Bounty Hunter / Corbin

By Pheznik, in Runebound

before we even START

I know the SPIRIT of the rule is so he can collect a bounty on each character.

That being said. His wording makes it sound that you get a number of pvp attacks based on the number of players and not so much one per each player, yes?

Once per hero per game, you may spend an action to challenge an undefeated hero in your hex.

By this reading in a 4 player game counting himself he gets 4 pvp attacks

Wouldn't a better wording have been "You may challenge each other hero once per game"?

Or am I just wrong about the spirit of this?

Attacking yourself doesn't make much sense in my opinion, so, I'm rather ok with Corbin's wording, but maybe it's just me

Corbin's wording makes it sound like he can attack his self, so your comment doesn't make sense.

And you're welcome :D

You asked if other people believe that the wording on Corbin's should have been different, and I answered that I'm fine with it, so, how on earth what I said can't make sense? You asked for an opinion, and you've got one.

Additionally: Corbin's wording says he gains a benefit from defeating the other hero : for another hero to be involved, we need TWO heroes in the same hex (suggested reading: Oxford dictionary, other ), so, there's no way that Corbin's wording could be read as he's allowed to challenge himself before he can't defeat another hero since there's no "other" hero involved if you fight solo. And his wording could not be read in any other way than the mere "give N-1 bounties" where N is the number of players (so, in 4p game, you deliver 3, not 4).

Furthermore, how would you be able to resolve Corbin vs Corbin if you don't have two sets of Corbin tokens available?

Finally, the rules reference is extremely clear about how to resolve challenges (pag. 5, under "Challenge"), and under that section's also covered Corbin's challenges, so, there's no way anyone able to read the rules and to understand some basic English (which probably isn't your case, considering your "his self"; not that this is a particular problem, but if you don't have a decent level of English you shouldn't probably be judging how things are worded) could find Corbin's challenge confusing.

His wording makes it sound like he can attack himself, but then you say that's not right but then say you like his wording. Your statement doesn't make sense

Newer player here, but I would say that when the text for Corbin says he may challenge an undefeated hero in your hex, that "your" implies there is another character in your hex.

FWIW I think the wording is fine.

Now if you had two base sets and two people were playing Corbin, I do think you'd be right. I think that would be thematically humorous too, two heroes claiming to be the same person. If not for the daunting cost of buying two of everything I think that could be fun! Only a semi-serious suggestion, just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

I think the only possible way any confusion about whether he could attack himself could exist is if you read only the first sentence and ignore the other two sentences from Corbin's Bounty Hunting ability. Julia already described the impossibility of a Corbin versus Corbin battle. Plus, the only way for Corbin to get his reward is to defeat the other hero. If Corbin finds a way to attack himself and ultimately win, then he is himself defeated. If Corbin is defeated he cannot collect the reward, and if you cannot collect the reward, why would you bother attacking yourself assuming it was otherwise possible? "Stop hitting yourself".