Map of Mennara

By Budgernaut, in Runewars Lore and History of Terrinoth

Menara-Map-crop.jpg

This is a map of Mennara from the Diskwars era. This is on part of the rules insert that came with the Diskwars Legions boxes.

As @Hidatom noticed, this map does not seem to match the descriptions of Mennara from the recent lore guide, but considering lots of time and 3 great wars have occurred between this map and the current state of Mennara in Runewars, it's hard to say how the land may have changed. It's also worth noting that cardinal directions are not indicated on this map, so we are only assuming that North is up.

Let's list some of the descriptions from the lore guide for you to compare to this map:

• "The Aymhelin -- the greatest forest in all Mennara -- stretches from the south of Terrinoth and west of the Ru to the southern ocean."
  • "East beyond the careful watch of Hernfar Isle in Terrinoth's northeast, and as far south as the edge of the Aymhelin, the sunbleached steppes of the Ru gleam across the wide Lothan River."
  • "Something stirs in the north. Long has the thirteenth barony lay dormant, but now, each day another village is swallowed into the mists." (From the learn to play booklet)

The Aymhelin does not appear anywhere on this map. Is it the same as Lotharia, the home of the elves during the first darkness? If so, it should border the Ru Darklands, which it does not.

The Ru appears to be norhtwest, rather than northeast. Perhaps North is to the left of this map? That would work for the relative position of the baronies to the Ru, because that big green area in the right-center is where the Knights of Falladir once dwelt (though Knights also lived in the Thelgrim Peninsula to the left).

During the first darkness, the Thelgrim Peninsula was lost to the Uthuk and the undead of Farrenghast. Could that be the northern Mistlands now?

Edited by Budgernaut
10 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

each day another village is swallowed into the mists

I wonder if The Mistlands is a growing area as Waiqar's influence spreads? The mists have been described as "Waiqar's mists" in Descent. It's tricky trying to join up the lore (which I'm trying to do for creating my campaigns for Descent) and there are odd snippets too such as the mention of the Daewyl elves in Zarihell's description.

FFG really need to do a lore book from the various games so it's all in one place (well at least what we have so far)!

3 hours ago, Martinslair said:

I wonder if The Mistlands is a growing area as Waiqar's influence spreads? The mists have been described as "Waiqar's mists" in Descent. It's tricky trying to join up the lore (which I'm trying to do for creating my campaigns for Descent) and there are odd snippets too such as the mention of the Daewyl elves in Zarihell's description.

FFG really need to do a lore book from the various games so it's all in one place (well at least what we have so far)!

I strongly suspect they will do a larger lore book and it will likely conflict with older lore same as some of the more recent stuff conflicts with old Disc Wars lore from back when this setting was new. I'd Runewars TMG lore book and forward is the new direction and the most "valid".

I can't figure out where the runebound map would fit in here. That's a pretty updated map of a few of the free cities, so I'd imagine it would be 'canon' for runewars as well.

EDIT: Just realized this is diskwars era, so it'll probably be a lot different compared to whatever world map they might make nowadays.

Edited by Willange

looks like part of a map here...
o4hyR2j.jpg

On 18/04/2017 at 11:41 PM, Hidatom said:

looks like part of a map here...

Where's that from?

2 hours ago, Martinslair said:

Where's that from?

That is from the terrain cards.

That map... brings back so many memories.

The interesting thing is it really looks like the Uthuk need to come through the dwarves before they get to the Daqann.

pic2721709.jpg

Compare this map to the one above.

It looks like the elves will be completely untouched by hostilities, mostly supporting the Baronies. The Thelgrim penninsula has changed, the Mistlands are now where the Broken plains used to be, the orcs are now in dwarf lands, and the dwarves aren't a buffer between the Ru and the Baronies anymore.

Where this map came from?

1 minute ago, noteclado said:

It says in the lower-right corner that it is fan-made.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

It says in the lower-right corner that it is fan-made.

Thanks! xD

53 minutes ago, noteclado said:

An attempt to piece together what they knew, like the wild continent with Mahkim on it in one of the Runebound expansions.

this map makes no sense when you read the (new?) lore in the book.
Ru comes from the East (Northeast?)and the undead are in the North.

Anyone got the original map in this thread? I know it was a while back...

Jukey has one in his campaign thread.

Uthuk: East map edge

Elves: South. Not map edge because of water, but south of other represented factions.
Daqan: Center of map. Largest total area.
Waiqar: North of Daqan. Maybe northWest-ish

Just in case its helpful, there is a map of Terrinoth region on that gamemat for Heroes of Terrinoth

ter02_gamemat_700x.png