Voluntary defeat self

By Rasiel, in Middle-earth Quest

Hi,

I have a question about this rule in faq. It states that hero can defeat himself if he is in any stronghold or near witch king even if he has cards in life pool. Is that so ? Heroes can use this rule to "teleport" himself to nearest heaven especially for one, i dont know her name who has a quest to go to mordor. Its always better to die and move one sauron token than travel through that perilous locations with monsters etc and die or must heal anyway with some bad stuff from peril cards ... Just go there, fulfil the quest and ... "hmm Im dead lets go back for free".

In other game situations it is the same ... as some hero goes through stronghold, make there a big fight that takes half his cards, its better to "die" and in one case move one space away.

I understand this rule when hero has no cards in life pool and cannot move, since it would be a dead-end, but at other times ... i say its heros fault not to prepare for this, and dont let him die voluntarily.

Q: What happens if a hero has 0 cards in his deck and not enough cards in
his hand to move to an adjacent location?
A: The hero will need to rest on his next turn in order to
get more cards in his life pool. If the hero is on a Shadow
Stronghold, within 1 space of the Witch King, or does not have
cards in his rest pool, he may voluntarily be defeated at any point
during his turn (since he cannot rest).

Rasiel said:

Q: What happens if a hero has 0 cards in his deck and not enough cards in
his hand to move to an adjacent location
?
A: The hero will need to rest on his next turn in order to
get more cards in his life pool. If the hero is on a Shadow
Stronghold, within 1 space of the Witch King, or does not have
cards in his rest pool, he may voluntarily be defeated at any point
during his turn (since he cannot rest).

emphasis added

The ruling you quoted says you must have 0 in life pool (and be unable to rest) and can't have cards in hand that enable you to move to an adjacent location. If those are met, then you can declare voluntary defeat. Otherwise, you'll need to move and defeat yourself that by spending all the cards in hand to move. Also note that if two Havens are equally far apart, Sauron gets to choose where to dump the Hero. I know I've defeated a Hero at Dagorlad (IIRC), which had Lothlorien, Edoras, Minas Tirith and Erebor equal distance away. I dumped the Hero at Erebor, because I knew that was the worst spot when taking into account the movement symbols in his cards.

Aaaah, I can see that now, english is not my mature language, so i interpreted it differently ... my bad...

If that was written in one sentence using "or" like "the hero must rest OR if he is in SS .... " than it will be clear :)

thanks

Dam said:

I know I've defeated a Hero at Dagorlad (IIRC), which had Lothlorien, Edoras, Minas Tirith and Erebor equal distance away.

The Woodland Realm is another haven that is equal-distance from Dagorlad.

Another location with lots of equal havens is Anfalas: Edoras, Fornost, Lothlórien, Minas Tirith, and Rivendell.

Call me crazy, but I entered all the locations and paths into a shortest path program that I wrote to find the closest haven to each location on the map.