Overlapping and charging, or "squaring up, how do?"

By Tvayumat, in Runewars Rules Questions

A unit charges. The target unit is engaged with another friendly unit already.

The charging unit, if it simply completes the movement, but doesn't square up, WOULD be overlapping a friendly unit in the final position.

If the charging unit squared up, it would no longer be overlapping the friendly unit.

How solve? What do, and why?

If I understand the question correctly, you'd bump the allied unit and come to a stop since you are only able to ignore a single tray of each allied unit if you are able to complete the move without overlapping an obstacle. The enemy unit is an obstacle that you overlap. The charging unit would also receive a panic token because it would not collide with an enemy unit.

I agree with WWHSD. Squaring Up (77) states that " After a unit collides with an enemy unit, it attempts to square up with an enemy unit." (emphasis mine). This means that movement and collision must be fully resolved before you move on to squaring up.

Bullet 2 of 55.3 says that you ignore 1 tray of allies only if you do not overlap that ally at the end of the move. In the case above, you are overlapping that allied unit at the end of the move, before squaring up, so you collide with the ally instead of the enemy.

The wording of Squaring Up seems to support that. It doesn't occur until after collision happens, so the final position for overlapping is before squaring up occurs.

Just wanted to put it to the hivemind. Had this happen with a tolerance of millimeters.

14 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I agree with WWHSD. Squaring Up (77) states that " After a unit collides with an enemy unit, it attempts to square up with an enemy unit." (emphasis mine). This means that movement and collision must be fully resolved before you move on to squaring up.

Bullet 2 of 55.3 says that you ignore 1 tray of allies only if you do not overlap that ally at the end of the move. In the case above, you are overlapping that allied unit at the end of the move, before squaring up, so you collide with the ally instead of the enemy.

What's interesting is that the sections on overlapping and obstacles in the RRG only have you count the ally as an obstacle if you can't completely clear that ally. It doesn't mention any other obstacles as things that will cause that ally to block movement.

The Learn To Play booklet also has overlapping other obstacles cause the ally to block movement:

LtP, pg. 8:
"A unit can move through allied units
as long it would not overlap more than a single tray of each
allied unit during this movement. It may not end its movement
overlapping an allied unit or obstacle"

I agree with this. The full movement needs to be completed before squaring in is done. And in the above it seems the charger would collide with a friendly unit before colliding with the enemy so the charge fails and charger received a panic token.

Was I the opponent I would have wished there were rules for "friendly fire" :)

48 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Was I the opponent I would have wished there were rules for "friendly fire" :)

As cool as that would be, I really only see it working with ranged attacks and the Impact ability.