Tie Pilot and upgrade removal

By wakefieldbw, in Star Wars: Destiny

Situation: Player A has Tie Pilot dice in pool with an F-11D dice showing ranged damage.

Player B removes Player A's F-11D upgrade (e.g., by rolling a disrupt and tapping Imperial Inspection).

Does Tie Pilots ability keep the F-11D dice in the pool even though the F-11D upgrade is returned to owners hand?

Tie Pilot:

"While this die is in your pool, your other dice showing ranged damage ( ) cannot be removed by an opponent."

Imperial Inspection:

"After one of your dice rolls a disrupt ( ), you may exhaust this support to return an upgrade in play that costs 2 or less to its owner's hand."

I would say the dice stays in the poll until it is resolved. I believe the relevant rule in the RRG is Negative Effects:

"Negative effects take precedence over positive effects. If an effect says a player cannot do something, then they cannot do it, even if another effect says they can."

It is being removed because the corresponding card is no longer in play. Although the card remove is from the opponent the card being removed is the trigger for the die to be removed. I think the die does come out.

7 minutes ago, unlimitedpower said:

It is being removed because the corresponding card is no longer in play. Although the card remove is from the opponent the card being removed is the trigger for the die to be removed. I think the die does come out.

What about the negative effect rule? Tie Pilot's ability is negative (i.e., "cannot remove").

Even though your opponent removed the upgrade, it's not your opponent that's removing the die. It's the game rules.

From the RRG:

If a card with a matching die leaves play, the matching die is also immediately removed from the game and set aside. The removed die can enter the game again at a later time, if its card enters play again.

50 minutes ago, wakefieldbw said:

What about the negative effect rule? Tie Pilot's ability is negative (i.e., "cannot remove").

This is a good question! I would like to see an official FFG response.

I'm with Wakefieldbw on this one. The F-11D die CANNOT be removed. The F-11D card is removed, perhaps the die stays? After it is resolved, it is discarded?

45 minutes ago, netherspirit1982 said:

Even though your opponent removed the upgrade, it's not your opponent that's removing the die. It's the game rules.

From the RRG:

If a card with a matching die leaves play, the matching die is also immediately removed from the game and set aside. The removed die can enter the game again at a later time, if its card enters play again.

Saying the "game rules" are removing the die is a bit silly. That could be said of anything an opponent does. The game rules trigger everything.

1 minute ago, Conviction said:

Saying the "game rules" are removing the die is a bit silly. That could be said of anything an opponent does. The game rules trigger everything.

Sure, but but one player usually controls the effect (they played a card or took some action) that's causing the trigger to happen.

In this instance of a die being removed, that's not the case. The die is getting removed because the card is removed, not because your opponent removed the die.

This is essentially a game state check. Is the card for this die gone or being removed? Okay the rules say I have to remove the die too.

20 minutes ago, netherspirit1982 said:

Sure, but but one player usually controls the effect (they played a card or took some action) that's causing the trigger to happen.

In this instance of a die being removed, that's not the case. The die is getting removed because the card is removed, not because your opponent removed the die.

This is essentially a game state check. Is the card for this die gone or being removed? Okay the rules say I have to remove the die too.

I see your point. You may be correct, but I feel the area is gray enough to need clarification.

13 hours ago, wakefieldbw said:

cannot be removed by an opponent ."

^This is the key.

It is not the opponent that is removing the dice. YOU are required to remove the dice since you have no corresponding card in play anymore. Opponent does not touch your dice a bit in this case.

Who is doing the removal is irrelevant.

Removing dice is defined as taking he die out of the pool, and placing them on the card.

When an upgrade leaves play, the die is removed from the game. Despite both using "remove" this is a different effect, which the TIE Pilot doesn't stop.

39 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

When an upgrade leaves play, the die is removed from the game. Despite both using "remove" this is a different effect, which the TIE Pilot doesn't stop.

Quote please? Cause i just looked in the rules there is no such distinciton. Unless it is really distinguished in rules CCG games tend to break even core rules - if a dice cannot be removed it cannot not matter what is removing it.

39 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Who is doing the removal is irrelevant.

It is in this case - cause that is the condition for preventing removal of a dice.

Edited by Vitalis

Page 19:

REMOVING DICE

Removing dice moves them from a player’s dice pool back to their matching card.

Removing from the game is pretty clearly not this, because the die isn't going back to the card. It also states that you cannot remove a die which isn't in the pool, which obviously happens if you lost an upgrade with that die not in the pool.

So definitely two different game effects. Could the TIE Pilot's "remove" refer to both removing dice and removing them from the game? That doesn't work either. Since you can't remove a die if it's not in your pool, if "can't remove" stopped removal from play then any inactive dice would be stuck on upgrade destruction, character defeat, etc.

33 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Removing from the game is pretty clearly not this, because the die isn't going back to the card.

In fact it does. Card is out of play - the dice follows out of play too.

34 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

It also states that you cannot remove a die which isn't in the pool, which obviously happens if you lost an upgrade with that die not in the pool.

But the dice is in your pool in the timing we discuss here. Card goes out of play, that triggers dice removal. Does it matter what triggers removal of a dice? No, not by the current rules. When dice is removed:

37 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Removing dice moves them from a player’s dice pool back to their matching card.

So it follows the card. When dice is removed by an effect or resolution - card is in play dice follows it there. When removal is triggered by card leaving play dice still follows the matching card as the rule instructs, but since it follows the card to discard pool/hand where dice does not exists it goes back to unused dice pool outside the game.

Your mixing and bending it all over the place now.

So, if I kill another character its all dice showing range damage stays in pool because TIE Pilot's die is in pool? Really? I don't think so.

1 minute ago, NetCop said:

So, if I kill another character its all dice showing range damage stays in pool because TIE Pilot's die is in pool? Really? I don't think so.

No. Because its not the opponent removing them. You (or the game itself) are removing them from the pool. Opponent only removed your character not the dice.

It's all the same case. Removing upgrade from play or "removing" character from play. TIE Pilot cannot prevent their dice from being removed.

Game rules force you to remove corresponding dice.

2 minutes ago, NetCop said:

It's all the same case. Removing upgrade from play or "removing" character from play. TIE Pilot cannot prevent their dice from being removed.

Game rules force you to remove corresponding dice.

Only because he is restricted to opponent removal. If not this condition he would override game rules (and be even more irritating :) ).

4 hours ago, NetCop said:

This makes it clear, thank you. I am persuaded by your points here.

8 hours ago, Vitalis said:

In fact it does. Card is out of play - the dice follows out of play too.

Both being in the same state (out of play) does not mean that the dice is on the card. Out of play dice are not on their cards, as playing an upgrade makes clear:

When they are played, the player takes the matching die from their set-aside dice and places it on the upgrade