Minneapolis Armada

By Red Winter, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

Admirals,

I'm moving to the twin cities area in July. Are there any great facebook groups, games stores, or local gaming groups in the area, especially around Plymouth, Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, or Minnetonka?

I know the area is FFG central (hello, Roseville!), but looking for something even closer to where we may settle in.

Thanks all!

Hmmm. Tower Games on the west side of Minneapolis is probably your best bet. People are usually there on every (sometimes every other) Thursday.

There's also a Facebook group just called Twin Cities Armada that usually has the going-ons around the city and people communicating for games and stuff like that.

Look forward to having you around! Just moving back from college myself, but I'll usually be at FFG on Tuesdays.

You could also try Dreamers in Hopkins, though I'm unsure if they have a crew. Likewise Village Games in Champlin might be an ok spot, where are you moving to?

I'll be at Tower as often as possible (looking to every Thursday for that).

We're mainly looking in the Minnetonka, Plymouth, Maple Grove, and Eden Prairie areas.

Remember, Roseville isn't far and it's hard not to be drawn into the Mother Ship.

There is a monthly small format tournament held at FFGC, that's always a good time. With the store championships going around over the summer, you'll have some events to attend if that is your kind of thing.

Welcome!

Phoenix games is your local game store in minnetonka. I am unaware of them doing any armada but with your restrictions that is your store. I would go there and talk to them about being able to play armada there. They are big into warhammer 40k.

Well, our home is going to be Maple Grove sometime in July. What's the travel time like from there to FFG?

13 minutes ago, Red Winter said:

Well, our home is going to be Maple Grove sometime in July. What's the travel time like from there to FFG?

https://www.distance-cities.com/distance-roseville-mn-to-maple-grove-mn

There are 15.33 miles from Roseville to Maple Grove in northwest direction and 21.51 miles ( Calculating driving distance in kilometers ) by car , following the I-694 W route .

Roseville and Maple Grove are 23 mins far apart, if you drive non-stop.

This is the fastest route from Roseville, MN to Maple Grove, MN .

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

https://www.distance-cities.com/distance-roseville-mn-to-maple-grove-mn

There are 15.33 miles from Roseville to Maple Grove in northwest direction and 21.51 miles ( Calculating driving distance in kilometers ) by car , following the I-694 W route .

Roseville and Maple Grove are 23 mins far apart, if you drive non-stop.

This is the fastest route from Roseville, MN to Maple Grove, MN .

....WHY ARE YOU HERE???? :lol: Haha. You live in CANADA. I DON'T UNDERSTAND

But seriously, that's not too bad at all. Plus, since most of the traffic is coming out of the cities after work, you'll avoid 99% of it heading to FFG. 35W will take you almost right to the doorstep of as well. Very nice place, tons of space, small kitchen, beer on tap. There's a back room where Armada and X-Wing are played with several dozen mats to play on.

Like tgall said, there's a small format tournament hosted about once a month as well that I can't plug enough. Its how I got a Luke Skywalker alt art from GenCon :D

1 minute ago, Card Knight said:

....WHY ARE YOU HERE???? :lol: Haha. You live in CANADA. I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Because I come from Australia.

When I was growing up in Australia, "Hell, we'll just pop down to the Local Games Workshop for some paints" was a five hour drive each way .

So I'm always interested not only in actual distances-to-time for different locations, but different people's perceptions of said distance and how the situations in the area differ to it.

Like, for example - Australia is the size of the United States, and it (barely) has the Population of New York City. In the whole Country. So Trying to lecture me on population density is just basically going to go over my head, because I have no personal frame of reference.

So like, I see the distances that people need to go in the UK between different points for different tournaments, and my mind goes, "Eh, its like, 600km. What are you complaining about a 5 day journey? I used to do those in 5 hours..."

Because its obviously different to be cruising down an Aussie Highway dodgin' Roos at 110, than it is trying to wind your way through halmets and sheep and then major cities cropping up every half-an-hour or so on a UK road.

So its always interesting to see, and I keep an eye on these things because I see different tools for use (such as distance between cities above) that people don't often know of :)

Huh. Interesting. Never even considered the different perceptions travel for different areas. That could be because I at least have a decent from of reference for both situations. To a smaller extent at least, when compared to the differences between the UK and Australia haha.

For Example:
(Living in MN) House to FFG: 18 miles, ~20 minutes since all travel is basically highway going the opposite way of traffic.
(Living in Madison, WI) House to local game store: 5 miles, 20 minutes travel, since then I was going the same way as traffic and there weren't any highways I could leverage.

But Madison is kind of an oddity in terms of travel, both within and traveling in and out of.

I appreciate the replies all the same. It's been a rather dry spell for the past year in California. Looking forward to dusting off the miniatures back in the Midwest.

http://www.renegadeopen.com/schedule/

You will find the above event interesting since, it is located in Plymouth. There is a normal tournament on Saturday and a small format tournament on Sunday.

I would skip Phoenix games, they are the same travel time from Maple Grove, and are actively rude to non-40k players. Tower, FFGC and Village are your best options.