Playmats: yea or nay?

By vespers2, in Dragon Shields

I'm trying to make up my mind about picking up a mat. While I'm a big fan of styling and profiling, is the mat worht it if I already have the shields?

You can put your mouse on it :)

I used to use playmat when I was playing mtg some time ago while playing Vintage (with very, very, expensive cards), but usually don't use them.

Mats are worth while when the events that you're playing at the surfaces might not be the cleanest. Nothing sucks more then trying to pick up your sleeved card that accidentally got stuck it soda pop drippings.

I used to not be a fan of them, but after having a few end up in my possession, they've been growing on me.

It's really nice against those players who like to *spread out everywhere*, and can actually ensure you have some play surface.

I have played MTG for a few years, and am now playing AGoT, and I have never used one. But, this thread makes me think that I should at least try one out to see if I like it.

The only downside is that I've got everything down to one box when I go to the game store to play the Cthulhu LCG and the playmat would screw that up.

I got an Invasion playmat and use it as mousepad and keyboard pad, works quite good.

once you have 20+ you can let go of them... you only really need 1 and just roll it up, it does come in handy when the tables arnt their cleanest. Thats for the most part the use of a play mat, its just to keep the area nice and clean and you can move around your cards a lot easier on a cloth surface as opposed to a ruffed up surface with dried soda drips.

Like many others, I just wish they made Print on Demand playmats or something, we kind of use them to advertise what we are playing so people that wander into the gaming store realize that not everyone with cards in their hand is a MtG player.

Skowza said:

Like many others, I just wish they made Print on Demand playmats or something, we kind of use them to advertise what we are playing so people that wander into the gaming store realize that not everyone with cards in their hand is a MtG player.

That's actually a terrific idea! I approve. It would be nice to have a few AGoT mats available, for that reason. I know I'd fork up for a playmat with the Days of Ice & Fire 2012 artwork any day.

i'd love one for netrunner, thrones and lord of rings. also a play surface for star wars dogfight. anyone know how i can get mats for these?

I was anti-playmat for the longest time until my brother picked one up for me.

We've been playing competitive magic for a while, and I have to admit: I don't know how I got along without it.

Playmats are a must for competitive gaming. If you're at home playing in the basement though, a $20 card table from Wal-Mart (or whatever) will suffice.

I actually have both now…