (maybe too lightly), and then literally poured super glue over them to keep the bloody rocks on the model.

Again with the eyes...no, won't do it, can't make me, just a dab of blue and tried to leave the white there and let it go if not.

Then came the spearmen. I tried a bit more detail and it wasn’t completely horrible.

Ok, Here's the thing...what in the Sam Hill am I supposed to do about Maro? Demon surfer dude on a weekend pass from Hell? “Like dude, I’m gonna eat your soul. Totally.”

Glued them together (with as much cursing as last time, while p u l l i n g my fingers apart) and then basically stared at both Maro and Hawthorne for 3 days.

Looked on the web, there were not a lot of folks posting their awesome work.

Thornroo1 put up a great one, but not many posting so I thought I would post my "simplified" Maro. (simplified being primarily: "Use 5 colors", I used 9 (NINE!)).

Just click next for the new ones or go back for previous to see just how much of a masochist I am.

Or you can go here, it puts newest at the bottom: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/YNRuXRWLJPlhvbaB33imlanRkY5CIbBfl4rORjOzDnW

Not great, not flashy, painted.

Here's the thing, I wanted to use flesh tone for the things that tied the bones together, so I wanted to "suggest" that that was flesh, by using that color on our demon surfer but still give him a ghastly appearance.

That almost completely failed perfectly.

Waves? Ok waves of magic?...o...k... so I tried dry brushing them with a bit o' white...and pretty much got the same result as the flesh. *sigh*

But still I can live with the Maro’s.

Now lets talk about Hawthorne. Let me say, we are not on speaking terms.

You really can't describe the experience without using the word "cluster". I certainly compared him to various forms of bovine excrement and rather loudly discussed FFG staff's ancestry. (Look, I love you guys, I buy more gaming stuff from FFG than from any other game maker maybe all others combined. But you make cruel taskmasters.)

The level of detail is probably a great mini for the masters to play with, for me it was just...ridiculous. Seriously. I could sort of do the breastplate, but the shoulders, helm, arms, and legs were out of the question, again, did what I could and went with solid colors where I messed up to the point of losing detail. I don’t have the patience for that task. Bought a “blond” color which is way to banana, but by that time, I used it out of spite. Looks good on the ‘stash but not so great on the hair coming out of the back of the helmet. I considered using grey, but again that was just mean spirited.

Now off to play.

Until the next expansion, Cheers!

Edited by Adun42
fixed the link

I can't access these links on my phone for some reason. It's trying to take me to my own Amazon photo albums - if which I have none.

Can't wait to see your monstrous heroes!

You need to find a way to embed these photos, will mke life much nicer for the people you want looking at them (and more people will look). Also they are not working.

9 colors though that's not bad. I think the Kari I did up used 23ish, not counting any blended intermediary.

Adun you posted the links from your album instead of posting 'shared links'

sorry about that folks - when I am trying to attach, FFG says I have 0.05MB max size now.

But I fixed the link - I created the amazon photo thing to post here, and thought I had opened the entire album to share for public.

How do you get more available attach size?

(probably, as a starter, to not question FFG staff ancestry...just sayin')

Embed from a hosting place, much like amazon. Heck you might even be able to host from amazon and embed, I don't know for sure (kind of useless if you can't).

Your photos aren't overly clear so I can't really comment on the work you are railing at.

Usually people use imgur or photobucket and direct link the image using the [.img] and [./img] tags on either side of the link (without the . in there so it actually works)

Watch it when loading like that though as they will load true size and if your camera is set to a ridiculous scale it will be massive on the boards. Imgur has an inbult-rescale tool though.

@Vineheart01 the forum actually does the tags automatically nowadays, just c/p the actual image link. It is nifty.

How about this?

But wait there's more...

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

Embed from a hosting place, much like amazon. Heck you might even be able to host from amazon and embed, I don't know for sure (kind of useless if you can't).

Your photos aren't overly clear so I can't really comment on the work you are railing at.

Was I railing? Hope it didn't come across like that - Just the emotional roller coaster that is painting.

Just now, Adun42 said:

Was I railing? Hope it didn't come across like that - Just the emotional roller coaster that is painting.

Would you prefer venting? Rage is the engine that drives the world

2 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Would you prefer venting? Rage is the engine that drives the world

I was really shooting for enlightened editorial commentary.

:)

Photobucket is a no no anymore. They changed their t&cs so no posting links anymore :( imgur is the way to go as you have done

I enjoyed how Maro is on a pile of bones with streaming ribbons.

Once again I love reading your posts :) the models are looking really nice as well! I'm sorry they're such a pain. What did you use for the dry grass on maru's base?

On 7/3/2017 at 5:51 PM, Hepitude said:

Once again I love reading your posts :) the models are looking really nice as well! I'm sorry they're such a pain. What did you use for the dry grass on maru's base?

Ohh, I just saw this - I used Army painter's mountain tufts.

They aren't really THAT much of a pain, it is really just my lack of patience.