First time Roleplayers trying out Grimm

By Kartigan13, in Grimm RPG

So I picked up a copy of Grimm awhile back, the whole setting intrigued me a great deal and I enjoyed reading the book through. I have however, no experience whatsoever with tabletop RPGs. Nor does anyone in my gaming group. We are all avid video and boardgame players, and have been thinking of trying RPGs for awhile now. The question is, which one?

Now since I already own Grimm it may seem natural to start there. But, the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition put out by FFG looks like it could be a pretty nice set for those new to roleplaying. Especially those coming from a boardgaming background who are a bit more used to "feelies". So my question is simple, which role playing game would be the best to start with? Bear in mind that I (as the GM) have no role playing experience whatsoever, nor do any of my players (there are about 3 others).

Grimm seems like it might be nice, being so simple and easy to understand, and the setting looks like it could be a lot of fun for my group. But grasping and understanding a new set of rules has never been a problem for my group (having played many different of boardgames), and the added structure of WHFRP may actually be a good thing for someone new to GMing or RPing in general. So I was curious what you guys thought, can a group of comepletely inexperienced roleplayers sit down at a table to play Grimm and have a fun time with their first role play experience? Or would it be better to start with something like Warhammer to give my players (and myself) a bit more "grounding" to go off of?

Though I'm sure we'd try Grimm either way (once we became more experienced at roleplaying in general), I guess what I'm asking is, is it to un-structured for inexperienced role players to cut their teeth on? Or would the "feelies" of WHFRP be better for a group of first time gamers who are used to seeing a bit more cardboard in front of them? happy.gif

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

We posted a while back didn't we, when you were considering starting to RPG, and I highlighted the then up and coming WFRP to you as an option instead of instead of Grimm?

I'm sure it was you...

anyway, WFRP is now out and I have both that and Grimm and so you might find this useful...

WFRP is in theory a great game for new groups, and its pretty obvious FFG have put work into bringing board gamers, MMO'ers as well as RPGers on board with it.

I personally really like the system and it's fixed or at least tries to fix some of the stuff I have problems with in some other RPGs, admittedly some other RPGers are finding that a problem with the system, as they were the things those people liked in other systems! Obviously with you coming fresh to that, it wouldn't be an issue for you.

The rule book for WFRP could do with some re-formating, but most of the unknowns and and issues with that info has been clarified via the FAQ and on that board there are now quite a few people who have the rules pretty nailed down.

Quite a few ideas in that game, I can see originating in some of the Grimm rules, especially the abstract nature of the combat.

I really like both games, so when choosing one to go with your first RPG with it really comes down to this...

Grimm has more aspects of a classic RPG than WFRP does (at least in a more immediately recognisible way) although combat in both games is pretty different to most other RPGs given its abstract nature, as mentioned. So it could be a decent lead into RPGers in general despite it quite niche fluff concepts.

BUT, and it's a big but... WFRP has lots of stuff that should and can make GMing and introducing RPGs to new people easier. I think the risk with it, is that although there is a lot of good advice in the GM book on running the game (the advice is really good believe me, and if you have it, read that chapter regardless of what system you end up playing!), the game gives the GM a lot of freedom in how the rules are implemented, and such, and I guess that could be a bit overwhelming for a new GM. Having said that though, the system is really forgiving in that if you make a mistake here and there it is very simple to rectify that going foward.

Much of what I have said is also true of Grimm, but i think WFRP just edges it because of the GM guidance chapter and touchy felly tools to make your job easier.

One other thing to consider is that on the WFRP board there is a lot of activity from experienced GMs, people who are RPGing for the first time just like you, and most interestingly some people who haven't RPGed in years but who have been dragged back into the hobby by the new concepts in the system.

So posting there questions and seeking advice will provide lots of ready info and so that could well make your whole GM experience a lot easier (although you may need to be careful not to pick up a few bad habits too! ;) )

So to try and summarise, i think you may need to presevere with WFRP a little just to get your head around some of the concepts introduced in the game, because some of the rules aren't the best explained out there (but the FAQ and the message board help a lot with that) BUT once you have managed that the rules work like a breeze, and it is going to be supported both by fans and FFG to a much greater extent going forward than Grimm is, so if I were you, I'd try WFRP and see where that takes you...

hopefully that rambling is a bit helpful!!?

oh a couple of other simple things to consider...

WFRP already has a demo adventure out (just a couple of encounters really) plus one comes with the core set; it's this kind of support and playability out of the box, that makes the game that much easier to pick up and use than Grimm, where you'd need to find or create you own adventure, never easy for a first time GM, especially if you don't have other adventures to base them on (and grimm adventures are pretty thin on the ground, AFAIK)

I believe I did post that awhile back Pumpkin, and I believe you did answer :) . Thanks for that, and sorry for my indecision, but I was hoping to get a perspective now that WHFRP was out, which is exactly what you gave me! I did post a similar thread on the Warhammer forum, and got a lot of responses, enough to convince me to buy the game. Your responses here though, have made me decide to try it first with my group instead of Grimm. The combination of demo scenarios already being out, more active fanbase, more content being released, and lots of "touchy feelies" for my boardgaming group means that we'll give it a try first. If we enjoy ourselves I'm sure we'll move onto Grimm! Thanks a ton for answering my questions (not once, but twice!), and I'll be sure to read the Tome of Adventure from my Warhammer set now that it's arrived. I don't think my group will be able to get together for a few weeks, but I'm really excited for it. Thanks again.

On a side note, I think FFG should pay you a commission! Despite being a big fan of theirs and looking into Pen & Paper RPGs for the first time, I had no idea they were making a 3rd Edition of Warhammer until you mentioned it and I checked it out. I had barely even heard of Warhammer, but I'm really glad I bought it now, and I can't wait to give it a try!

hope you have fun!

I think Grimm would be a great way to start. I am new to RPG's and it is the first game I have ever played, and I found it very easy to understand.

My boyfriend and our group of friends play a bunch of them but none of them really interested me till we found Grimm...and I love it! I am sad that we can't play it very often.