What happens if someone charges you first?

By MarkCx, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hi all,

Carrion Lancers moving at 4 charge Rune Golems and attack. At Init 5, the Rune Golems reveal a charge. However, they are already engaged (because they were charged at 4), so they can't march. However, cancellation of the stance doesn't cancel the modifier, so because the Rune Golems selected a charge, do they get to attack?

Thanks

Mark

A charge modifier is not an attack but a modified march move that allows a bonus attack after a march has taken them into engagement.

But if a march isnt made, the modifier doesnt apply and its bonus attack doesnt occur.

Yes, in that case the carrion lancers were outmaneuvered.

That is why this game is so tactic, you have to evaluate and be prepared for your enemy's actions

Edited by druchii7

Information is ammunition!

If you will want to be a good competitive player you will want to learn not only your own dials but also the dials of your enemies. Knowing at what initiatives they can move, attack and how far they can turn charge and so on will be essential to plan your own dials.

This is why I know Ill never be competitive in RMG, I just dont have the endurance to learn all of this! Im hoping we get some narrative love down the line!

2 hours ago, druchii7 said:

Yes, in that case the RUNE GOLEMS were outmaneuvered.

There. Lil tidying up was needed.

RR-15.2 clarifies that while the modifiers are not cancelled when the action is cancelled, movement modifiers and enhance modifiers have no effect. Movement modifiers and enhance modifiers are not defined in the rules reference, but can be found on page 14 of the learn to play manual.

Movement modifiers include: Charge, Turn, Turning Charge, and Wheel.

Enhance modifiers include: Hit, Surge, Morale, Accuracy, and Mortal Strike.

58 minutes ago, Versch said:

There. Lil tidying up was needed.

Ah ok! I missread (a couple of commas in the original message would have helped).

4 hours ago, druchii7 said:

Ah ok! I missread (a couple of commas in the original message would have helped).

To be fair, the rune golems don't have an init 5 march. This confused me at first too.

8 hours ago, Soulless said:

Information is ammunition!

If you will want to be a good competitive player you will want to learn not only your own dials but also the dials of your enemies. Knowing at what initiatives they can move, attack and how far they can turn charge and so on will be essential to plan your own dials.

This is why I know Ill never be competitive in RMG, I just dont have the endurance to learn all of this! Im hoping we get some narrative love down the line!

They have a listing of all the initiatives on the back of the Learn to Play guide. I'm guessing this will mean that you have access to that info during a tournament, and not need to memorize it. I'm hoping this is the case; I don't think this game should be a test of who has better memorization skills, it should be about figuring out what your opponent is going to do based on all available information. But I'm certain some would disagree with me.

5 minutes ago, Zetan said:

They have a listing of all the initiatives on the back of the Learn to Play guide. I'm guessing this will mean that you have access to that info during a tournament, and not need to memorize it. I'm hoping this is the case; I don't think this game should be a test of who has better memorization skills, it should be about figuring out what your opponent is going to do based on all available information. But I'm certain some would disagree with me.

That's a tough one. I know for X-Wing, you're allowed to have anything that comes in the official package, so the maneuver list they give you is legal, but home-made ones are not (if I remember correctly). But the complication arises when you don't own the figure you are facing. This is going to be a bigger deal with Runewars than X-Wing because I think more people will focus on a single faction. For example, if I just buy the Essentials Pack and the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion, I'm not going to have an official FFG print-out of the dial options for non-Uthuk units. I wonder how strict they'll be about those kinds of references.

The dials contents are open information. You can use the back of the learn to play in a tournament.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

That's a tough one. I know for X-Wing, you're allowed to have anything that comes in the official package, so the maneuver list they give you is legal, but home-made ones are not (if I remember correctly). But the complication arises when you don't own the figure you are facing. This is going to be a bigger deal with Runewars than X-Wing because I think more people will focus on a single faction. For example, if I just buy the Essentials Pack and the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion, I'm not going to have an official FFG print-out of the dial options for non-Uthuk units. I wonder how strict they'll be about those kinds of references.

@rowdyoctopus is right, also in x-wing you are allowed to ask to see your opponents dials unless they are set. So you can know their options just not their choice.

In X-Wing you ARE allowed to have a homemade print of ships manouvers.

It counts as legal information.

Thanks all!