Rune Golem List Question

By Alino, in Runewars List Building

Heyo! So, I'm a new player and I'm debating (still) on what faction to main, and I really like the Rune Golem model (Like, alot)

So, my question is this - Would it be viable to run a list with several Rune Golems, and if so, how would it work and would it be viable in competitive play?

The "Front Line Rune Golem" upgrade increases threat and durability of soearmen and future infantry. Completely Viable

The (likely) eventual "Support Rune Golem" will probably be the special action to apply stun. It will have its place.

Solo rune golems make nice roadblocks and token grabbers for cheap. They have a habit of surviving a lot late game once threat levels diminish and that 4 armor is still there.

I have not not seen or tried large blocks of rune golems. I think that once Latari drop and there are less undead wound-generating combos saturating the tables, Mass Golem formations might be a thing

Our experience with Rune Golems has been that while 4+ defense is nice, their 2 health can be a problem. 4+ damage isn't that hard to do with even 2 threat units and then you've got a half dead Rune Golem. Mortal strikes, which the Waiqar have plenty of ways to get, make them even more vulnerable.

Im not sure how useful a block of 3x2 golems would be considering thats 74pts without its two upgrades. Wind Runes is pretty much mandatory on them since theyre highly, highly immobile without it, they cant turn or wheel at all so Reforming is all they got.

Threat5 cap if you get 2 stable runes for a theoretical cap of 20 damage with 1 reroll. Mind you, a 3x3 spearmen blob with front line golem and Weapons Master costs 74pts and has a damage cap of 30, not wind-rune dependent dial, can benefit from Shield Wall, has 2 rerolls, and has a Music slot to play with.

Only reason i can think of the golems would be better is the armor. 4 armor CAN be a problem to get through, but i find that even if its POSSIBLE to get through their armor somehow it always happens. If the golems can survive long enough to get rid of the high threat targets they pretty much dont have anything to fear other than mortal strikes, but with just under 100pts invested in the golems that's not an easy thing to do.

Golems are best as upgrades or speedbumps. Ive ran up to a 2x2 (not all mine, i only own 2) and they just dont really feel any more dangerous than a single one and still go down fairly easy when focused. However, the random solo golem is uber cheap and generally deadly enough to draw attention, but not the attention of the big deathstars.
I want to experiment with multiple solo golems, but lack the dials for that.

I've found the best way to deal with blight is to have more individual units than the Waiqar.

Blight works best when it is applied all to one group. Blight doesn't work so great against swarms of smaller units.

Single Rune Golems are great for increasing the number of units you field. It will force your opponent to either split their blight across many enemies reducing its effectiveness or ignoring some units altogether.

A Rune Golem is not something they can easily ignore. I prefer to use 2x single Rune Golems with wind rune.

I was thinking of running a 8 golem team with the crossbow men as support when they come out i know it sounds crazy but i like themed teams. Also i plan on using some spearmen and command units too. Keep in mind this is only for fun as i just want to play for casual not tourney play. Now when the elves come out... Mmmm boy i am already like. "Shut up and take my money!".

I really liked running a couple 1x2 Rune Golem units (using Hawthorne's ability). Having the extra rank for rerolls was nice, and they're 50-50 threat 2 or threat 3, and can still squeeze past terrain.