The most narrative of narrative story telling is STARING US IN THE FACE, BROTHA! It needs TO RUN WILD!

By Desslok, in Genesys

Wait, wait - it just occurred to me! The NarDS system needs - nay DEMANDS - the most narrative of narrative story telling supplements ever! Very little actual physical combat, but lots and lots and lots of social combat! Just imagine the greatness, brotha! Betrayal! Feuds! Drama! Bad guys! Good guys! Swerves! It would be GLOR-IOUS!

OoooooOOOOOoooh YEAH! Wooo!

Edited by Desslok

And I thought my suggestion of Forgotten Realms was wierd.

Edited by syrath

RKO!

There is already a Wrestling RPG. I've never played it, but it's got good review. https://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/ . No reason Genesys couldn't do it too. (That said, I'm afraid I'm not particularly interested in playing it. :) )

Edited by Split Light

Man, I'd slip into that slim jim if only for the Beer League play it inspires.

I approve of this... only because of the use of the NarDS.

Bonesaw knows.....

Holy **** you are right, a completely kayfabe RPG would be perfect for Genesys: cutting promos, locker room arguments, kidnapped family memebers, voodoo magic, love, betrayals and occasionally some wrestling.

I am watching GLOW at the moment, so I may be a little more amped up for this than usually :-D

Edited by Barl
On 6/29/2017 at 3:38 PM, Split Light said:

There is already a Wrestling RPG. I've never played it, but it's got good review. https://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/ . No reason Genesys couldn't do it too. (That said, I'm afraid I'm not particularly interested in playing it. :) )

There's an even older (and official) one, too. WWE: Know Your Role .

for the narrative wildness the OP implies, I don't see it in this system. At its heart, the NarrDS is still a traditional "Check for success" game engine... with some wild side adds, but in play, it's wildness is entirely dependent upon the group, and whether or not they can wildly interpret the results... RAW, it's most often pretty standard - a few points of strain and/or a couple modifiers. Very very trad at its heart.

Truly narrativist games don't bother with success or failure... Houses of the Blooded (by John Wick), for example, you're rolling for who gets to talk... and the first one to get to talk is the one who decides success or failure, not the dice themselves.

I don't see the engine being any better for pro-wrestling entertainment simulation than HotBlooded nor StreetFighter (later de-IP'd into WoD: Combat). The former if you want narrative gaming, the latter if you want a playable tactical combat...

While I can't say I'm not amused by the idea, personally I'd probably lean towards something like FATE Accelerated for a wrestling type game, as the skill system is set up in such a way that you can wrestlers of different types/classes mix it up both in and outside the squared circle, and employing stunts for their "special moves" or things they're known for doing; Dwayne "Rock" Johnson and John Cena probably have a stunt that gives them a bonus on mic work, while Shawn Michaels has a stunt that makes his "Sweet Chin Music" be more 'effective' than a typical standing side kick, and Hogan has a stunt that helps him no-sell attacks, while Kane and the Undertaker have a stunt that makes them really imposing to their opponents (especially after they no-sell their opponent's finishing combo by sitting right back up).