Sanity check: Exiting terrain

By kaffis, in Runewars Rules Questions

So check my interpretation, here, folks.

When you exit terrain, you place your unit with an edge (back or other, depending on whether you marched or shifted) touching the terrain... and then that's it, right? Marching out of terrain with a 1march is the same as marching out of it with a 4march, the only difference is probably the initiative at which you do it?

It's unclear to me whether or not you perform the action that you dialed in after exiting. Both the learn to play guide and the RRG mention that when you dial in a march or a shift that you exit the terrain and then go on to explain how to place your unit when exiting terrain. Neither seems to say one way or the other whether exiting the terrain ends the action or if you resolve the action as normal once you have exited the terrain.

Edited by WWHSD

Yup, hence the post. Considering you enter the terrain "for free" with a mere touch, and get a free reform out of the deal, I could see stalling on exit.

On the other hand, it seems pretty punitive for fast units, and given how exposed it can leave you, makes it seem like a trap for new players, which is usually weak design.

Edited by kaffis

You place the unit, and that's it.

49 minutes ago, kaffis said:

On the other hand, it seems pretty punitive for fast units, and given how exposed it can leave you, makes it seem like a trap for new players, which is usually weak design.

I feel certain it's supposed to be that way. Terrain should slow you down somewhat, but the rules for moving into terrain actually let you zip ahead a bit. The slow exit keeps it from being exploitable and makes it slightly more realistic.

I don't mean to be stubborn, but I'm currently not convinced one way or another.

1 hour ago, kaffis said:

Yup, hence the post. Considering you enter the terrain "for free" with a mere touch, and get a free reform out of the deal, I could see stalling on exit.

It's not quite "for free", you do lose your right hand dial when you you collide with terrain.

1 hour ago, JasonGlass said:

I feel certain it's supposed to be that way. Terrain should slow you down somewhat, but the rules for moving into terrain actually let you zip ahead a bit. The slow exit keeps it from being exploitable and makes it slightly more realistic.

That's a good point that most terrain ought to slow you down some. The thing that nags me is that it does so unevenly. It barely slows slow units down much at all (thanks to the zipping ahead you point out), but it slows fast units down a TON if that's the way it works. Which might just be the way it is.

47 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I don't mean to be stubborn, but I'm currently not convinced one way or another.

I do think that either way, it should get a FAQ post haste, as it's incredibly ambiguous since both sides of the argument basically boil down to a negative. "It doesn't say you DON'T complete the action after placement!" "Well, it doesn't say you DO, either!" The rules basically say nothing to support either argument, and both are built on negative space, which is crazy.

I sent this very question into FFG on saturday i was going to post a thread when I get a response but I will post it here instead.

For now though the L2P does state "To exit terrain, a unit does not use a movement template. Instead, the unit is removed from the terrain..."

The rules reference section on this(81.3) states "While occupying terrain, a unit can perform all of its actions and modifiers as normal with the exeption of the march and shift actions. If the unit performs a march or shift action while occupying terrain, it immediately exits the terrain." It then goes on to say how to place your unit if you exit the terrain "by performing a march action" or "by performing a shift action."

Use of the word 'by' instead of 'during' or 'as part of' puts me in the 'exiting is the action' camp.

One last thing, the rules never say to cancel your modifier for exiting. So, a unit with a shift or march modifer, such as cav, can exit the terrain as their main action, then move away from it.

22 hours ago, kaffis said:

That's a good point that most terrain ought to slow you down some. The thing that nags me is that it does so unevenly. It barely slows slow units down much at all (thanks to the zipping ahead you point out), but it slows fast units down a TON if that's the way it works. Which might just be the way it is.

But that is how terrain works, or rather worked, in real life. Certain types and sizes of infantry could pass through woods with minimal disruption to their formations, while cavalry avoided it as much as possible. In my mind, cavalry should be penalized far more. But I also get that reality is a poor argument here. :D

I think some of you are confusing the specific terms for the dial options here. A Modifier specifically refers to an icon that changes how certain types of actions are performed, like the Turn or Charge modifiers change what movement tool you use when taking a March or Shift action, or change the rules for what you do when colliding with an enemy unit. Next, the command dial also has Enhancements which add a result or effect to the action, or change the value of a stat until the end of the turn, like how +Hit adds a hit to your attack, or +Defense adds to your defense value. Last are the Bonus Actions, where the second wheel contains a second action that you can take, in addition to the main action.

To exit terrain, you have to sacrifice a March or Shift action, which triggers the exiting process (and determines how that exiting takes place). The actual move action is not conducted, as the unit was not actually on the board while it occupied the terrain, and could not move. Once the unit is on the board, any bonus actions would be completed as part of its activation.

In the case of the Oathsworn Cavalry, they could take a March 4 + March 2, with the first March being the main action, and the second March being the bonus action. In this case, 81.3 is the relevant rule: "If the unit performs a march or shift action while occupying terrain, it immediately exits the terrain." So the first March action, regardless of how far it would normally cause you to move, just triggers the rule for exiting terrain: 81.4 which says "When a unit exits a piece of terrain, that unit is removed from that piece of terrain and placed on the play area so that part of one of the unit’s edges is touching the edge of the terrain." At that point, the main action is resolved, and you would perform any bonus actions. At this point, the cavalry would March 2, moving away from the terrain. If they had an upgrade that added a free turn modifier, they could use this modifier when performing the March 2 action.

1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

RkI think some of you are confusing the specific terms for the dial options here. A Modifier specifically refers to an icon that changes how certain types of actions are performed, like the Turn or Charge modifiers change what movement tool you use when taking a March or Shift action, or change the rules for what you do when colliding with an enemy unit. Next, the command dial also has Enhancements which add a result or effect to the action, or change the value of a stat until the end of the turn, like how +Hit adds a hit to your attack, or +Defense adds to your defense value. Last are the Bonus Actions, where the second wheel contains a second action that you can take, in addition to the main action.

To exit terrain, you have to sacrifice a March or Shift action, which triggers the exiting process (and determines how that exiting takes place). The actual move action is not conducted, as the unit was not actually on the board while it occupied the terrain, and could not move. Once the unit is on the board, any bonus actions would be completed as part of its activation.

In the case of the Oathsworn Cavalry, they could take a March 4 + March 2, with the first March being the main action, and the second March being the bonus action. In this case, 81.3 is the relevant rule: "If the unit performs a march or shift action while occupying terrain, it immediately exits the terrain." So the first March action, regardless of how far it would normally cause you to move, just triggers the rule for exiting terrain: 81.4 which says "When a unit exits a piece of terrain, that unit is removed from that piece of terrain and placed on the play area so that part of one of the unit’s edges is touching the edge of the terrain." At that point, the main action is resolved, and you would perform any bonus actions. At this point, the cavalry would March 2, moving away from the terrain. If they had an upgrade that added a free turn modifier, they could use this modifier when performing the March 2 action.

This is the way that makes most sense with the rules imo.

Works fluffy as well, while in terrain a unit is no longer in formation but scattered around the terrain.

When a march or shift is spent to exit, it simply represents the time needed for all the troops to exit the terrain and form up out of it!

Entering/exiting terrain may waste some precious actions but there is strategy and maneuverability to be found through it as well!

the larger terrain pieces makes the battlefield really interesting imo

7 hours ago, drkpnthr said:

I think some of you are confusing the specific terms for the dial options here. A Modifier specifically refers to an icon that changes how certain types of actions are performed, like the Turn or Charge modifiers change what movement tool you use when taking a March or Shift action, or change the rules for what you do when colliding with an enemy unit. Next, the command dial also has Enhancements which add a result or effect to the action, or change the value of a stat until the end of the turn, like how +Hit adds a hit to your attack, or +Defense adds to your defense value. Last are the Bonus Actions, where the second wheel contains a second action that you can take, in addition to the main action.

Enhancement is a specific type of modifier that enhances an attack.

Right. Defense is not an enhance modifier.

@drkpnthr everything on the modifier dial is a modifier as per section 49 in the rules reference. These come in 4 forms: movement modifiers(RR56), defend(RR23), enhance(RR35), and bonus actions(RR14).

Also when exiting terrain your march or shift action is still performed, it just doesn't use the templates, it uses the rules for exiting terrain instead.

This question is a little bit uncertain, but I do feel that the intention is that you ONLY exit the terrain, like @Orcdruid is saying.