TallTonyB's requisite paint thread

By TallTonyB, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So, I finally got around to starting my painting and modeling. About **** time. Anyway, I don't really expect anyone to take too much of an interest in my stuff since I'm a very mediocre painter, this thread is mostly just for my reference and memories. If you like what you see, let me know what you like about it. If you don't, feel free to give me tips on how to improve. :)

The beginnings of my Daqan command guys:

ex88JZ1.jpg

Daqan command WIP:

4feZEUr.jpg

My cat jynx "helping":

qMkcZmi.jpg

"Finished" Daqan command (still some minor touchups, but mostly done):

20170607_141433_zpsa7pp2p8j.jpg

Tore up a reanimate for my run golem to stomp:

RZFZjeG.jpg

WIP runegolem. still needs his runes painted in, and a lot of basing work:

doXlAx3.jpg

Edited by TallTonyB

pssst, they are all the daqan command WIP

I hate photobucket... really need to switch to something else.

I like the purple and tealy blue combo if it is any consolation. What blue is that?

It's citadel's Temple Guard Blue

What kind of aggregate are you using for your bases?

And does it come that way or are you painting it?

Army painter's Brown Battleground. I didn't paint it on the command figures, but wish I would have. On the runegolems base I just ran a light wash over it and it looks a lot better through the grass. The non washed looks too bright for my tastes.

Edited by TallTonyB

Finished my runegolem. Went really basic on the runes after painting them three different ways and none of them turned out the way I wanted.

MlMx2ux.jpg

Holy crap, he's dual dual weilding. He must be a ranger/ranger.

16 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

It's citadel's Temple Guard Blue

Apparently that translates to 'blue green' for VMC, I may use that for my Golems glow, as I used a similar purple and like the interplay. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

Holy crap, he's dual dual weilding. He must be a ranger/ranger.

Yeah, my other one is going to be holding pieces of a reanimate, and a giant battle axe made from a mold of the axe on the boss mech from mechs vs minions.

20 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Yeah, my other one is going to be holding pieces of a reanimate, and a giant battle axe made from a mold of the axe on the boss mech from mechs vs minions.

That's hardcore, what are you using for casting/moulding, I know little of this world.

4 hours ago, Darthain said:

That's hardcore, what are you using for casting/moulding, I know little of this world.

Not sure yet. Never done it. Thinking about trying to make a mold out of plaster, then maybe just jam in some green stuff. I'll see how that goes and go from there. If you go with more of the blue side when you mix it, it gets pretty hard once it sets.

Plan on trying it this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Edited by TallTonyB

BRqXuLD.jpg

Cats never want anything to do with you, until they know you're busy...

Are you using washes on the whole models? I'd look at something for the purple so it doesn't appear so flat. Either a back wash or if you're feeling adventurous maybe a red one to blend the purple into the edges.

Yeah, I need to highlight my purples better. Highlighting and washes are still my weak points. I have a hard time getting good shading without just making everything look dirty. Need more practice with that.

Edited by TallTonyB

You ever have a model you finish up and think "Wow, this looks really good" only to take pictures and the bright light shows all the flaws.... So this oathsworn....

YLX1tiY.jpg

w4Iy1aT.jpg

Like all good ideas, should I find a way to get spears, totally stealing this.

35 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

You ever have a model you finish up and think "Wow, this looks really good" only to take pictures and the bright light shows all the flaws....

I think that describes all the models I've ever painted! :D

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

Like all good ideas, should I find a way to get spears, totally stealing this.

I actually just made that one completely from scratch just using green stuff. If you go that route, make sure to use more blue than yellow in your green stuff (I did equal parts and it's a bit too bendy for my tastes). Then just use the pose where he has his sword more away from his body, cut right at the seam between the gauntlet and his arm, spin his hand down and chop off the sword parts.

For my next one, I might just try rolling the green stuff for the shaft around a toothpick for rigidity if it doesn't make it too fat.

Edited by TallTonyB

I have some pinning material I could make the shaft with, only really need to make a blade. And between ngreen stuff and polystyrene might be able to hack it.