Panic at the threshing floor

By Budgernaut, in Runewars Tactics

It's way too early to talk about this, but I'm going to talk about it anyway. We don't know exactly what the figure upgrades for Spined Threshers will do, but we've seen from other siege units that those upgrades basically copy an ability from the unit card. As such, I think we can expect one of them (either the Support Spined Thresher or Frontline Spined Thresher) to issue panic tokens after the activation. It's possible that it will only give panic tokens to one unit instead of all units that don't have panic tokens, but that's not important at the moment.

Berserkers (3x3)
-Support/Frontline Spined Thresher
-Terrifying Heraldry

The idea is that you get engaged with a unit, you activate, and you give the engaged unit a panic token after the Berserkers' activation. Then, during the end phase, the engaged unit takes another panic token. During the next round, if you roll a morale result on the dice, you can execute a severity-3 morale test.

This combo is dependent on so much we don't know, but I wanted to share it anyway. Here are some factors we need to know more about.

1. Does this ability even appear on the Spined Thresher upgrade?
  2. How does the Spined Thresher upgrade work? Is it a skill action to activate, or is it passive like the Spined Threshers' unit ability?
  3. If it is a skill, do the Berserkers have a way of attacking and performing a skill action in the same activation?
  4. If it is not a skill, and if the Berserkers have access to a morale modifier, this combo could be phenomenal!
  5. We don't know how much this will cost. With the Berserkers and Terrifying Heraldry, you're looking at 55 already. If the Spined Thresher upgrade is 20, that's 75 points for this little combo.

If we take precedence from the 2 siege units out already then, support thresher will give the unit it's passive, and front line thresher will give the unit its combat ability possibly brutal as well.

10 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

If we take precedence from the 2 siege units out already then, support thresher will give the unit it's passive, and front line thresher will give the unit its combat ability possibly brutal as well.

I agree, but I think that's kind of a lame combat ability. Berserkers have to be at 3x3 to even equip the Spined Thresher, so they already have rerolls, making the Front Line Spined Thresher a bit weak. Granted, it's useful if you're down to a single rank, or even 1 full and 1 partial rank. And given its hit points, it isn't likely to be taken out by accuracy too quickly. So I can see some use for it, but it isn't as awesome as the Front Line Rune Golem. But if it gets Brutal 1, as you suggest, I think I'd have no problems with it.

If it gives you hope, the Support Aymhelin Scion has an ability completely different from anything on its unit card.

rwm14_card_support-aymhelin-scion.png

rwm14_cardfan_unit_scions.png

Compared with the Frontline Aymhelin Scion, which has an ability very similar to that found on the card.

rwm14_card_frontline-aymhelin-scion.png

Edited by Parakitor

I could see Support causing the aoe panic effect, while the Frontline has something different (spend a panic for a hit?) since giving a 3x3 a singular die reroll is really, really dumb lol. Unless that was a 3pt upgrade i wouldnt even bother personally.
Then again we still dont know what the Runegolem does in support either. I actually really hope its the rune-based defense and hope it isnt lol...that could be mean on white action spearmen.

23 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

I could see Support causing the aoe panic effect, while the Frontline has something different (spend a panic for a hit?) since giving a 3x3 a singular die reroll is really, really dumb lol. Unless that was a 3pt upgrade i wouldnt even bother personally.
Then again we still dont know what the Runegolem does in support either. I actually really hope its the rune-based defense and hope it isnt lol...that could be mean on white action spearmen.

The Support Rune Golems have a skill icon, so I'm guessing it'll be just like their unit ability. I don't read French, but the words on the upgrade look the same as on the unit card shown below.

ffrwm04_gallery_02

So spearmen with a constant +1-2 armor w/o the Lance Corperal exhausting....
that..doesnt sound terrifying at all. Slap in Shield Wall since its a large unit, they could potentially have FOUR ARMOR on one attack

14 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

So spearmen with a constant +1-2 armor w/o the Lance Corperal exhausting....
that..doesnt sound terrifying at all. Slap in Shield Wall since its a large unit, they could potentially have FOUR ARMOR on one attack

I'm confused about the +1-2 armor you keep mentioning. The Rune Golem skill assigns stun tokens. It has nothing to do with defense.

herp-derp for some reason i got that mixed with the dial lol....

ignore me...

I do read french and can confirm what it says on the card pretty much lines up with the Golem Skill.