JR Mutiny - what's the deal with the skiff? - SPOILERS

By Pollux85, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I got a copy of JR for my birthday this weekend, and it looks great, but I have some questions about the final mission - Mutiny - and the skiff. I've read over it several times and done a search on BGG and here and... I just don't get it. How does movement between the skiff and the ground level work? Can I move the skiff itself? Can I move the ladder? Does moving the ladder move the spot where I'd land if I moved between the two? And apparently I can knock figures off the skiff? Can someone just explain all the things about the skiff to me like I'm an idiot?

The colored points show where the different skyboats hover above the "main" map (exterior spaces). The blue point of the Skiff (top end of a ladder) corresponds to the blue mission token (bottom end of a ladder) on the "main" map.

There are mission rules to move the skyboats, i.e. move the colored mission tokens (ladders) on the "main" map. (Rebel controls a terminal.)

So, the bottom end of the blue ladder moving on the "main" map represents the Skiff moving above the heroes.

Getting clearer? It takes a few read-throughs to get the idea, then a few more to understand what each mission rule represents.

Thematically, think ladders.

Mechanically, think moving portals.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Thematically, think ladders.

Mechanically, think moving portals.

Now you're thinking with portals!

I have another JR question that is somewhat related: JR SPOILERS FOLLOW:

In the introduction mission: "Trespass"; halfway through this mission the mission rules instruct the IP to replace the dune with the Skiff tiles and then split the weequay pirate group between the two black points. I won't say too much more about them to avoid bigger spoilers but my question is: why aren't the weequay pirates mentioned in the special set-up section? The special set-up mentions the skiff tiles but nothing about weequays. Am I correct that I will deploy regular Weequay Pirates at this time (of course with special controls)?

Setup section is often (except reserved groups) public information. Weequay Pirates are not in initial groups and not in reserved groups because they are neither. (But probably an oversight to not mention them. "Set aside the Weequay Pirates deployment card." But it's not strictly needed because you don't have open groups for the mission.)

Yes, you deploy regular Weequay Pirate group as instructed by the event.

PBF SWIA050 Trespass

Edited by a1bert
4 hours ago, neosmagus said:

Now you're thinking with portals!

This was a triumph!

I'm making a note here; HUGE success!!

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

Setup section is often (except reserved groups) public information. Weequay Pirates are not in initial groups and not in reserved groups because they are neither. (But probably an oversight to not mention them. "Set aside the Weequay Pirates deployment card." But it's not strictly needed because you don't have open groups for the mission.)

Yes, you deploy regular Weequay Pirate group as instructed by the event.

PBF SWIA050 Trespass

That makes sense. I never though of special setup as public information and I won't be telling my group that there are skiff tiles either. I understood why they didn't show up in the open/reserved groups but no mention is odd. Plus, I expected the bullet, "deploy the Weequay pirates to the..." and then a second instruction on any special rules. Either way, I appreciate the clarification:)

All this being said, I do think that this will be a fun thing to look forward to in the game.

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo
added stuff

Yeah, the "do not place during setup" parts are also secret in addition to reserved groups. But Special Setup: often includes information required by the rebels, so instead of explaining it from the map setup, it's easier to just go ahead and read it.

Two skiff questions came up during Mutiny mission.

1. Can the moveable ladder tokens (red and blue) stack on top of each other? Figures can stand on tokens typically but not sure if a token can "stand" on a token. Thematically seems off as the skiff ladders would get tangled up.

2. When the Khetanna arrives can the main guns be used at end of round to shoot at another skiff? Three heroes have been joyriding around in the first skiff and I'd like to shoot them. Basically, are the skiff tiles "on the map" or can I only pick a space on the main map? Or if I target the ladder space on the main map does that do damage to those on the skiff?

Edited by MFL

1. I don't see why the skiffs could not fly on top of each other, ie. the tokens to be in the same space.

2. I would interpret that all of the tiles are "the map", so the Main Gun can choose any of the spaces of any of the tiles currently on the play area, whether the Sarlacc Pit and surroundings or skiffs (including Khetanna itself).

(Choosing a space with a token doesn't cause the token rules to be applied - those only apply to attacks.)

Edited by a1bert