Expansion recommendations

By b4dpxl, in Elder Sign

Hi. I've the the core set, which I really enjoy but isn't a huge challenge. I've also got Omens of Ice, which is brutal; I don't know whether I'm playing it wrong, but I've just got hammered each and every time I've tried it. I've read a few tips, so I'm going to try OoI again, but I fancy another expansion that's somewhere between "too easy" and "too hard". What's the best bet, Gates or Omens of the Deep?

Thanks.

Omens of the Deep is rather on the easish side, Gates is by far the most complex (not the most brutal, but the most complex: playing properly Gates comes with quite a steep learning curve). You can read my comparison between Deep and Ice here

Thanks @Julia . I'll probably give OotD a go. I liked the feel of OoI, it was just too brutal every time we played it.

Omens of Ice is at the moment the most brutal. Not sayin' it's impossible to pass, but it puts a lot of pressure, requires a lot of painful decisions and it's very difficult to find the proper timing to resolve advancing the stages and a good planning and strategy. It's mostly for veteran ES players, so, no worries if you find it hard (especially since you moved there from core game). If you want to stay in Alaska, I'd suggest a few houserules to lower the difficulty bar (for example, storm icons spawning one storm marker in stead of 3). But yeah, moving to a different expansion set could also be a good option. Deep should be fun without being unbeatable

Have fun, and let us know how it goes :)