1st time my assault frigate hit the map in 2 years

By Darth Sanguis, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Had a friendly game this weekend against an imperial fleet.

Ic7cEYx.jpg

y9CbbOA.jpg

CjmW7eA.jpg

nGDbGpr.jpg

I only lost a single E-wing in the whole engagement. Tabled him beginning of round 6.

Basically he deployed his ISD too far away, so I lined up on his kittens. After I broadsided and squadron bombed both his kittens and his gozanti to death, I used 1st activation advantage to keep the ISD at long range while my fighters gave it what for...

I really enjoyed the assault frigate, it handled a lot better than I remember in wave 1.... maybe I've just gotten better as a player?

I must have blinked over the first photo first time, I was wondering where the rest of their fleet was :D

I think the Assault Frigate is due a return, its one of the most effective carriers going. Up to 4 squadron activations at once, can pack flight controllers, actually has a reasonable battery itself and has a certain title..... Plus add Cracken and it more than steps its game up.

13 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

I must have blinked over the first photo first time, I was wondering where the rest of their fleet was :D

I think the Assault Frigate is due a return, its one of the most effective carriers going. Up to 4 squadron activations at once, can pack flight controllers, actually has a reasonable battery itself and has a certain title..... Plus add Cracken and it more than steps its game up.

He was not prepared for what I did. lol

It's probably not "optimized" for competitive play but considering how easily it tore up a motti ISD fleet, I may run the next tournament here with this. Being able to throw 3-6 damage in bombers before I even took my shots made it way too easy to kill things at long range....

Fun stuff!

tohgBEm.png

Please for the love of all things holy, take an intel unit. And you need VCX for fighter ambush. Jamming Barrier doesnt affect Ackbar dice as they are ADDED after the initial dice pool...

5 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Please for the love of all things holy, take an intel unit. And you need VCX for fighter ambush. Jamming Barrier doesnt affect Ackbar dice as they are ADDED after the initial dice pool...

Yeah the original version had HWKs in place of the E-wings, but I figured if I ever played against a fighter heavy fleet, I'd just use the Xs and Es to chew up what they had and play asset denial at long range with the actual ships... Fighters add up quick when you pop one or two a turn (seemed like a good idea at the time? lol)

I need the VCX for fighter ambush? For the relay I presume? To do a turn one alpha strike?

To be honest, I had thought about it, but it was cheaper just to give all my carriers boosted comms. I figured I'd place mid mat out of range 5(+/-2) to avoid a-wings or interceptors. The idea being I may not get the turn 1 strike, but turn 2 both my ships and fighters should be in perfect position to tear **** up at long range.

He wasn't actually playing jamming barrier, he had just forgotten to pull the objective tokens up after he hyperspaced his Goz in. There's a token hidden under my AF. lol One of those kittens would've been a bigger threat to hyperspace assault with but... he thought he could get behind me with fighters. Lost and E-wing to Jendon/stele but by then his fleet had already taken massive casualties.

You misunderstood. You werent playing jamming barrier, but you could!

1 minute ago, Ginkapo said:

You misunderstood. You werent playing jamming barrier, but you could!

That.... is an excellent point.

Opening Salvo?

37 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Opening Salvo?

I'm a big fan of OS, especially against some of my local meta's ISD heavy fleets.... You don't have to sink anything to get a big point boost...

Can't tell ya how many engagements I've won with small ships against ISDs just from putting 3-4 damage on them round 4 or 5

19 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I'm a big fan of OS, especially against some of my local meta's ISD heavy fleets.... You don't have to sink anything to get a big point boost...

Can't tell ya how many engagements I've won with small ships against ISDs just from putting 3-4 damage on them round 4 or 5

I can see that. All good then.

Yep, that was my secret for a good long while...

"I can't kill Star Destroyers. I can hurt them, but they just obliterate me back....

... Oh you know what... Now I don't need to."

But my opponents wised up and stopped choosing it :D

24 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Yep, that was my secret for a good long while...

"I can't kill Star Destroyers. I can hurt them, but they just obliterate me back....

... Oh you know what... Now I don't need to."

But my opponents wised up and stopped choosing it :D

There's no shame in playing the objectives in the face of overwhelming firepower... lol

The guy who started our game group was considerably the best, 150+ games under his belt compared to maybe 20-30 for the rest of us. He knew our meta well enough that he could run any 1 of like 4 fleets and keep us all from beating him. One of our least skilled players decided he was gonna try 3 mc30s a GR75 and sato.... with opening salvo, against 3 ISDs.... he put a little damage on each and walked away with 150 point victory. It inspired many of us to start focusing on objectives a little harder.