First game

By Seam, in Runebound

Hello!

We played our first game against Margath this weekend.

1. As a group we avoided the combat markers almost constantly because we felt we were to weak to fight against the opponents. Should one be more careless as the characters can't die permanently anyway?

2. We felt that gold was in a permanent high demand. Most all good stuff was much to expencieve with no way to get some gold. Did we overlook something?

Thanks!

1. you should try upgrading a bit as soon as possible, expploiting your char skills and start fighting. i think the ideal sequence is, few upgrades and start fighting before the enemies get the extra token. some chars are better in fighting though. i also tend to avoid battles, but i also tend to loose ;)

2. the easiest way to get gold is by visiting cities all the time an taking goods. if you are lucky you can get 3 goods with the 3 actions in a single turn, from one city

Hm, I may be mistaken but you can only carry one good at a time, right?

7 hours ago, Seam said:

Hm, I may be mistaken but you can only carry one good at a time, right?

This is certainly correct. No character can have more than one item of each type at the same time (unless some specific game effects allow for it, but this is a different kettle of fish)

And if in the setup you just have expensive stuff in the stores and no goods, it can be disheartening. We play with a house rule that every store's average price in setup is about 7 or lower. That way everyone can have something to buy in the early turns. Usually players make some gold from diplomacy and exploration quests at the start. Later in the game, combat quests become the best source for gold and experience.

Though before I do the store setup, I will always tell the players the way I plan to set the stores and that it's a house rule. I also ask if they want to start the game that way or if they want to go by the official rules. Usually the house rule is ok for everyone.