How much retcon can L5R bear?

By Doji Takashi, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

7 minutes ago, Toqtamish said:

Thousand years of peace weren't all that peaceful.

It was until WoTC came and everything was retcon'd.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, tenchi2a said:

So again the story only seems to change to add more females. and not to tell a new story.

I hear they are going to make Isawa Tadaka, in fact the entire Elemental Council, giant talking penises in hats and/or robes. That should help balance things.

5 minutes ago, Tetsuro said:

I hear they are going to make Isawa Tadaka, in fact the entire Elemental Council, giant talking penises in hats and/or robes. That should help balance things.

And the P*nis Clan rises once again from the ashes.

Edited by Bayushi Bajie
8 minutes ago, Tetsuro said:

This was pretty much the case in the old canon too, so I don't think that we would be looking at a lot of difference here.

Yep, Taeruko was design to be one of Thai descent..

20 minutes ago, Bayushi Bajie said:

And the P*nis Clan rises once again from the ashes.

TFW you realize one of your own body parts is a curse word.

29 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

This was pretty much the case in the old canon too, so I don't think that we would be looking at a lot of difference here.

ZING

3 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

WotC indeed tried to tweak the setting, but they did not have enough weight to pull it through. IIRC, they messed around with the world's origins, the Thousand Years of Peace not being peaceful, and all the Hidden Emperor shenanigans (I think they were the ones who introduced the Kolat too).

Nope. The Merchant's Guide to Rokugan was AEG, and the Kolat Assassin and Kolat Master existed in the CCG before WotC.

2 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

It was until WoTC came and everything was retcon'd.

Or it simply wasn't filled in yet. And it was AEG that made the histories not WotC.

4 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

The Merchant's Guide to Rokugan was AEG

Yeah, the Kolat was before WotC, so I remembered wrong there.

1 minute ago, Toqtamish said:

Or it simply wasn't filled in yet.

Supposedly, there wasn't anything to fill it up. Up until 2nd edition, anyway.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Nope. The Merchant's Guide to Rokugan was AEG, and the Kolat Assassin and Kolat Master existed in the CCG before WotC.

The Kolat were in the game from the very beginning (you could find numerous Kolat cards, including the always enjoyable Kolat Servant, in Imperial, the very first CCG core set).

Which isn't surprising, as the Kolat were an in-joke from AEG. They were an organization of dual-classed monk/assassin philosophers from John Zinser's D&D campaign who apparently caused enough trouble and/or enjoyment that AEG thought including them in Rokugan would be fun (Zinser was and is still the president of AEG). You can actually find stats to use the Kolat in your D&D campaign in a SHADIS magazine article published some time before L5R ever started. Even their name was actually a bad SHIELD-like acronym; it was actually KOLAT, and it stood for something suitably James Bond supervillain stupid, like Knights of Lurking And Trouble or something.

Reason #217,856 why the Kolat never did anything for me.

On 5/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, Network57 said:

How did anybody actually like this self-congratulatory drivel?

Presumably because the person recognised my statement as purely academical whereas your ego seems to be threatened by it.

On 5/29/2017 at 6:01 PM, BD Flory said:

You probably shouldn't worry about educating others if you think either linguistics or semantics are limited to dictionary definitions.

I do not limit them to dictionary definitions but when I am being criticised, I am allowed to bring in said definition as a reference, am I not? It has the advantage of not being as subjective as how "actual people" use a specific word.

Also, to dismiss generative grammar just because it is not en vogue is ignorant. Instead of just criticise, you should have told us which basis - other than a dictionary - would have been stronger in your opinion.

26 minutes ago, Doji Takashi said:

Presumably because the person recognised my statement as purely academical whereas your ego seems to be threatened by it.

Wow... like 2 years late to the party on that response....

WE HAVE WORD OF FOUL NECROMANCY!

UNLEASH THE INQUISITORS!

098adedaba439e7370632800df4346c0--lr-pho

On 5/30/2017 at 3:58 AM, Himoto said:

Semantic is the defense of those who don't own their words. - Everything you say following that contradictory statement is ironically based on semantics...

Applying the term "perversion", given its secondary meaning, to a story change that involves a character's sex being changed...well, that gives a much more sinister reading to your line about "educating people in a subtle way". - Did you disregard the clearly pure linguistical context on purpose to promote your belief that religious people who would object ethically to an actual change of sex or people who believe in a natural/biological gender are 'sinister'?

I'm sure that's not what you meant. But being clear about what you mean (say: by avoiding the use of words that could be interpreted otherwise given the circumstances, rather than deliberately using confusing wording "to educate people in a subtle way") is your job when trying to communicate a message. Failure to do so is squarely on your shoulder, whatever (bad) reason you give for it. - Well, I was hoping it is confusing only to a few people, because the majority would know the definition of 'perverted' and those who do not and wish to object would consult a dictionary first. I am sure you can name the model of communication which states that only the sender is responsible for making himself understood whereas the recipient may be as ignorant as he chooses to be.

29 minutes ago, Silver Crane said:

Wow... like 2 years late to the party on that response....

Well, you seem to be a party holdover then since you reacted. 😉

I'm sure Doji-san simply desired the time needed to formulate a properly worded response.

*snaps fan open*

Well, despite Doji Takashi’s tone, I think I can sympathise...I’m sure I come across this way to Star Wars fans who thought The Last Jedi was a “cracking good film” that “breathed new life into the Star Wars franchise”, and the people who rate the prequels higher than the OT.

As an L5R infant (not even a year yet), I cast a sceptical eye over the lore of O5R...it just feels dated, weird and a hot-mess full of crazy in the way only late-80’s/early-90’s settings could be.

I would never have played O5R, and I love L5R.

Honestly, I think the best thing for you might be to just pretend L5R doesn’t exist and play O5R. That’s what I did with X-Wing - I own it, I play it, I love it, but 2.0 is never going to be something I get in to and I just need to come to terms with the fact that there is no more official support for my beloved game. But hey, all my friends play 1.0 because I’m passionate about it and I’m the one who taught them and I’m happy to loan out my stuff to keep the community going. I’m sure you can (or maybe already are) do the same with O5R. You can be the cornerstone for a thriving hipster O5R-revivalist community.

Happy gaming.