Vassal Freshman Spring 2017 [NA SECTOR]

By Green Knight, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

Anyone interested in watching NA Sector's final match, myself vs. @moodswing5537 , we are kicking off on VASSAL in five minutes

Final Result, myself vs @moodswing5537 is 290 v 197, in my favor, with 45 and 90 points of victory tokens respectively. Medals were awarded to the gunners of the Star Destroyer Manticore , who successfully destroyed Phoenix Home before the Rebel scum could spring the trap with their heavy B-wing strike fighters, and to the Star Destroyer Gryphon, who accounted for known Rebel agent Toryn Farr hiding among Rebel Q-ships, and the stolen frigate Yavaris . Unfortunately, Agent Kallus' Raider -class corvette Impetuous was destroyed by fugitive pilots Dutch Vander and Wedge Antilles, who also destroyed Admiral Motti's flagship, though the admiral was later recovered in an escape pod. Rogue ex-Senator Garm Bel Iblis also escaped the battle, as did the notorious "Fulcrum", Ahsoka Tano. All in all, a fun game, and closer than the devastating salvo Manticore unleashed on Phoenix Home might have let things appear. Moodswing has the save log, so I'll save further commentary for him.

Edit: Additionally, I was first player, and we played Precision Strike. That got pretty hammed up, especially against Impetuous (though I definitely also did a gratuitous one on Yavaris ).

Edited by GiledPallaeon

@Green Knight - victory clearly goes to the NA sector. We're already awaiting round 2 :P

6 minutes ago, Captain Weather said:

@Green Knight - victory clearly goes to the NA sector. We're already awaiting round 2 :P

? Europe have started round 2....

Round 1 complete, and on time to boot. Amazing work guys!

The deadline for Round 2 will be Sunday April 9th.

Post round 1 rankings:

(let me know if I've goofed up anything)

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Captain Weather 10 304 0.25
2 @RStan 8 154 0.75
3 @Undeadguy 7 121 1.0
4 @GiledPallaeon 7 93 1.0
5 @itzSteve 6 47 1.25
6 @Q-DOWg 6 43 1.25
7 @AdmiralYor 6 17 1.25
8 @Paindemic7708 5 0 1.5
9 @Dorrin314 5 0 1.5
10 @Mattorium 5 0 1.5
11 @moodswing5537 4 0 1.75
12 @Hystarr 4 0 1.75
13 @ryanabt 3 0 2.0
14 @emsgoof 1 0 2.5

Round 2 pairings:

(now you see the Swiss system in action - matching players who are close in Score/MoV)

Edited by Green Knight
16 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

? Europe have started round 2....

This is what I get for not checking their thread. We had two games left and they had five. Curses!!

Just now, Captain Weather said:

This is what I get for not checking their thread. We had two games left and they had five. Curses!!

You should all subscribe to both threads!

The Emperor/Mon Mothma demands it!

Also @RStan - what times are you free? :D

This is weird. I had a dream I played GiledPallaeon and I asked how to pronounce his name. And now here we are, faced off against each other.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

This is weird. I had a dream I played GiledPallaeon and I asked how to pronounce his name. And now here we are, faced off against each other.

This is the Force. It is also how I've made many a list...

1 hour ago, Captain Weather said:

Also @RStan - what times are you free? :D

PM sent about that

Dorrin vs @Q-DOWg is set for 5pm MST/7pm EST Thursday April 6th.

15 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

For reference I pronounce it Gill (like the part of a fish)-ed Pah-lay (what you do on a couch)-on. And if that doesn't map to how you always pronounced my namesake's name, so much the better for me, it's another shield against the Mouse.

Edited by GiledPallaeon
Clarity, because I'm not a linguist

tumblr_mq3d2c48Q91su29g2o3_250.gif [/img]

paindemic vs @Mattorium is scheduled for Wednesday Apr 5 at aprox 8pm eastern.

Still waiting for a reply from mood to try and get ours scheduled.

Still waiting for a reply from mood to try and get ours scheduled.

Type his username like this so he gets the signal...

@moodswing5537 ! Report in!

It was spring break around these parts, and he'll probably get back to you this week.

3 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Type his username like this so he gets the signal...

@moodswing5537 ! Report in!

It was spring break around these parts, and he'll probably get back to you this week.

I actually replied 16 hours ago with suggested times.

Need to check my work schedule when I go back in tomorrow.

@Captain Weather vs @RStan is scheduled for Friday April 7th at 6:30 PM EST (Saturday April 8th 8:30 AM AUS). Could potentially start a half hour earlier, but will at the latest start at the posted time.

@Undeadguy and GiledPallaeon is scheduled for ~19:45 EST tonight, contingent on exactly when I am able to open the computer and fire up VASSAL.

@Hystarr vs @moodswing5537 scheduled for Thursday @ 7:30pm CST.

6 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

@Undeadguy and GiledPallaeon is scheduled for ~19:45 EST tonight, contingent on exactly when I am able to open the computer and fire up VASSAL.

Look at these bold Imperial fleets folks! Things of beauty. They are playing Undead's Most Wanted.

nECM9X4.png

3 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Look at these bold Imperial fleets folks! Things of beauty. They are playing Undead's Most Wanted.

nECM9X4.png

Final score was 323-223 in @Undeadguy 's favor for a 7-4.

Significant swing was the choice of Most Wanted; Gryphon , the Imperial -1 chosen for me, was annihilated after savaging Demolisher and plinking Insidious , but still fell weapons blazing on Turn 4. Moff Jerjerrod's Gozanti on the other hand escaped, while Manticore (the other Imperial ) devastated an Arquitens and another Gozanti unit at close range, with the valiantly doomed Parnassus (one of my Gozanti s) finished Instigator with Wayfarer 's (Admiral Motti's Gozanti ) help. Insidious ended the Imperial Navy exercise today with a final execution of Parnassus , even as Wayfarer fled. And as always, Hawkwing , my Raider , was obliterated in the opening sequences of the battle. It's awfully expensive for me to keep using it to draw fire like that. In a first for my own experience, no TIE fighters were destroyed across the battle. I leave it in Undeadguy's capable hands for further commentary.

One of these days someone will wise up to my naming convention. *Scratches another tally on the board

Edited by GiledPallaeon

Playing @GiledPallaeon was quite fun last night. There were several close calls, which made it all the more dramatic. We both thought the game would be determined by round 3, and man were we wrong. The game was close all the way through round 6, where it could have gone either way.

With Chart Officers, I decided to deploy through the obstacles to stay as far away from Manticore as possible. Gryphon was my target, and I knew the Arq (Annoying Glass Cannon, who lived up to it's name) and Demo could reach Gryphon by the start of round 3.

At the start of Round 2, Hawkwing had already taken a shot from Demo. Hawkwing took it's shot at Demo, and proceeded to move towards Instigator, which aptly removed it from the board. I was feeling confident, being up 2 activations on round 2 was a good place to be. At the end of round 2, Demo had gotten a shot off at Gryphon dealing a life-saving crit (for me) Blinded Gunners.

Round 3 started off with Gryphon dealing a crushing 10 damage to Demo, but with Blinded Gunners, Demo survived with 0 shields and 2 hull remaining. It was at this moment I made a crucial mistake. The real world distracted me for several minutes, and when I looked back at the board, I activated a Gozanti instead of Demo >.< That break in focus made me forget my activation order, and I thought I'd just do Demo last since the threat was over. That little Gozanti (Meat Shield, who also earned it's name) dealt a staggering 5 damage to Gryphon , thanks to a CF and Most Wanted. Next, Manticore activated and killed Demo with 5 damage over 4 red dice. Rookie mistake on my part. My Arq took some damage, and went next, stripping the Brace from Gryphon with IO.

Round 4 had Gryphon on it's last legs, but still kicking back. Instigator had it double arced, and made it's second kill of the match. It proceeded to hunt some Gozantis. Insidious was also moving into position to get around Manticore and avoid it's front arc. Meat Shield and the Arq died, since they both sat in front of Manticore . They took one for the team.

At the start of round 5, I was getting worried. It was 3v3 at this point, and Instigator died after it lost it's front shields. 3v2 was not where I wanted to be. Insidious ran ahead to sit right behind Parnassus. JJ proceeded to run towards the other side of the map, dangerously close to the edge. Manticore moved in to try and kill JJ.

Round 6 was quick. Giled would have to kill JJ and Parnassus would need to survive for him to take the win. 4 reds tossed at Motti needed to be 2 doubles, and 2 Accs. Manticore choked and rolled 2 hits and 2 blanks. JJ would get to survive. Insidious activated and rolled 1 Acc, 1 hit, and 1 hit/crit. APT went off and a ram followed to kill Parnassus. The exact opposite of what Giled needed to win.

After tallying the score, I felt a bit better about losing Demo. It would have only changed the score to an 8-3. I would have still lost the Arq and the Goz. The Raider could have been caught by Manticore, who was turning around anyway.

It was an excellent game.