Charging question

By Lyraeus, in Runewars Rules Questions

What happens when you charge, Collide but when you square up it places you on terrain?

It's a 6 paragraph section in the rules reference (77.5), can't type it all, as I'm on a kindle, but it seems to cover all options. Last resort is you leave units at the point of contact but they count as engaged.

I did not think k to check that... Way too used to the Armada RRG

Similarly, what about charging an enemy unit that is already engaged. Let's say you have to charge through one tray of your allied unit, the charge range will also collide with the enemy, and there's room to square up. Normally, you can't end your movement overlapping your own unit: do you collide with your own unit first and thus fail to complete the charge, or do you ignore that you're overlapping your friendly unit long enough to square up?

9 minutes ago, kaffis said:

Similarly, what about charging an enemy unit that is already engaged. Let's say you have to charge through one tray of your allied unit, the charge range will also collide with the enemy, and there's room to square up. Normally, you can't end your movement overlapping your own unit: do you collide with your own unit first and thus fail to complete the charge, or do you ignore that you're overlapping your friendly unit long enough to square up?

Squaring up happens after a successful movement. If you can't clear your own unit before squaring up, you don't get to move.

@rowdyoctopus I think you've stated the most important part of all this! First determine movement. When movement is completed, then IF you had the charge modifier you can square up. Keep in mind that squaring up near obstacles (terrain and figures) may require you don't perfectly line up and are sticking out into the world.

42 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Squaring up happens after a successful movement. If you can't clear your own unit before squaring up, you don't get to move.

Perfect. That's what I thought, but I couldn't come up with the correct justification.

17 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

@rowdyoctopus I think you've stated the most important part of all this! First determine movement. When movement is completed, then IF you had the charge modifier you can square up. Keep in mind that squaring up near obstacles (terrain and figures) may require you don't perfectly line up and are sticking out into the world.

If you cannot line up, you go back to your original position at the point of collision. So if you collided at an angle, you will be stuck at that angle. Squaring up includes pivoting so the edges are touching, and then sliding so that trays are aligned. If you can't do both, you don't move at all from the collision position. You will still be touching, still engaged. Then on subsequent turns, after revealing their command, either unit must attempt to square up if they are not already.

Squaring up also happens every time you collide with an enemy, not just when charging.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

@rowdyoctopus woops! Thanks, I thought it was just when you collided while charging that the active unit was able to square up, and that otherwise it happened during activation per 77.5.iii.

I could see the rules for squaring up being a powerful tool at the Worlds level if a skilled player can move his units in front of an enemy to provoke a March+Charge command, then use Stun to remove a Charge modifier, and stagger his unit activations so the enemy marches, collides, and then get counter-charged.