Ywing's Scum Army

By Ywingscum, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

With all these forums of wonderful beautifully painted miniatures, it really inspired me to do better on my own paint jobs. Then I thought maybe someone who isn't a painter, should post a picture or two for those of us who aren't talented at painting. It'll also show people just how good the painters in the other threads really are. So I decided to put up a couple pics of my recently finished Daqan. 1 core plus infantry command minus Kari as she's not done yet. My waiqar are almost done, I might pop up a pic of them when I finish. If I can figure out how to get pics in here.

Daqan 2.jpg

Daqan 3.jpg

Daqan.jpg

Daqan 4.jpg

Edited by Ywingscum

looks really good. I've only worked on my spearmen so far and they have essentially the same scheme. I like how you made your calvary pop with the red. Gives me some food for thought when I get to mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Silicor

Nice army Y wing, thanks.for adding colour to the game. Way better than ffg stock paint jobs.

Purdy

Looks good, nice work

Is that black for the base color? It looks really nice!

Primed blue, as the painter guide suggests. I played with primed blue for like a month. The bases I painted brown on top except one. One I based direct on tray no prep just to see, I preferred painting the bases brown then basing.

Basing is harder then I remember haha.

the point of this thread I hope is to show a complete novice can get table presentable minis. And contrast against all the amazing paint threads found in this forum.

In action!

200 point battle.jpg

Very cool

Tonight I'm prepping and spraying coreset number 2! No more grey soldiers woot!

Two questions:

How did it go with your 2nd set?

What did you use for your game mat? It looks like velour at this distance.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:56 AM, Ywingscum said:

Tonight I'm prepping and spraying coreset number 2! No more grey soldiers woot!

You're starting a new core set right before elves come out?

Still working on second set. Golem done, all primered, working on reanimates.

Its a $10 fleece blanket wrapped and taped on a 6X3 board (free). I store it behind a door haha. It works well. But I played a mini game on an x wing mat, and official mat is better. I'm just cheap.

I started second set hoping I'd be done before elves came out. Looks like the second core will go on the back burner now! Haha can't believe the elves are almost here!

20 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Still working on second set. Golem done, all primered, working on reanimates.

Its a $10 fleece blanket wrapped and taped on a 6X3 board (free). I store it behind a door haha. It works well. But I played a mini game on an x wing mat, and official mat is better. I'm just cheap.

I started second set hoping I'd be done before elves came out. Looks like the second core will go on the back burner now! Haha can't believe the elves are almost here!

I was hoping to have 4 cores of daqan done before elves. I take solace in failure knowing elves won't be truly useful until their command pack drops, those really opened up the game.

I'm hoping for a painting guide an will get to work on them right away

13 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

I'm hoping for a painting guide an will get to work on them right away

Painting guides cannot serve my vision, I've got something insane in mind.

I picked up a square yard of "Grassy Meadows" 35% wool felt for just under $7 (after using a 1/2 off coupon). I haven't played yet. Is that too small a mat? Sorry, I haven't gone through the rule-book either yet. So far I'm just fascinated with everyone's painted minis and am just past the priming stage with my figs.

Official size is 6' X 3' at 200 point armies.

A square yard will be good for 100 point skirmishes though

Finally got my elves. Tomorrow it's glue, wash, spray primer. Hopefully Sunday get in a game or two!!

You sir do not give yourself enough credit, fantastic work.

Finished my second Lancer!

My Daqan are all finished. Just finishing Waquir. Then I can start my beloved elves, (which are primed).

Carrion Lancer.jpg

Looking good! I like the inverted carrion worms. But I can't believe you have the willpower to save the latari for last! My Daqan, Waiqar, and Latari are lowest on the totem pole.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your elves!

Some basing to do and my undead are finished, then on to the Latari. Nothing like at work and trying to rub off some paint still on your fingers haha.

6 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Some basing to do and my undead are finished, then on to the Latari

That is an amazing feeling to be done. But then you look over at this army you have yet to do..... O.o

So true!

It also nice to always have something new and cool waiting its turn!