Wanted: Separate Superhero Book for Genesys System

By chrismaka, in Genesys

I was mildly disappointed to see that superhereos aren't one of the base genres covered in the Genesys system book, but after thinking about it I can understand. Super powers alone are an entirely extra, huge thing. I am therefore hoping that the first big book after the core rulebook comes out will be one for superheroes. I think this system, with a little expansion (or a lot), would be perfect for supers.

I'll take generic superheroes, but you know, the Marvel Super-Heroes license is out there, and FFG obviously knows how to work with Disney's people (given the enormous success they've had with Star Wars). How about a Genesys version of Marvel Super-Heroes :-D

--Chris M.

I'd be happy with just a generic expanion, provided it's absolutly jampacked with abilities and powers.

Plus I wanna play as these guys: :D

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dv8 comic

I wonder how they would handle super powers in general since they scraped the Force dice (there's alot of fun mechanics you could have done with it). I'm curious how they'll handle magic in the core rule book. Once we see that it'll be a good jumping point to super powers.

I wouldn't expect it to be the first (or even second) setting to be published (that will almost certainly be some flavors of a sci-fi and a fantasy setting), but I agree that the dice mechanic would be well suited to dealing with super powers.

I've lost count of how many different super hero RPGs I've tried, which seem to range from awful to okay. I've always wanted a great super hero RPG but I've never found one. I would be very interested to see what they would do but I won't hold my breath. The problem is that super hero RPGs try to cover everything from street level to cosmic power levels. Which may work in comics but not really in RPGs.

Plus there are simply a vast array of possible powers, it's virtually impossible to create balanced rules that cover them all, and then there is the issue that many common powers would actually totally break a universe if not controlled by a single author creating a story.

Count me as another who would like a generic supers system (and OGL as well).

1 hour ago, Sketchpad said:

Count me as another who would like a generic supers system (and OGL as well).

Mutants & Masterminds is generic and OGL.

I've enjoyed a number of superhero RPGs over the years -- it's my favorite genre to play. YMMV, obviously, but I don't think it's an insurmountable challenge to make a good superhero rpg by any means. I also don't think every possible power under the sun needs to be handled. Mutants & Masterminds nicely covers a broad range of super powers (all the ones you really "need") in a slim volume. I don't think a full-on setting book is necessary either, even if they were doing a licensed property like Marvel. The initial book just needs to cover powers, any special rules for super powered combat, some campaign advice, and then a smattering of sample heroes and villain. Again, Mutants & Mastermind did just this with the first DC Heroes book they did.

As many things as M&M gets right, I can't stand the abstract damage system (I know a lot of people like it, which is great -- different strokes and all that -- but it just doesn't work for me). I think the dice system mechanics in Genesys (my group played both the Warhammer Fantasy and Star Wars versions), the combination of narrative and crunchy elements, could make for a terrific superhero game. I hope they do it. :-)

Oh yeah, bring on the threat and despairs in super-powered combats in urban environments!

Thinking about it, some version of Morality could be woven into a supers game fairly easily.

17 minutes ago, Hygric said:

Oh yeah, bring on the threat and despairs

Yeah, it's just asking for attacks to damage oncoming train tracks and topple buildings next to civilians.

Hmm, using your super strength to hit your enemy with an empty bus. *PC rolls dice* A success but 2 despair and 3 threat. OK, Captain Amazingpants clobbers Dark Naughtyboy with that handy bus. Unfortunately while you thought it was empty Billy the innocent school kid had fallen asleep in the back of it AND IS NOW SPLATTERED ACROSS THE STREET! Oh and for your three threat bystanders have captured it on their phones and are about to upload the video to you-tube.

...the possibilities are endless... :-)

4 hours ago, Hygric said:

Oh yeah, bring on the threat and despairs in super-powered combats in urban environments!

Thinking about it, some version of Morality could be woven into a supers game fairly easily.

It could even be something like "Public Opinion" or "Reputation" instead of Morality. The more damage you cause, the more likely you are to take a hit in the court of public opinion. Depending on the game, certain types of heroes could start at different points on the scale; a classic Marvel game could have mutants start at a Reputation of 20 or even 10; forcing them to suffer a long, slow climb to try and win the hearts and minds of the public.

I like that idea, shame I never listen to your podcast ;-)

I just want any hypothetical Supers game to be able to run an ersatz Green Lantern Corps game.

36 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I just want any hypothetical Supers game to be able to run an ersatz Green Lantern Corps game.

Gods; that would be so much fun...

That or a Legion of Superheroes game...

19 hours ago, coyote6 said:

Mutants & Masterminds is generic and OGL.

I realize that, Coyote. But this isn't about M&M. :)

One of the reasons I'm so stoked about the idea of a Genesys superheroes game is all the things you can do with the success, failure, advantage, threat, etc. I'm picturing things like Spider-Man punching the Rhino and failing to do damage but gaining advantage that he can use to enrage Rhino so Rhino does something stupid on his next action -- you know, classic superhero stuff. :-)

I think if we got a supers book, with all the Star Wars material, it would be doable to kitbash together a Green Lantern, or Legion, or Lensmen type campaign (although having dedicated far-future/super hi-tech supers material would be awesome too).

If you went back to see the earliest posts about Edge of the Empire I did, you would find just that, the seeing this system - these dice, as a great tool for a superhero game.

Common despair: Hal Jordan didn't charge his ring, Peter Parker runs out of web fluid.

"The Best There Is At What He Does" is clearly one of Wolverine's talents.

Yeah, ever since I first laid my eyes on the FFG Star Wars dice mechanics I've been itching for a superheroes version of the system and was rather disappointed that it's not in this core book. If they dedicate an entire book to it as the OP stated, however, then it would probably be worth the wait.