Squaring Up and Terrain during a Charge

By All In, in Runewars Rules Questions

(See Attached Image)

Would love to get feedback on if we handled this correctly.

Scenario:

Unit A is the active unit and has a March + Charge to charge at Unit C (Left Side Corner).

Unit A attempts to charge and only overlaps one Ally Tray of Unit B then "engages" the upper left tray corner of Unit C.

Unfortunately the terrain (rock) is in the way as well as Unit B's tray.

Normally Unit A would swing to the left side and square up at the yellow line which is no possible due to the terrain (rock).

Next would be to rotate to the other side where Unit B is and slide down to the orange line but that is also blocked by terrain (fortification).

What happens to Unit A's charge? Does it fail? We figured it failed because it cannot swing around to the back side as rules written and even if it could it seems like the terrain would then benefit Unit A for flanking instead of preventing the charge as it should.

Seems terrain and other obstacles can really mess with placement at times or make for very odd squaring up.

Also, does "engage" happen as soon as enemy units are collided with or does it wait until a legal movement is finished? i.e. does the charge not engage in the first place due to not being able to place Unit A due to collisions?

Thoughts?

charge-fail.jpg

Edited by All In

55.3 says that you don't stop movement for overlapping no more than 1 allied tray during the move, but you cannot end your movement on top of any obstacle, including friendlies. Even if the rock were not there, A would not be able to successfully charge because its final position after the move and before squaring up would overlap B.

That's my take on the situation.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

55.3 says that you don't stop movement for overlapping no more than 1 allied tray during the move, but you cannot end your movement on top of any obstacle, including friendlies. Even if the rock were not there, A would not be able to successfully charge because its final position after the move and before squaring up would overlap B.

This is my understanding as well

What happens if you can finish moving but can't square up?

Edited by Klaxas
3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

So "engage' does not occur as soon as they collided but after the movement is deemed legal?

1 minute ago, All In said:

So "engage' does not occur as soon as they collided but after the movement is deemed legal?

Well, they technically haven't collided because the marching unit (A) never touched the enemy unit (C). It would have touched it, but because the allied unit (B) was occupying that space, the marching unit (A) comes up short and is never engaged with the enemy unit.

55.3, second bullet: " If the unit would overlap no more than a single tray of an allied unit during a move and does not overlap any part of that allied unit at the end of the move , that allied unit is not treated as an obstacle and does not cause a collision. To complete this movement, the unit may need to be picked up and moved over the allied unit." [bold and italics used for emphasis]

It's important to remember that squaring up is not part of movement. It happens after a collision, which happens after movement. So all of the movement needs to be complete before you can get to squaring up.

If you collide and cannot square up from the position you collided at, first you slide along the contacted edge until you can clear the obstacle stopping you from squaring up. If you can't do this, you don't square up and stay in the position you were in when you collided. You are still touching and still engaged.

20 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

If you collide and cannot square up from the position you collided at, first you slide along the contacted edge until you can clear the obstacle stopping you from squaring up. If you can't do this, you don't square up and stay in the position you were in when you collided. You are still touching and still engaged.

Except these can't stay in the position when they collided.

Just now, All In said:

Except these can't stay in the position when they collided.

@Klaxas asked what happens if they collide but can't square up. I just forgot to quote him.

1 hour ago, rowdyoctopus said:

@Klaxas asked what happens if they collide but can't square up. I just forgot to quote him.

Thank you.

Not to get nitpicky here but according to your exmple picture unit A would collide with the rock before touching unit C. Even if unit B were not there.

4 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

Not to get nitpicky here but according to your exmple picture unit A would collide with the rock before touching unit C. Even if unit B were not there.

Yes sorry I should have lined up the rock a little more left.

Also A would get a panic token for a failed charge (I didn't see that mentioned yet, if it was, disregard)

I was perusing these rules for another thread and wanted to mention: 34.3.i mentions how you can use a corner to legal engage an enemy unit. As long as your corner is touching, or you are touching their corner, you use the edge you would contact on if you could get in contact.

10 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

So you fight as usual counting as flanking with an extra dice an so on even not squared up?

5 hours ago, Hijodecain said:

So you fight as usual counting as flanking with an extra dice an so on even not squared up?

You are only flanking if your front edge is in contact with an enemy's side or back edge. This isn't possible if you can't square up. You can still attack each other.

EDIT - I'm wrong. The engagement rules say you consider your edge that would square up to be the contact edge.

Edited by rowdyoctopus