Tips on repairing figures (and quick City game update)

By Servillo, in Talisman

mQ1tTej.jpg

Needless to say, I'm rather displeased that it came this way straight out of the box. I'm not sure how she managed to pour me so many drinks in the game with only one hand, and no drinks. But yeah, if anyone has any suggestions on how to repair this, that would be awesome. Otherwise I might see if I can find just the figure on its own to purchase.

Our game with The City went...okay. I played the Elementalist, RA played the Tavern Maid, and RB got the Cat Burglar. The two of them immediately went into the City, got enough gold for a pet in RA's case, and burgled a couple of nice items in RB's case. I went to the Highland, then the main board for a small bit, and didn't manage to get much of anywhere for a while. The Tavern Maid then kept me as a target, because I kept getting Gold, and managed to make more than enough for a couple of City runs. I finally managed to get a halfway decent stockpile, and then ran into the Racketeer and got myself a Flail. When the Hidden Ending we picked turned out to be Battle Royale, I proved unstoppable.

So yeah, we already agree the Flail just needs to go. It's obscenely powerful, and with only two available, gives way too much of an advantage. Full Plate is nice, but not obscenely broken. The Spellbook will let you cycle spells (which I used to good effect once I got one), but ultimately depends on the luck of what you draw and whether you can use it. The Flail is just nasty, especially when I had a ton of Fate and Luna. The ability to force doubles is just...it's obscene. We found this to be a very Object heavy game though, and I'm the only one that actually ran into any significant amount of monsters, namely because I was the only one with the incentive to do so because it's all I had. I will say, the Elementalist is a hellishly fun character, and probably my second favorite next to the Tavern Maid for this expansion.

This plastic is not very tough and really flexible. First step is to make sure the two parts fit well together. If they don's use an xacto knife to clean it up so they do.

Normally I would take my really small drill bits and a pin vise and drill out a small hole in both parts. Find a small plastic rod and make sure it will fit a little loose but kind of snug - the proper fit is easy to pull in and out with your fingers so their is room for glue. Snip the rod to the right length for a good fit so both pieces can be pressed together. Then I would take a small amount of rubber cement (testor's plastic modelling cement works well on this soft plastic) and apply it to the holes. Next I take a the small plastic dowel rod and push it into the hole on the miniature. Then I would attach the part that broke off and push it on and hold it in place for a bit. Lastly I wipe off excess glue with a rag and let the miniature set for a few hours. Should be good as new.

Keep in mind you can use a metal dowel rod (paper clip) and use super glue, but it will not hold as well. Anyone that has played miniature games learns this technique called "pinning". I am sure if you search you can find better instructions on some miniature sites.

Agreed on the Flail, we replaced it in our games. Feel free to try this version (still powerful but not overtly)

d6140f0396de8e21.png

4 hours ago, Bludgeon said:

Agreed on the Flail, we replaced it in our games. Feel free to try this version (still powerful but not overtly)

d6140f0396de8e21.png

For the flail, we experimented with a few things but really liked the following:

You may roll 2 dice during battle and add them together to determine your attack roll.
If you roll double 4,5 or 6, your opponent cannot add his attack roll to his attack score. If you roll double 1,2 or 3 you cannot add your attack roll to your attack score.

We also increased the price to 7g.

If I could change the price I probably would start with that, but I didn't want to change the text on the board.

50 minutes ago, Bludgeon said:

If I could change the price I probably would start with that, but I didn't want to change the text on the board.

AS-is, it's easily worth 10g. Maybe even 12 but that would mean only a few of the characters would easily attain it.

If I had to price it, i would probably give it 8. But if I didn't, I'd just put it in the Treasure deck.

So I think I'm worried about that pinning technique working right, partially because I've never done it, and partially because this broke off at the narrowest portion of her wrist. I doubt I could get a plastic pin small enough to fit in there, or a drill be small enough to make the hole in the first place. I can see how for slightly bulkier miniatures it would work, or even if it had broken down lower on the arm. But there looks to be almost no room to work with on this kind of damage, and yet I'm also worried that without a pin technique, regular super glue won't hold up properly.

49 minutes ago, Servillo said:

So I think I'm worried about that pinning technique working right, partially because I've never done it, and partially because this broke off at the narrowest portion of her wrist. I doubt I could get a plastic pin small enough to fit in there, or a drill be small enough to make the hole in the first place. I can see how for slightly bulkier miniatures it would work, or even if it had broken down lower on the arm. But there looks to be almost no room to work with on this kind of damage, and yet I'm also worried that without a pin technique, regular super glue won't hold up properly.

I have pinned a lot of limbs in the past. I have extremely small drill bits for this. The other option is the use the testors model cement and hope it holds - it does pretty well on plastic.

Another option is here: https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Barmaid

Where do you buy the pins you use for repairs? Do you just have to make them yourself, or can you buy like a kit for all of this? All I can find is a "kit" from Gamesworkshop that's nothing but a blade and an attachment to hold a tube of glue.

I also got my copy of The Woodland in today. This is actually looking to be a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. Some of the reviews I've read made it out to be just something people bought to have all four corners, but I'm loving what I've been reading on the new Fate rules, the way cards are influenced by your Fate choices, and the new Hidden Endings look amazingly fun. Especially Wanderlust, though I can see the annoyance of that one if you don't have all the corner expansions. And the new characters definitely look interesting as well.

Can't help with the "wounded" Tavern Maid, unfortunately.

---

:City:

My playgroup also likes the Elementalist a lot. (By the way.^^)

Funnily enough, we have yet to have problems with the Flails,
because people don't see them as a viable strategy here.

The last two times someone tried that route, they both went down
very quickly, one of them even before he/she could acquire a Flail.

[Target signs are dangerous. XD]

Should we ever get there, I can always house rule them later.

---

:The Woodland:

The thing with "late" expansions like this is, less people buy them because not everyone
follows the releases all the way through, be the reason money, taste, time or whatever.

Which of course leads to less actual reviews and sometimes for negative and/or positive than usual, depending on the players.
Plus like we already mentioned, this expansion changes the game quite a lot.
Some people seem to prefer more of the same with these kind of games,
so of course they don't like it that much.

We have played games with "War of Seasons" and "Judged by Fate", both were pretty neat and fun.
(The first one really increases play time a lot, especially if it is revealed
as the hidden ending.)

"Wanderlust" escapes us for now, as I wanted to give the players time to get more used
to everything before we use that ending.

I also really like the normal Adventure cards that this expansion adds to the pile.
"Faerie Glade" and "Faerie Gate" are my favorites, the last one especially if
it is encountered by a darkbound character. [^^ - Yes, I know, sometimes I am a bit evil.]

The Woodland Deck itself ... while there are some nasty cards in there,
encountering any of them (for me) always feels like getting my favorite cake.
[Yeah, I know, biased and all, but I was already turned into a toad twice and
got killed by his majesty himself and yet I still like the deck.]

A quick question, planning for my next game. I'm thinking of only playing with The Woodland as a corner board, and want to toss in one of the harder expansions. Any thoughts on whether The Harbinger or The Nether Realm would work better? I'm worried about The Harbinger just because I'm not sure if having an additional region will significantly neuter him, and now that I've seen the Nether deck I'm really, really nervous about some of those cards that outright kill you if they beat your attack roll. We don't actually die a lot in our games, so we're not exactly used to being killed off and having to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Servillo said:

A quick question, planning for my next game. I'm thinking of only playing with The Woodland as a corner board, and want to toss in one of the harder expansions. Any thoughts on whether The Harbinger or The Nether Realm would work better? I'm worried about The Harbinger just because I'm not sure if having an additional region will significantly neuter him, and now that I've seen the Nether deck I'm really, really nervous about some of those cards that outright kill you if they beat your attack roll. We don't actually die a lot in our games, so we're not exactly used to being killed off and having to rebuild.

The best way to play the Harbinger is using more regions. I advise against to play harbinger with only middle and outer regions: too much hardcore and it absorbs all the atmosphere. Play with other expansions.

Abyss Realm is just Evil as Hell, keep that in mind. Play with fear.

Edited by Filippo

You have my Flail

5b8285dfb7779bc194839d1b7e761e57.jpg

And my Bow

6xzDgtUNyN7rHCHnMISmTk99N8mKg6C5hz9hmDLuT_c?size=800x600&size_mode=3

And my AXE!... just kidding

Hey folks, I think it's useless to change the prices in the city, there are too many ways to gain objects at your choice for free. I've randomized all these effects: You choose and shuffle a Shop deck, then you pick up the first card.

20 hours ago, Servillo said:

You could use Pandora's Box as an open ending, that would remove
the threat of the Nether cards killing someone "in the middle"
of the game.

Concerning Harbinger, if you really only play with one corner board,
depending on your draws and play style, he might be around much longer than you like.

I do always recommend not playing with Harbinger or Dragon when you have other new expansions
people will most likely want to explore, because those inclusions might hinder them
which in turn could lead to less fun.

If you really want to use Harbinger, I'd advise you to add at least one more corner region to the board.