Are the expansions wworth the cost?

By plem45, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

Opinions on the expansions? what is best? do iget them all or just a particular one?

Friends and Foes is ok if the base game is too easy for you. Most say it is vital and that the game was really developped with it in mind.

Sauron introduces an evil player to an otherwise coop game. This is a question wether you like it or not. It has interesting mechanics.

Battlefields is pretty weak. Just like FoF it makes the game harder and more strategically so. However it is incredibly ugly (looks like flowcharts) and ist quite disconnected from the game.

IMO the expansions do NOT mix well. They work technically, but its just too much to keep track off/too difficult. I am a completionist, so I got them all, but I dunno. The base game is fine as is and especially the Battelfields are not needed IMO.

The base game is fine.

However, if you're a real LoTR fan and miss the locations and characters not included in the base game, the F&F will do that. But from a pure gaming point of view you don't need it.

Sauron really transforms the game it something else. Some folks don't much like coop games and want a strong competative element. Sauron Gives you that.

I haven't really bothered with battlefields since, as previously mentioned, it looks a bit ugly.

In my opinion they are all great and worth buying. Yes Battlefields does look a bit strange and some people just see it as adding unnecessary complexity - but I think it adds depth and addresses story elements not previously covered.

I think the base game is fine as it is. I never tried out Friends & Foes as many reviews said that it is not really neccessary as it doesn't change much of the game. I picked up the Sauron expansion bc I wanted to have the option of a confrontational game version of LotR.

The problem is you won't get these two expansions for the retail price anymore (and even the retail price was quite high compared to the contents). The collectors' prices you pay these days (at least in Europe) are exaggerated and not justified in cost-benefit ratio unless you are a die-hard completist.

Do we know if they are planning on reprinting these expansions? Looking at the store, it has F&F, but it is out of stock, and the other 2 aren't even listed.