Why no Rogue One Beginner Game?

By Bojanglez, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Was just thinking about it idly and, given that they created a TFA beginner game, surely Rogue One would make as good as - if not better - game to introduce new players to this lovely gaming system? Unlike most of the Beginner sets, PC's could play characters from the movies - they would be expecting to have their characters die, might add an interesting element to gameplay.

Or be depressing as hell ;)

Edited by Bojanglez
Clarity!

I think TFA set was released to capitalize on the popularity of the franchise reboot, and introduce a few details from the new era.

The R1 setting, on the other hand, is pretty much already covered in exhaustive detail (Age of Rebellion).

Agreed. Rogue One lends itself better to an AoR sourcebook. All of the "flavor" that could be demonstrated by a R1 BG is already introduced in the AoR BG.

Will the Last Jedi have its own box set then?

This could have been set either on Jedha or in the aftermath of the attack on that world where Galen was killed.

Just because they headed onto Yavin nothing prevents a box set delving into what else they were researching when exactly was Admiral Ackbar freed?

Could even be about surviving member's of Saw's group capturing Jun & co before fleeing the destruction and being chased by Inferno Squad?

Have they discussed any future releases of this sort?

Edited by copperbell

TFA beginner game is in a new time period. Rogue One is already covered by Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. Anything you might find in R1 could be saved for a future EotE or AoR supplement.

Edited by Sturn
1 hour ago, copperbell said:

Will the Last Jedi have its own box set then?

This could have been set either on Jedha or in the aftermath of the attack on that world where Galen was killed.

Just because they headed onto Yavin nothing prevents a box set delving into what else they were researching when exactly was Admiral Ackbar freed?

Could even be about surviving member's of Saw's group capturing Jun & co before fleeing the destruction and being chased by Inferno Squad?

Have they discussed any future releases of this sort?

The beginner games are designed to give a taste of one (or, in the case of TFA BG, multiple) of the existing game systems. As noted, Rogue One is right smack in the middle of the Age of Rebellion system. TFA BG differentiated itself by being set in a different time period. A Rogue One BG wouldn't have anything to differentiate itself from the AoR BG. All of the suggestions you've made lend themselves better to AoR supplements than creating a separate masthead BG.

As for your final question, FFG traditionally does not discuss future releases until they're officially announced.

Their AoR Engineers Supplement looks very interesting though!

On 6/16/2017 at 5:39 PM, Bojanglez said:

Was just thinking about it idly and, given that they created a TFA beginner game, surely Rogue One would make as good as - if not better - game to introduce new players to this lovely gaming system? Unlike most of the Beginner sets, PC's could play characters from the movies - they would be expecting to have their characters die, might add an interesting element to gameplay.

Or be depressing as **** ;)

So this adventure will kill all the characters at the end. This is the perfect way to introduce people to RPGs.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, Samuel Richard said:

So this adventure will kill all the characters at the end. This is the perfect way to introduce people to RPGs.

if handled right and done heroically and thematically, i personally think it would be a pretty awesome experience. I could argue that it's the journey and not the arrival. But, each to their own :)

1 hour ago, Bojanglez said:

if handled right and done heroically and thematically, i personally think it would be a pretty awesome experience. I could argue that it's the journey and not the arrival. But, each to their own :)

That works fine for a group that's generally used to gaming.

But it doesn't work for a group of players that have 1) never played RPGs before, or 2) never played this version of Star Wars. That sort of "kill them all" mindset might work for something as grimdark as Warhammer Fantasy/40K, but doesn't translate that well when introducing players to Star Wars as an RPG.

Plus, with each of the Beginner Box adventures (including L5R), there's always been a follow up adventure that uses the same characters from the beginner set. Which is hard to do if the PCs all died at the end of the initial adventure.

Doesn't have to be that way.

Imagine being part of the sortie on Scarif, but unlike the others they manage to escape the Death Star blast.

However in the aftermath with Vader chasing the Tantive IV, Tarkin busy with his new toy and YOU are currently thought all killed, but the Imperial forces clearing up the mess are going to realise you aren't dead and the only means to escape involve infiltrating the imperials, stealing a suitable ship and escaping the system before the Empire can react...

Edited by copperbell

I would buy a AoR source book for Rogue One, but I don't think it makes a great a beginner game. it would play like Glum from the Banana Splits. "It'll never work... he'll never make it... we're all going to die!" Rogue One is a great film with a dramatically appropriate downer ending. All of our heroes die in the end.

I think Dawn of Rebellian covers Rogue 1