Collision, Squaring Up and Threat

By jonboyjon1990, in Runewars Rules Questions

Played my first game last night. So here's some rules questions we had.

The spearmen unit collided with the reanimates during a charge.

gD0lhdS.jpg

So they square up right? And as part of that, they have to slide down until, and only until at least 1 tray is aligned? They can't slide until all trays are aligned?

And then later, when attaching, their threat is only 1 right, because that's how many trays they have touching, despite having 2 trays in their front rank?

So this also means that when big units attack 1 tray units (like Rune Golems and Heroes) their threat is only ever 1?

Yup when squaring up the first oppertunity to allign is where you stop. As for the threat. I think it stays the same no matter if you are touching 1 or more trays. However if you charge a unit that is 3 by 2 and charge it in the side flank its threat is 2 rather then 3.

Please correct me if im wrong tho.

Yes threat is based on the full length of the contact edge, not only the trays actually in contact

Ok thanks guys. I just find the wording of Threat in the rules reference a bit confusing:

a unit's threat is equal to the number of trays that comprise the contacted edge

Ok makes sense

if the contacted edge is shortened by a partial rank, calculate the number of trays as if the partial rank was not present

But ranks are only horizontal rows, right? So when a unit is flanked and has taken damage, it's Threat is reduced?

So the contacted edge is the above picture is still considered two trays for purposes of Threat, even if only one tray is in actual contact?

Edited by jonboyjon1990
13 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

So the contacted edge is the above picture is still considered two trays for purposes of Threat, even if only one tray is in actual contact?

That's right.

1 hour ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Ok thanks guys. I just find the wording of Threat in the rules reference a bit confusing:

Ok makes sense

But ranks are only horizontal rows, right? So when a unit is flanked and has taken damage, it's Threat is reduced?

Remember that a tray is counted at full effect until its removed, the actual amount of figures on the tray does not matter when calculating threat or counting ranks. A partial rank is a rank with at least one tray less then the front rank of the unit.

So if a 3x3 unit has lost one tray at its back right corner and it being flanked from the right side it would only have a threat of 2 when attacking. If the same unit with the same lost tray was flanked from the left however it would count its full threat of 3.

Edited by Soulless