AH rules questions and Eldritch Horror

By SemiAddict, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hi Julia,

For the past two to three years I've conducted an email conversation with Daniel Clark of FFG (he co-designed Lurker at the Threshold and worked on other expansions). He is the best I've found (especially in terms of patience) with answering AH rules questions. I'd like to share his answers with the Forum, but I don't know how to do anything with emails but send them to another email address. Do you have an email address I could send them to that would facilitate this?

Also, I'm now past the 350-game mark in AH ( I have all expansions), and continue to enjoy it. The only problem I have with it is that it is so much easier to win with a larger number of investigators than with a smaller number. I have found this to be consistently true, even though I never use more than one expansion board with three players and no more than two with four players. I think I recall you once mentioning that Eldritch Horror is designed to be better for fewer players. If you and others think it accomplishes that, I may be ready to try it.

Thanks for your help!

Howdy!

For the first part: I sent you a private message.

For the second part: indeed, Arkham's easier with a larger number of investigators than with a smaller basically because you have a time track whose length is fixed (so, you won't be able to play more than X turns thanks to doom advancing) and you need a constant number of seals to win, i.e. you need 6 individuals having 5 clues each. It's pretty easy to get that having 6 different investigators in play require you to get for each of them 5 clues, which is something that can be done pretty quickly, while playing with 3 means each of them has to get 10 clues, which means more rounds and time. If you find Arkham pretty easy, I'd suggest you could play it with some of my custom Heralds, or you could join the Advanced Players League. If interested, let me know (all links are in my signature, anyway).

Eldritch does better (3p is pretty brutal to play); the only problem with Eldritch is that it's a lighter game, and randomic components have a greater impact on the final outcome than in Arkham. Not saying it's a bad game, but it's a different game that sometimes has some serious problems of balance (in both senses) so, in the end, I grew tired of it.

If you want something rather challenging, you could consider the Arkham Horror LCG, which is quite a great game

As you haven't used a private message I believe I can throw my three pennies in.

EH's difficulty also changes with investigator number but the game has many built-in ways of customizing the difficulty so you can easily tune it to your needs.

While I agree with Julia that random components have a substantial impact on the outcome of Eldritch Horror, I disagree that it's much bigger than in Arkham. One example: Rumor cards have a big impact in both games, but in AH you encounter them completely at random, while in EH you approximately know when and how many Rumors will appear.

Go on and try a few games. I wonder what would another long-time AH player think about EH.

I also wonder what kind of rules answers you have for us. One could think that the Ultimate FAQ answers everything but I guess it would be naive to think so.

Edited by tsuma534

Tsuma, I still have to find an actually good way to stage difficulty in EH. If you have suggestions, I'm more than happy to listen to them :) (possibly in private, to avoid spamming this thread)

The ultimate FAQ sadly is lacking under many aspects, and while over the years some good people (Daniel and Tim mostly) closed some of the remaining loopholes / imprecisions, there's always room for more questions / clarifications, so, I'm really curious to read the answers the OP has got from Daniel

4 hours ago, Julia said:

The ultimate FAQ sadly is lacking under many aspects, and while over the years some good people (Daniel and Tim mostly) closed some of the remaining loopholes / imprecisions, there's always room for more questions / clarifications.

dTqSFc5.png

Hi!

I am a new player in Arkham Horror, i bought the game last week, and i searched people with big experience in this game , so i ask here. I hope you can answer my question. Sorry for my english by the way.

I bought the reworked game (2nd issue) on my language (hungarian) last week with a "reworked" rulebook, with a rule that says: In combat with an Ancient One (later : AO): if we reach the cumulative success (based on player numbers) then we can take 1 doom token from the AO, AND the cumulative successes are going to 0. But on the forums and in the FAQ 2.0 i see there are another rules, with :

Q:
In combat with an Ancient One, how do cumulative
successes in the “Investigators Attack” step work?
A:
To defeat the Ancient One, the players must do a total
number of successes equal to the number of players mul
-tiplied by the number of doom tokens on the Ancient One.
So, if 4 players are facing Yig (doom track of 10), they
need 40 successes to win. For every 4 successes they do,
they remove 1 doom token to track their progress. If the
investigators get 9 successes in the first round of combat,
they would remove 2 doom tokens, and 1 success would
carry over to the next round of combat."
Are this FAQ 2.0 ( https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9b/2a/9b2a9f8f-0b42-45ba-bcd2-87dc55c68f5f/complete_arkham_horror_faq.pdf) the latest "rulebook"? With the hungarian rulebook(i think its too old), i think the AO is almost unbeatable if the cumulative successes are going to 0 after a " cumulative success".
Thanks in advice:
Tejbajusz

It's very easy in the end, but they messed up explaining quite often. To defeat an AO, you need to roll

M = n*D successes

Where n is the number of players and D the max doom on the doomtrack