Alcaran

By Budgernaut, in Runewars Lore and History of Terrinoth

I was reading the Runewars boardgame rules and BattleLore 2E rules this morning, mostly for the lore snippets in the beginning. What was neat is that the Runewars lore is told by Alcaran, the same guy who tells the story to Astarra in the new Lore Guide. BattleLore takes place some time later because Alcaran is already dead. I just thought it was something interesting to share for our new lore sub-forum.

Edited by Budgernaut
spelling on mobile

Yeah, I imagine Battlelore is set in the midst of the Runewars while this story was set during Waiqar's opening moves.

47 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Yeah, I imagine Battlelore is set in the midst of the Runewars while this story was set during Waiqar's opening moves.

is there some information in which time order runewars, battlelore, rwmg, runebound and descent play? or is it almost the same time?

1 hour ago, Waywardpaladin said:

But Battlelore takes place specifically at the point where the Uthuk Y'llan begin their return from the deep desert, attacking border garrisons. The intro letter in the Battlelore book is a letter from one of the Daqan guardians on the wall, begging for aid and announcing that he is waking the garrison's rune golems to repel the slavering hordes.

So they'd have to be happening at the same time, if we're going to have an Uthuk faction.

I agree. I think Runewars, Runewars Miniatures Game, BattleLore: Second Edition, and Rune Age are all happening concurrently.

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I agree. I think Runewars, Runewars Miniatures Game, BattleLore: Second Edition, and Rune Age are all happening concurrently.

Well then what about Runebound??? ;)

The lore book for RMG goes at length about the first darkness from the Uthuk, then the second darkness when the Waiqar rose, and then the third darkness when the Dragonlords came in to collect the runes. RMG likely takes place while BattleLore is happening if its lore stuff talks about Uthuk returning.

47 minutes ago, Willange said:

Well then what about Runebound??? ;)

Never played it and probably won't. I like the army factions more than the hero aspect of Mennara. Still, the recently announced expansion for Runebound adds an Uthuk invasion, so it seems to be contemporary with the other games I mentioned.

1 minute ago, Budgernaut said:

Never played it and probably won't. I like the army factions more than the hero aspect of Mennara. Still, the recently announced expansion for Runebound adds an Uthuk invasion, so it seems to be contemporary with the other games I mentioned.

Oh it is. I was just joking around because you named practically all the games.

Just now, Willange said:

Oh it is. I was just joking around because you named practically all the games.

Oh I see. That's a good point. I guess I should list the exception instead, and that exception is Diskwars, which happened before Waiqar's fall to darkness and before the dragon wars. Sisters of Q'aro Fenn was a disk in that game, and Q'aro Fenn was an advisor to Llovar Rutonu, so I'm not sure if Diskwars is before or during the first darkness. I assume it is during.

4 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Oh I see. That's a good point. I guess I should list the exception instead, and that exception is Diskwars, which happened before Waiqar's fall to darkness and before the dragon wars. Sisters of Q'aro Fenn was a disk in that game, and Q'aro Fenn was an advisor to Llovar Rutonu, so I'm not sure if Diskwars is before or during the first darkness. I assume it is during.

Yeah, Disk Wars is during the First Darkness. We literally played through it, including Waiqar's push into the wastes to try to assassinate Llovar and his capture/torture.

Unfortunately the very last expansion where Daqann would have gone from a knight to taking the crown after the death of the king didn't get released, so I was very surprised when I saw their more recent stuff referring to Daqann as a king, since he was an actual unit in my Disk Wars army and I didn't suspect him of being destined for such greatness (though I liked him best out of the musketeer knock offs he was a part of)

I said Runewars is starting with the opening moves of Waiqar because in the Lore book humans know Waiqar is moving in but have no indication that the Uthuk have moved back over the Ru.

Apparently the elves have just discovered that though.

I'm a bit confused about descent, the setting of the campaign seems not to suggest that a war is going on, it's more like a 'mantaining peace" scheme( save the Baronies from zacharet cospiration, undoing the evil rising in nerekhall, fight the ancient Queen of Sudania..) and also the two "undead" campaign are set inside the mistland with the Force of waiqar that seems still confined inside. However the young black haired girl of rmg rule book is clearly Runewitch Astarra, who in descent is an experienced magician.

Or again, zacharet that dies at the end of Shadow rune campaign and write the letter in the runewars lorebook..

Maybe zacharet wrote that letter before die and the Runewitch Astarra was the grandmother of the young Astarra of rmg

We should try to create a timeline with the known information and most important events...

Something like this:

<------------------------------- ----------------------------1st darkness ----------------------------------------------- 2nd darkness ------------------------------ 3rd darkness----

Llovar pacts with demons Uthuk atack Waiqar betrayes Timorran Dragonlords atack
Waiqar is kidnapped and tortured Waiqar becomes undead
Uthuk forces are defeated Waiqar is defeated

------Margath reappears----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runewars------------------------------------------------------------------->
Runebound 3rd Ed. The assendance of Margath? The factions learn about the existence of Dragon Runes
Rune Age: Resurgence of the dragonlords escenario? Runewars BG? Rune Age: Runewars scenario?

I know there are a lot of missing events (I don't have the lore guide yet) so feel free to complete or create a new more easy to read timeline! that is the idea of a community!

PS: Sorry for my english

Edited by noteclado
On April 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM, tkundnobody said:

is there some information in which time order runewars, battlelore, rwmg, runebound and descent play? or is it almost the same time?

Runewars minis must take place before Descent, because Baron Zakareth has been killed several times in my Descent campaigns, and he grabs a pretty prominent part of the Runwars minis lore.

Come to think of it, Ardus is probably headed for similarly unceremonious beat down in the next campaign we play.

:D

I would not assume much cohesion in the stories between sources with this new one. I'd say this new lore book is their effort to make it more cohesive and fix the canon. Probably also expect a larger worlds of android style sourcebook down the road.

16 hours ago, Toqtamish said:

I would not assume much cohesion in the stories between sources with this new one. I'd say this new lore book is their effort to make it more cohesive and fix the canon. Probably also expect a larger worlds of android style sourcebook down the road.

I sure hope so!

RPG RPG RPG sorry did I say that out loud. Good excuse for a full lore book ;)

On 15/04/2017 at 4:45 PM, noteclado said:

1st darkness

Not Alcaran related- move this bit of topic? But on that off-topic topic: Descent 'Heirs of Blood' - "Waiqar Sumarion, champion of Thelgrim and leader of the northern armies... general of the Sunderman during the First Darkness" It seems Waiqar was not corrupt at this point.

Wonder if Alcaran gets a mention in Descent, can't think of one off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Martinslair said:

Not Alcaran related- move this bit of topic? But on that off-topic topic: Descent 'Heirs of Blood' - "Waiqar Sumarion, champion of Thelgrim and leader of the northern armies... general of the Sunderman during the First Darkness" It seems Waiqar was not corrupt at this point.

Right. He was a hero during the Great War or the First Darkness. He was a native of the Sunderlands in the far south and was recruited by Timmorran Lokander while Timmorran was exiled. During the assault on the Thelgrim Peninsula, Waiqar fought hard and was a great help to the survivors, even though the peninsula was lost to the Uthuk, Undead, and Orcs. It was after this defeat that he was sent by Timmorran to assault Llovar's citadel with a group of 20 soldiers. Though they succeeded in preventing Llovar and Farrenghast from raising the former King of the Dragonkin from the dead, Waiqar's small band was defeated and Waiqar was captured by Llovar.

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Right. He was a hero during the Great War or the First Darkness. He was a native of the Sunderlands in the far south and was recruited by Timmorran Lokander while Timmorran was exiled. During the assault on the Thelgrim Peninsula, Waiqar fought hard and was a great help to the survivors, even though the peninsula was lost to the Uthuk, Undead, and Orcs. It was after this defeat that he was sent by Timmorran to assault Llovar's citadel with a group of 20 soldiers. Though they succeeded in preventing Llovar and Farrenghast from raising the former King of the Dragonkin from the dead, Waiqar's small band was defeated and Waiqar was captured by Llovar.

That was part of the fight over Tyrnask Rex right?

3 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

That was part of the fight over Tyrnask Rex right?

The notes I got from someone on BGG says that it was the former Oboros Rex. Tyrnask was the Draco Rex, but Helspanth and him fought and both appear to have disappeared over the Mountains of Despair. Oboros took over as Draco Rex, but was betrayed and killed by Azaellrog. Azaellrog sought to unite the dragons as rulers over all of Mennara, but Ceryx Jade took a significant number of dragons in opposition of Azaellrog, hoping to stay out of the affairs of the lesser peoples of Mennara.

Llovar asked Azaellrog for Oboros' body as a trophy and Azaellrog complied, thinking it a harmless gesture to bring Llovar under control of the dragons, but Llovar instead sought to raise Oboros and use Oboros Lich to bring all the dragons under Llovar's control.

Just now, Budgernaut said:

The notes I got from someone on BGG says that it was the former Oboros Rex. Tyrnask was the Draco Rex, but Helspanth and him fought and both appear to have disappeared over the Mountains of Despair. Oboros took over as Draco Rex, but was betrayed and killed by Azaellrog. Azaellrog sought to unite the dragons as rulers over all of Mennara, but Ceryx Jade took a significant number of dragons in opposition of Azaellrog, hoping to stay out of the affairs of the lesser peoples of Mennara.

Llovar asked Azaellrog for Oboros' body as a trophy and Azaellrog complied, thinking it a harmless gesture to bring Llovar under control of the dragons, but Llovar instead sought to raise Oboros and use Oboros Lich to bring all the dragons under Llovar's control.

I was wondering, because we had a big tournament fighting over the body with the chance of bringing back the lich, but also Tyrnask came back as Tyrnask X'ru, X'ru being the prophesied extinction of dragons on the continent.

The good dragons were kind of like "If fate has that in store for us, whatever" outlook while the evil ones were like "Maybe by killing everything on the continent and taking over we can stop the prophecy!" and thus the civil war.

Of course I got the impression that it was the evil dragons trying to take fate into their own hands which led to the downfall of the race...

It feels like there is significant overlap in eras between Descent and RMG, but it feels like, overall, Descent is the "near future" of RMG. Zachareth hasn't been outed as a traitor (and taken out by a local band of murderhobos), Astarra is young and not trained yet, Lord Moustache may or may not be an adventurer. Other events don't really make sense, but a lot of the early events of RMG could just be opening feints and skirmishes. We still have no idea how much FFG intends to establish a timeline or storyline with this game.

As another consideration, there's nothing that says the (purposely modular) events of Descent have to be "canon" for RMG. After all, no one in any Star Wars movie ever talks about the many times Darth Vader took a bolt between the eyes courtesy of a Bothan Sniper, or got slammed into a sarlaac by an Aqualish meathead, and yet those things have certainly happened in my Imperial Assault games.

16 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

As another consideration, there's nothing that says the (purposely modular) events of Descent have to be "canon" for RMG.

True, although great if/when it does, Terrinoth and the Runebound Universe doesn't have to tally up fully from game to game, or even (potentially standalone by nature) user designed campaigns in Descent, Ardus could be anything you want in a campaign you made and it wouldn't have to match up. He could even be a hero or used for a different character. Games quite nicely tie into their own 'all possible universes' multiverse/ anything and everything happens somewhere system of things (especially in RPG's like where we literally nuked a whole section of a potential story by foolishly making a big explosion that wiped out a whole game location and its useful 'stuff', moral of the story, be careful exactly what you target when you shoot at something)

I've kind of set myself down a route with my Descent campaign though of at least slightly tightly sticking to the lore as I'm playing with weaving different Overlord characters' histories together so there's a logic to the events that follow in my campaign and it hopefully fits the other campaigns as a bigger story arc, a bit of artistic license is always fun though (like that painter popping Kyndrithul in with Ardus' army!)