World Tournament Decks

By DJRAZZ, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

Are these decks good? I don't play this game but I love when games do this. Could a beginner play these decks or would they be just lost? Are the decks legal to play?

Are these decks good?

Yes. They leveraged two of the most powerful archetypes of their time.

I don't play this game but I love when games do this. Could a beginner play these decks or would they be just lost?

A few synergies may not be immediately obvious but there's no reason why you couldn't figure out most of how they tick.

Are the decks legal to play?

Not in tournaments. The "Most Wanted List" (cards that need reining in via deckbuilding constraints) has been updated after these decks were played and several powerful cards were selected for moderation. Moreover, big chunks of them are from Data Packs which will be rotating in about four months or so, and won't be legal at all in organized play.

Honestly, as a stand-alone product, I wouldn't recommend them. Their purpose is basically to provide alternative versions of cards which are available in normal versions in various packs, and to commemorate the success at a particular time and place. I know last year when the 2015 Champion decks came out they also were obsolete as-printed due to MWL changes, and some people asked why they weren't tweaked to still be legal. Apparently the answer is "if they did that then they wouldn't be the championship decks." Commemorative fidelity won out.

And as for the MWL...if you've got a list of cards that are unbalanced that's updated periodically, and your next update doesn't take the best decks in the game down a peg, you're kinda not doing it right.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you were interested in the game, I would recommend getting a Core Set, and then if you like what that has to offer, pick up the Terminal Directive expansion next. From there, look up what cards you are interested and buy what is worth it to you, if you're wanting to keep going.