Waiqar 200 - Embedded Maro - Upgrade Character

By Thornoo1, in Runewars List Building

Here's my attempt at embedding Maro so that he can raise my big block.

I have put in dispatch runner into the big block to keep Ardus hitting twice a round. Ardus should have one or two inspiration tokens from the first couple of game turns. I am planning to use the smaller block that Maro is embedded into to flank protect the big block and to counter charge if required. Trumpets are proving themselves quite useful. Movement is great.

Ardus Ix Erebus
# of Trays: 1 ( 37 points)
- Shield of Margath ( 6 points)
- Ancient Technique ( 2 points)
= 45 total unit cost

Reanimates
# of Trays: 4 ( 26 points)
- Ankaur Maro ( 22 points)
- Trumpets ( 2 points)
= 50 total unit cost

Reanimates
# of Trays: 6 ( 35 points)
- Dispatch Runner ( 5 points)
- Front Line Carrion Lancer ( 5 points)
- Terrifying Heraldry ( 5 points)
- Trumpets ( 2 points)
- Lingering Dead ( 3 points)
= 57 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
# of Trays: 2 ( 18 points)
- Combat Ingenuity ( 6 points)
= 24 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
# of Trays: 2 ( 18 points)
- Combat Ingenuity ( 6 points)
= 24 total unit cost

Edited by Thornoo1

Well the Maro part of the list worked great. He raised 7 trays rarely was down a model. A great unit I think.

I sadly let myself down by not generating enough blight to slow down the spearstar. I had one unit of archers to wide on the flank and the other was backing up from Hawthorn all game.

Basically I gave away the initiative.

Spearstar, nice. Sounds like a good learning experience.

On your combat block, try this combo, I love it.

Reanimates

Front Line Carrion Lancer

Blighted Vexillum Bearer

File Leader

Reveal your command dial to "buy" an activation, and then laugh as they charge your block, receive a blight token, then you get to swing, all before they resolve their charge melee attack. It's great for handling Rune Golems or Oathsworn as you're guaranteeing a blight token to activate Front Line Carrion Lancer, and then you can spend it on their charge attack! Not only are you likely to remove trays on their charge to mess with rerolls, but then you just remove a die? It's even greater since File Leader can be activated multiple times in one turn . I had a game where my block activated, melee attacked, and then used File Leader to swing into another unit charging me later in the init order. My opponent was not pleased when I whacked a rune golem out of the 2x1 block before she had a chance to use them to crush my flanks.