The Signal, a Twilight Imperium short story

By TomIrony, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Hey! I wrote a short story based on some of the lore on the back the race sheets. I won't reveal which ones as that would spoil the story!

You can read the story here !

VERY nice! If FFG will ever think about making a table top rpg in the Twilight Imperium universe, I hope they at least ask you to write an adventure or two.

I wouldn't say no to that! My friend and I were just talking about revamping a tabletop RPG set in the TI universe (I think there was already one made in the 90's).

The question, for me, is when in the Twilight Imperium timeline an RPG might be set. Every time would have its own pros and cons i suppose.

That being said, the time with the strongest draw would have to be the pre-war era. While the Lazax still held it together. More stable environment for such a small group of characters.

Edited by Fnoffen
for spelling

I would set it in the present day as the "default" setting, but have some scenarios set during critical moments in the lore.

The best thing to do would be to ensure players have all the tools they need to decide where/when they want to set their campaigns.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking that the Player Characters, or perhaps rather the PC group, would be something akin to one of the heroes that are added as an optional rule in one of the expansions (I forget which one).

Maybe it could even be possible to purchase certain tech-advancement-based equipment for the groups ship if you have a high enough standing with the faction(s) that have happened to researched it.

Edited by Fnoffen
for elaboration

Nice story. I read that a few months ago but never replied to voice my appreciation. Consider it done.

As I was thinking about the core of my TI RPG, I considered making it primarily about the Mentak Coalition as it provides the most opportunities for multiculturalism - something desirable in a RPG but not in a faction-based board game like TI. In the end I decide to give the campaign a more neutral approach, but Mentak would definitely be the faction of choice if a more boradgame-like focus was required.

I decided to set my RPG a few years before the present TI timeline and make the return of the L1Z1X the focal point of the campaign. I like the "renaissance" feel and the rediscovery or ancient technologies. I could see the interest in a Lazax Imperium game too; mid to late Age of Dusk when races don't hate each other too much yet but with going opportunities for trouble and "adventures". Played canonically, this would rule out the L1Z1X, the Ghost of Creuss, the Necro Virus and (i think) the Arborec; all of which make lousy PC races anyway (although it would open-up the Lazax themselves) . It would also rule out the Naalu and perhaps the Yin brothers as PC.

Excellent story! Do you have plans for any more?