The First Armada Game

By SwordOfHoeth, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Hello,

I have had a fantastic opportunity to play the very first game of Armada recently, thanks to my very good friend @jimmyrut who built two fleets for each of us and provided the models from his own collection. I really hope it is just the beginning of my journey with this great system and that is why I decided to register on this forum and post my first post.

01.thumb.jpg.397f10a83796d0154780afc7e7bbe5c9.jpg

I summarized my first experience on my blog:

First Armada Game

Coming from fantasy games background, this game offered me a truly unique experience and I am looking forward to learning much more as soon as possible. I am getting close to finalizing the very first fleet built that I would like to start playing with and in the meantime I am discovering blogs about Armada that are really helpful in getting to know the system better.

I hope you will find this first battle report entertaining, despite the fact it was actually a demo game where we didn't use commanders, objectives or obstacles.

Thanks for reading!

Holy crap, another Ulthuan veteran. Welcome to Armada brother!

Welcome!

9 hours ago, Truthiness said:

Holy crap, another Ulthuan veteran. Welcome to Armada brother!

Weak 'need elfs. Wee'z gunna stomp youz good!

We'lz. I would, if...'ou know....I could be bothered to get me ladz outa da cupboard. And I could rollz d sixes any good......

Also, welcome!

As a former WHFB player myself (6th ed - 8th) I'd like to say a special welcome. I find that armada, from a gameplay point of view, largely scratches the same itches that Warhammer did for me. Hope it does for you too. Enjoy!

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I really appreciate your warm welcome!

@Truthiness

I knew the nick is familiar! Your excellent blog was already recommended to me for reading and I really like the posts about flying in formation or inside turn advantages. I hope you will have more and regular posts about maneuvers and flying in different formations, as these aspects are what makes the game very interesting for me.

I hope I will be able to learn the game soon enough to provide regular battle reports. I will need to find out the good way to present them too, as due to unique (at least for me!) dynamics of the game I will need to come up with a different idea to show things clearly. But I am looking forward to discovering new ways too!

@BrobaFett

Thanks! I received your generous offer on my blog and I will be very happy to learn about Armada on Vassal!

@Flengin

Cheers!

I must admit that Armada attracted my attention due to different reasons, though. I found Kings of War a perfect system for fantasy rank and file games so that area is already covered. But I discussed Armada with @jimmyrut many times and what I was very intrigued about was the unique dynamics as well as interaction between ships and squadrons.

For example, the combination of activation, shooting first and then moving as well as certain inertia in the movement requires completely different approach to the game. That is why I am so interested in learning how to deploy well, how to maintain favorable formation and how to get the ships at the right time at the right place. This is the reason I would like to focus on small, fast and maneuverable ships.

Adding squadrons to the mix is extremely interesting as on one hand they add another dimension to the game but on the other they are just a different element of the fleet. Not only because they move and attack differently but also because they do not count to victory conditions in the same way. I.e. you may lose all the squadrons but stay in the game. But if you lose all the ships it is all over.

I know these things may sound obvious for the veterans but I have not played a game like that before and these aspects appeal to me a lot!

Thanks again!