Twin Troopers: Imperial Decorum

By dietz057, in Imperial Assault Organized Play

Great write up!

I see a lot of same-minded thoughts and conclusions to when I used to run WOTC events years ago

Thanks!

Say I'm at worlds at I'm running Shyla and I decide I want to gain a movement point at the beginning of my turn and then I change my mind and decide I want to recover a health at the beginning of my turn. Should I just forget about it or is it OK to ask to change my mind since nothing has happened yet? Or if I move someone 4 spaces one way, but want their last movement point to be one space to the left or something. In chess after you take your hand off the piece your move is official, is that basically the feeling with IA or is it a little looser? At the regional tournaments I've been at the players have been pretty forgiving for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure what to expect at worlds. What if I say "I'm going to activate Luke, no wait actually 3P0." I feel like that sort of thing happens all the time in this game. I personally would allow my opponent these minor changes if nothing else has happened during the timing instance. I feel like if a card is revealed or a timing window is passed then it's too late though.

I've never really had any problems with things like that during games. I'm sure there's somebody who's going to be a jerk about it though, so it wouldn't hurt to ask your opponent ahead of time.

If you start taking forever to decide what to do with lots of "no wait, I want to do this" then it starts to become a problem.

You should expect that if you move then attack, you can't "correct" your movement afterward.

Also, it starts to become a problem if you move a guy some number of spaces, then are like "Wait, where was he again?"

In the end, relying on being able to adjust/take things back is a crutch you should try to avoid. Not that I don't do this myself.

2 hours ago, brettpkelly said:

Say I'm at worlds at I'm running Shyla and I decide I want to gain a movement point at the beginning of my turn and then I change my mind and decide I want to recover a health at the beginning of my turn. Should I just forget about it or is it OK to ask to change my mind since nothing has happened yet? Or if I move someone 4 spaces one way, but want their last movement point to be one space to the left or something. In chess after you take your hand off the piece your move is official, is that basically the feeling with IA or is it a little looser? At the regional tournaments I've been at the players have been pretty forgiving for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure what to expect at worlds. What if I say "I'm going to activate Luke, no wait actually 3P0." I feel like that sort of thing happens all the time in this game. I personally would allow my opponent these minor changes if nothing else has happened during the timing instance. I feel like if a card is revealed or a timing window is passed then it's too late though.

In my experience at World's or really anywhere else I've never played with anyone who's tried to enforce that sort of strictness. Even if they did, there doesn't appear to be anything in the rules that covers it.

Generally, as you said, nothing significant happens, it's not a problem to change your mind about things like movement and activation. Once dice are rolled or cards are played/exhausted, that's when the line is drawn for take backs.