First Buys for Campaign

By ShadowTrooper7, in Imperial Assault Campaign

As an IP you are obligated IMO to occasionally bring in Vader, even if it isn't tactically the best option. He still is a force to be reckoned with, and thematically is an awesome presence on the board.

Besides, you want to at least have the chance to play out the Hallway Scene from Rogue One right? Can't do that with Vader on the sidelines :)

14 hours ago, totalnoob said:

As an IP you are obligated IMO to occasionally bring in Vader, even if it isn't tactically the best option. He still is a force to be reckoned with, and thematically is an awesome presence on the board.

Besides, you want to at least have the chance to play out the Hallway Scene from Rogue One right? Can't do that with Vader on the sidelines :)

This is mostly accurate. Vader made two appearances during our groups first core campaign. Both were a blast and are the two missions I remember the best.

On 24. 6. 2017 at 4:33 AM, totalnoob said:

I find that late in the campaign, bringing Vader in is a thematic disaster, as the heroes just blast him into oblivion in one round. :(

Vader's agenda set also has a card that can reduce expensive hero costs (for one mission). So, clearly, this is something they've been combating since the core box.

7 hours ago, burek277 said:

I find that late in the campaign, bringing Vader in is a thematic disaster, as the heroes just blast him into oblivion in one round. :(

My first run as Imperial (Hoth) mid campaign, Diala was in her side mission, I mistakenly added threat points to Vaders health instead of threat level.

The Rebs still crushed him. :blink:

Temptation only has a force shadow.... :D

8 hours ago, burek277 said:

If your rebel players are fine with it, add some skirmish upgrades or command cards to Vader (argue that while your heroes did improved their skill and weapons all campaign long, your villains did not. You could even house rule that any threat not spent at the end of a mission are not lost, instead they go into a pool that you can use to "upgrade" your baddies with command cards. You might have to cap the number of cards you can bring in a single mission). If a command card cost 2 points, make Vader costs 20 threats instead (18 + command card) or use his soon-to-be released skirmish upgrade to bring his cost down to 15. It could help make Vader more viable in late campaign. Deflection is a command card that I have used in my campaign. Thematically, Vader should be able to return some shots to the attacker from time to time. However, this particular command card might not be as effective in late campaign when heroes do have means to inflict damage to Vader. But if Vader can block all of them, it's free damage suffered by the heroes.

3 hours ago, player1690582 said:

If your rebel players are fine with it, add some skirmish upgrades or command cards to Vader (argue that while your heroes did improved their skill and weapons all campaign long, your villains did not. You could even house rule that any threat not spent at the end of a mission are not lost, instead they go into a pool that you can use to "upgrade" your baddies with command cards. You might have to cap the number of cards you can bring in a single mission). If a command card cost 2 points, make Vader costs 20 threats instead (18 + command card) or use his soon-to-be released skirmish upgrade to bring his cost down to 15. It could help make Vader more viable in late campaign. Deflection is a command card that I have used in my campaign. Thematically, Vader should be able to return some shots to the attacker from time to time. However, this particular command card might not be as effective in late campaign when heroes do have means to inflict damage to Vader. But if Vader can block all of them, it's free damage suffered by the heroes.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Can you add the agenda decks from expansions once the campaign is under way?

2 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Can you add the agenda decks from expansions once the campaign is under way?

You build the agenda deck at the beginning of the campaign, so by rules as written you cannot add agenda sets to your agenda deck during the campaign.

(So, it falls to agreeing with your rebels to allow you to switch a set from your agenda deck, cards of which you have not yet used, to a new set.)

Just now, a1bert said:

You build the agenda deck at the beginning of the campaign, so by rules as written you cannot add agenda sets to your agenda deck during the campaign.

(So, it falls to agreeing with your rebels to allow you to switch a set from your agenda deck, cards of which you have not yet used, to a new set.)

Yeah it kind of stifles picking up expansions while the campaign is underway. :-(

I run my campaign more like a DM, than an opponent, so if it helped amp up the campaign a bit and increase players' (including myself) enjoyment then Inthink I might just do that.

34 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Yeah it kind of stifles picking up expansions while the campaign is underway. :-(

I run my campaign more like a DM, than an opponent, so if it helped amp up the campaign a bit and increase players' (including myself) enjoyment then Inthink I might just do that.

Yeah sure, Palpatine created a galaxy-scale war without asking anyone's consent, I wouldn't worry about switching an agenda set or two without letting the rebel players know ;)

Believe it or not, I actually stay away from having Vader in Open Deployment groups. Every time he has hit the board, my players have put him down cold inside 3 rounds.
As far as first buys...whatever trips your trigger. The individual packs (Chewbacca, IG-88, etc.) all have some very good missions in them, and somebody is going to end up with a very interesting 'NPC' to bring to their groups. As far as campaigns...Thats also going to be whatever tugs at your bobber. I just picked up Heart of the Empire and I can't wait to drop it on my group.

Hello there!
I'm new to IA and about to start a core campaign.

I have a question that links to this topic as I did purchase boxes up to Hoth (getting rid of other miniatures game puts you in a position of Buyer Lord ;-)) with few miniature packs.

Is it ok and reasonable to:

a). play core campaign chosing from all the heroes I have (Core, Twin, Bespin, Hoth)?

b). Include i.e. Twin Shadows mini campaign as side missions in core campaign (both are played on Tatooine so maybe there's story-wise reason to do so)?

c). Include few allies/villians (Obi Wan, R2/C3PO, Bobba, Greedo is tempting) in side misions (agendas)

I'd love to see your opinions as much more experienced players :)

BTW I know I know I should start playing and see but... :) those heroes to choose from :)

Kai.

1 hour ago, welniak said:

Hello there!
I'm new to IA and about to start a core campaign.

I have a question that links to this topic as I did purchase boxes up to Hoth (getting rid of other miniatures game puts you in a position of Buyer Lord ;-)) with few miniature packs.

Is it ok and reasonable to:

a). play core campaign chosing from all the heroes I have (Core, Twin, Bespin, Hoth)?

b). Include i.e. Twin Shadows mini campaign as side missions in core campaign (both are played on Tatooine so maybe there's story-wise reason to do so)?

c). Include few allies/villians (Obi Wan, R2/C3PO, Bobba, Greedo is tempting) in side misions (agendas)

BTW I know I know I should start playing and see but... :) those heroes to choose from :)

Kai.

Yes

Yes

and Yes.

Just follow the rules for building a side mission deck correctly and same with the agenda deck.

Use items and supply cards and imperial class deck from other expansions if you want too.

If you use item cards I recommend drawing some extra cards in the rebel upgrade phase though.

53 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

If you use item cards I recommend drawing some extra cards in the rebel upgrade phase though.

Actually, the latest FAQ has an errata so you should be doing this anyways (from page 10 of the FAQ): https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/cf/09/cf09c884-fc95-4ccf-94e5-15a9322618ce/swi_faq_v23_high_res.pdf

When 1 or more expansions are incorporated into an Imperial Assault campaign, Rebel players follow a different procedure during Rebel Upgrade Stages. Rebel players no longer draw six cards from each Item deck listed in the campaign log. Instead, players should make note of the total number of cards in each Item deck at the start of the campaign. Then, during each Rebel Upgrade Stage, Rebel players draw a number of cards from each of the appropriate Item decks equal to half that number (rounded up) for the respective deck.

4 hours ago, welniak said:

Honestly, I'd run through the core campaign without adding a single expansion.

• More heroes means more choice for new players - and that isn't necessarily a good thing (see: choice overload).
  • Similarly, you'll wanna familiarize yourself with core set components before moving on to expansions. Each expansion adds something new and this can bog down gameplay. Example: becoming familiar with stunned/bleeding/focused before introducing Weakened (Twin Shadows) and Hidden (Bespin Gambit).
  • Lastly, if you include everything at the get go, the future charm of playing with new expansion components is lost. Our group finished 4 core campaigns before moving on to expansions.

Just my 2 cents!

Thank you very much for all responses. I've also noticed that there is a timeline marker on the expansions and add-ons so eventually that's also a good point to consider adding them.

4 hours ago, welniak said:

Thank you very much for all responses. I've also noticed that there is a timeline marker on the expansions and add-ons so eventually that's also a good point to consider adding them.

Just an FYI on the timelines: it seems FFG threw them out pretty quick in favor of more flexible gameplay. After Hoth nothing has a timeline and both the Jabba and HotE expansions essentially state they don’t have a timeline for the sake of fun.

So if you want to keep it thematic by saving Jedi Luke until Jabba’s Realm you can, and if you want Greedo waiting for the Rebels in (post Battle of Hoth) Echo Base then you can do that too.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Hello! I am hoping for a little bit of help. I am having trouble choosing between Rebel Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers and Alliance Smuggler. I have the core set, twin shadows and hoth expansions with many other ally/villain packs. I also prefer the campaign. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you so much!