Captain bones spirit fog

By whipko, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

It seem that with 3 raised mast and rolling 2 gold, 1 silver ad 2 black dice for steering. (even more gold dice from overlord upgrade)

It is quite easy to move off the edge of the map every turn. (unless a very bad roll) And the overlord ship disappear during the hero turn. There is no way the hero can attack the overlord ship. unless all of them place a guard order adjacent to their cannon.

On the next turn, overlord reappear again and fire its cannon and move off the egde of the map again.

Another question is what happen if the hero ship block the space of the overlord ship entering from the east edge of the map?

whipko said:

Another question is what happen if the hero ship block the space of the overlord ship entering from the east edge of the map?

Hm, very good question. Since ships are usually blocked from moving further if they have side-to-side collisions. I guess you could house rule that in this case, the Captain's ship moves the Revenge a bit - or you could house rule that it just waits until the space is free again. The heroes do want to kill the Captain eventually, after all, there is no stalemate in Descent. But I guess this would be a reasonable thing to add to the list of unanswered questions.

As for the balance thing you mentioned, that is indeed how I read the rule. Having an Overlord ability that can't be used because he has too few dice would not really make sense, too, and it fits the name of the ship, Danse Macabre . This fight seems to really depend on the heroes equipping their ship sufficiently with enough cannons on both sides. I haven't played it yet however, and thus am a bad judge whether it is balanced or not. In theory, it looks pretty balanced, a battle of ships as expected from a pirate captain.