Dealing with "Death Stars"?

By Elkerlyc, in Runewars Tactics

Hawthorne and a small group of Spearmen with Rallying Cornicen behind your Deathstar can sure help with that blight.

That being said, against Deathstars I like sending 4x1 formations of Oathsworn with Rank Discipline and any damage adder upgrade you want to alpha strike them down.

I think Waiqar players are suffering from not having either a couple of cheap fast redirectors, such as the Carrion Crawler or something which can hit hard and fast like the death knights.

I'm struggling to stop the death star particularly as it gets a second swing from a support unit nearby with dispatch runner.

If you can redirect the deathstar and hit the support unit the list starts to struggle but I have yet to get on top it.

I’m considering for a Death Star using this:

Oathsworn Cavalry x9 [68]
--Champion: Lord Hawthorne (C) [22]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Heraldry: Terrifying Heraldry [5]
--Training: Moment of Inspiration [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 106

Sure, its 106 points, but it can move 4 straight, and 4 straight, and reform, it can charge and hit with 2W2R1B. If I get a flank, that might be 3W2R1B. And that is a lot of damage, with a lot of rerolls.

For additional fun, I might pair it with a Spearmen Rune golem unit.

That would be fantastic! A 2 unit list!

1 hour ago, Hawktel said:

I’m considering for a Death Star using this:

Oathsworn Cavalry x9 [68]
--Champion: Lord Hawthorne (C) [22]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Heraldry: Terrifying Heraldry [5]
--Training: Moment of Inspiration [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 106

Sure, its 106 points, but it can move 4 straight, and 4 straight, and reform, it can charge and hit with 2W2R1B. If I get a flank, that might be 3W2R1B. And that is a lot of damage, with a lot of rerolls.

For additional fun, I might pair it with a Spearmen Rune golem unit.

I thought flank was only +1 R or +1 B

12 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

It is.

20 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Hawthorne adds a W, Moment of Inspiration adds a W, flank adds a Red or Blue = 2W2R1B

Though im not sure where the 2nd 4 straight comes from. Wind Runes are speed 0-3 depending on nature runes (circles).
Its also probably the only time i'd ever say Hawthorne is actually a good character upgrade rather than a standalone. The die he adds for 22pts is not worth it, and his ability is highly unlikely to work unless its the 3x3 blob, which kinda has to be focused down to remove it with all that stuff decked into it. Anything less, you're gambling to get multiple targets to attack and would be better off with a Weapons Master (faaaar cheaper, red die instead of white)

Edited by Vineheart01
6 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Hawthorne adds a W, Moment of Inspiration adds a W, flank adds a Red or Blue = 2W2R1B

Right, which is why the flank will be 2W3R1B or 2W2R2B, but not 3W2R1B.

Reading the rule, it is a red or blue. Ahh well, good thing I haven't tried this on the table yet. But I will. Ohh yes, I will. I just need 3 more trays of Oathsworn.