Introducing new players to RW with 2 core?

By Elkerlyc, in Runewars List Building

Hi,

Coming Friday I'll play a game vs a hopefully new convert.

I have 2 core-games (clue in title)

Given his pretty vast gaming experience I am currently considering simply fielding everything once.

Note that he wants to play the skellies.
So:

Kari, 2x 4 spearmen, 2x Rune Golems, 2x 2 Cavalry vs Arbus, 2x 4 Reanimates, 2x2 archers and 2x Carrion Lancers.

To make things even I'd give the 'terrifying heraldry' upgrade to both reanimate units and 'ancient technique' for Arbus.

This is fair? (and fun?) Bearing in mind I am pretty inexperienced in this game and he has even less. :)

I suggest you tu play the initiation match. With the only change that placing isolated archers in front of cavalry is a retarded idea. Change a bit the suggested deployment scheme and let it be fun!

You feel doubling the number of units is too much?

Bear in mind we both have a lot of (war)game experience.

Do it. I've thrown at least three noob's into the deep end with 2 core sets (fully painted and magnetized). I've even let them take any upgrades (I've got ALL of the future expansions glued to the back of MTG cards) they think are cool sounding. Of course they are going to feel overwhelmed, but not any more so than if they played the watered down 100pts. Of course, all them have at least 5 years of Table Top miniature/mass battle experience.

Between the two if us we have an average of about 20-odd years of wargame experience...

For my first game, we skipped the introductory scenario and played the full rules for a 100-point skirmish and it was fine.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just throw a bunch of units down in their core set formations (no upgrades) and play 3-4 rounds of maneuvering and combat just to get used to the flow of the game, the maneuver templates, and some of the unit abilities. Then back up and do a full game with 2 cores and upgrades and all of that. This would let everyone make some big mistakes early on before the real game so that everyone gets more out of the actual game.

Solid advice. Had not considered that. Will most certainly do.

(maneuver a bit before full game)

I'd have a massive advantage otherwise. Even with only two 'proper' games ahead.