Is Starcraft a good 2-player game?

By gforce200, in StarCraft

Good evening,

I saw a copy of Starcraft at a local book store for $30 and was thinking about picking it up at that price. Since Florence, SC is the black hole of gaming, I will have to teach my wife to play. I know the game says it can be for two players, but some games just don't play well with only 2. Can anyone give me some feedback on how the games plays with only two people?

Cheers

i think it is not suitable for 2 players

when you play two players you can really outmatch opponent and they has no chance to fight back

2 players game always like rush game so i don't suggets it

and this game has a little luck involve so may be

another game may be better

just my opinion

thx

It's still fun 1v1, but only if both opponents know the rules quite well. Moreover, the rulesbook doesn't explain everything, so that many contested situations may be occured.

You need to know the rules to exploit them in game for your advantage. Even small mistake can bury your chances for victory. Especially in 1v1 games.

Also keep in mind that starting conditions (galaxy setup) can be really favourable for some players. It's due to different victory conditions and because you can't make mirror galaxies.

On the other hand, several first games takes always lot of time, but in 1v1 game skilled players may finish the skirmish (excluding setup) in 5 minutes. The 1v1 game should only occasionally take you more than 2 hours. It's really fast and dynamic; every game is different. Sometimes lots depends on your luck (drawing necessary Combat cards or some powerfull Event cards). Also notice that in 1v1 games you can avoid problems with people ruining your plans (e.g it's almost impossible to defeat the other side if it's 1v2, and even if some player is really weak, the orders he places can change everything on board)

I suggest to check it out by yourself - especially that the price is quite low. If you don't like this game, you' ll just sell it

Game overview:

I picked up this game recently via a trade. I have played it a handful of times, all with different guys from my game group. Each time it was a 1v1 battle. Though, personally, the game seems like it will be a lot more fun with a bigger group, the 1v1 games have been fast paced. We just are slugging it out immediately. The games we pretty fast, both finished in about an hour. I think when we get together for a real game, the fact that we all have played the game somewhat is going to take away from the rules issues.

Starcraft seems like a daunting set of rules, but the core of the game is pretty straightforward. I find it in some regards, almost elegant in what it allows you to do. I am really gald I picked this game up.

Two player starcraft is great as long as both players have a good grasp of the game. If you are using 2 player starcraft as a teaching game be gentle with the other player because it is very easy to defeat them.

Once you have played the game a bit you can finish a two player game in thirty minutes to an hour. The best thing about starcraft with two players is that you don't have any players getting ignored or ganged up on which can lead to problems in larger games.

Don't expect to get very high on the tech tree in a two player game.

Be aware of the rush and know how to defend against it going second or first.

gforce200 said:

I saw a copy of Starcraft at a local book store for $30 and was thinking about picking it up at that price.

****. Why am I living in the freakin country I'm in ?!

Thanks for the feedback. I picked it up and will give it a try.

I couldn't pass at that price although I would trade that price for more folks to play it with in an instant.

Cheers

At only $30.00 it is a steal. Even with only two players you will get your moneys worth in no time.

Probably the game is best for 1v1.

I've play it in all modes - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, FFA, etc.

Playing 1v1 with another pro player is the greatest experience. The game continues 1 hour, instead of 7-8 (6 players), and we do more thinking than when we play chess :)

2v2 can also be fun for the group experience and some team interaction, but again, it runs very slow with unexperienced players (4 hours minimum).

To sum it up, you have equal amount of thinking and playing, no matter whether you play 1v1 or 3v3 (about 30 minutes for a player). In 3v3 you just have the rest of the time waiting for the others.

FFA seems to suck, always, at least for half of the players, so I don't recommend playing in such manner. Thus, don't invite odd number of players ;)

Is it a good 2-player-game? Yes. It is a great and outstanding game as it is with 3 to 5 players? No.

I've played it two player recently and it's actually pretty dang good as a two player game in my opinion.

I like the game so far and luckily I came up with a way to make it 6-player. I teach JROTC in high school so I ended up starting a game club for the students in my classes. The students play after school for an hour or so a couple days a week. We tried World of Warcraft and now I have five other students in a six player Starcraft game and it has been fun. Watching teenagers try to think and plan ahead is something to behold!

Now, I just need to find the expansion for it. Does the expansion make good changes to the game?

Cheers