Artillery Golems.

By WWHSD, in Runewars List Building

Playing with some ideas and noticed that a 2x1 Rune Golem Formation can take a Fire Rune (35 points) to throw a range attack and increase its defense at initiative 3. It seems like having the ranged attack mitigates some of the mobility issues that Golems have. To ensure that they've got decent enough red runes to deal damage with you'd want a Greyhaven Channeler in a unit of Spearmen (minimum cost 36).

What do you think? Is it worth committing 71 points for some high defense cannons?

Well, it's expensive, but I can guarantee that if that particular unit is making its way toward my valuable (and fragile) archers, I'll be moving some carrion lancers out to mortal strike them into the ground.

I don't know how effective it will be once cards hit the table, but it makes me nervous.

Well, unfortunately the 2x1 gets no rerolls, nor does the 2x threat do anything for the fire rune. If it were a 1x2, it would get that reroll and get the full damage from the red runes. Then, I think it might be really good.

If only there were some was we could rearrange the trays...

Edited by playnwin

Whoa, this is messed up in a good way. Hello Rune Golem artillery conga line!

I put them on the table and was a little disappointed in their performance I din't take the Channeler because he didn't fit in with the rest of the squad. I didn't have the best luck with the runes and my dice. Having the rerolls from being 1x2 might have helped out. They mostly had higher defense targets to shoot at and the two damage that they were dropping when they did hit wasn't much to write home about.

Edited by WWHSD
On 11. 5. 2017 at 4:55 AM, Elliphino said:

Whoa, this is messed up in a good way. Hello Rune Golem artillery conga line!

The Assault Frigate Toilet Swirl of Runewars.

On May 14, 2017 at 9:38 PM, WWHSD said:

I put them on the table and was a little disappointed in their performance I din't take the Channeler because he didn't fit in with the rest of the squad. I didn't have the best luck with the runes and my dice. Having the rerolls from being 1x2 might have helped out. They mostly had higher defense targets to shoot at and the two damage that they were dropping when they did hit wasn't much to write home about.

Well, that does sound dissappointing. Maybe give it another shot when Hawthorne drops and run the Channeler.

Also, how did the army do over all? I'd imagine that even without doing a ton of Fire Rune damage that having a pair of Rune Golem units should help with that pesky high-defense opponent issue.