Hoses in the head?

By Techpriest support, in Deathwatch

This is a minor question but it bugs me a little. What's with all the hoses in people's heads in all the ffg 40k books? I'm not ******* but i don't get what all the hoses and wires and cables are supposed to be for. Some people look like they have vacuum cleaner hoses stuck to their heads. Others have what look like old payphone cords coming out of their heads.

I could have assumed they were all augemented but mostly their stats and descriptions don't mention any bionics. So are the hoses and cables meant to be anything or did some artist just watch lots of voyager and develop a borg fetish?

Decoration or various support for cybernetic implantation.

Sometimes they're trophies or metals.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Techpriest support said:

This is a minor question but it bugs me a little. What's with all the hoses in people's heads in all the ffg 40k books? I'm not ******* but i don't get what all the hoses and wires and cables are supposed to be for. Some people look like they have vacuum cleaner hoses stuck to their heads. Others have what look like old payphone cords coming out of their heads.

I could have assumed they were all augemented but mostly their stats and descriptions don't mention any bionics. So are the hoses and cables meant to be anything or did some artist just watch lots of voyager and develop a borg fetish?

A lot of them will be augmetics, but generic "life support due to ageing" bionics, rather than anything which improves your stats. Average active lifespan for imperial nobility and officers is somewhere in the quarter-of-a-millennium range, and by that time you can expect to have had a lot of wires and tubes implanted as your circulation and nervous system steadily packs in...