Games like this

By IrishCyborg, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Hi,

I really loved this game, so I'm wondering, does anyone know of other games like this?

Thanks,

IrishCyborg

Hi.
The other day a friend told me that there is a very similar Lord of the Rings game. If I'm not mistaken it's called War of the Ring

War of the Ring is similar in many ways. Two asymetric sides fighting against each other with two different theaters going on simultaneously. Though honestly the whole "Find the ring or attack places." mechanic is actually kinda a bad mechanic. As it makes it feel like there are two games you are playing simultaneously that only tangentially effect each other and rarely directly effect each other.

In rebellion the various theators directly effect each other all the time. E.g. missions and unit movements are constantly effecting each other.

War of the Ring isn't a bad game per se. There's a lot to love. But I find it fundamentally flawed and would only play it over Rebellion if I were in a Lord of the Rings mood.

How do you define "like this"?

galaxy spanning strategy game

asymmetric sides

4x

i could see arguments that axis and allies, space hulk, netrunner and pandemic are all "like this" game, but they are all radically different games.

What specifically do you find appealing about it?

Just to add to Forgottenlores list, this is also a strategic combat game, where most of the win/loss is not contained within the strategic combat. Well it is, but based on the retreat rules and the importance of missions, the winning and losing of combat is less important than the missions.

Its also a 1v1 game that is expandable to 2v2.

What is the components you like about it?

On 21/03/2017 at 3:57 PM, Forgottenlore said:

How do you define "like this"?

galaxy spanning strategy game

asymmetric sides

4x

i could see arguments that axis and allies, space hulk, netrunner and pandemic are all "like this" game, but they are all radically different games.

What specifically do you find appealing about it?

On 22/03/2017 at 3:08 PM, Jobu said:

Just to add to Forgottenlores list, this is also a strategic combat game, where most of the win/loss is not contained within the strategic combat. Well it is, but based on the retreat rules and the importance of missions, the winning and losing of combat is less important than the missions.

Its also a 1v1 game that is expandable to 2v2.

What is the components you like about it?

My favourite part of this game is the missions, but I also really like the build mechanics.

I also do like the leader recruitment, and the ability to add more players works great for me.

Thanks,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

Units and cards and workers that are all unique. You have me stumped for a similar game.

I also like the fact that it's so quick, and the excitement of finding the Rebel base and... and...

Maybe I should buy another copy! :D

You may want to look at this:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/chaos-in-the-old-world/

Its probably best in a 5 player, but 4 player works as well. It has asymmetric sides and each side has its own unique deck

I also like this game (possibly a bit more).

https://petersengames.com/cthulhu-wars/

They don't have everything exactly like Rebellion (the recruiting of unique leaders/workers is a tall order). But it is similar, asymmetric and supports a greater number of players.

I actually like the Conquest vs Ring search in War of the Ring. I think it's pretty thematic, and forces both sides to figure out how they're wanting to concentrate their effort.

And the Conquest mode can totally effect the Hunt for the Ring! The Fellowship is damaged more if they're discovered moving through enemy controlled territories, so it benefits Evil to spread out fast, and the Fellowship can sometimes find a good strategy in moving through unpredictable routes.. Also, the Fellowship is benefitted by staying in friendly strongholds- which they won't have if orcs take them.

If you're a big LOTR fan (books more so than movie, but either way really) I'd definitely check War of the Ring out.

23 hours ago, subtrendy said:

I actually like the Conquest vs Ring search in War of the Ring. I think it's pretty thematic, and forces both sides to figure out how they're wanting to concentrate their effort.

And the Conquest mode can totally effect the Hunt for the Ring! The Fellowship is damaged more if they're discovered moving through enemy controlled territories, so it benefits Evil to spread out fast, and the Fellowship can sometimes find a good strategy in moving through unpredictable routes.. Also, the Fellowship is benefitted by staying in friendly strongholds- which they won't have if orcs take them.

If you're a big LOTR fan (books more so than movie, but either way really) I'd definitely check War of the Ring out.

Sure it's thematic. But it never feels like the shadow players dudes on the map can really do all that much to help find the ring. If you go to all the effort of taking land on or near the ringbearer, or you take strongholds they would otherwise go to it still just kinda gives you a very small bonus. Far better to use your dice to play cards that hurt the ringbearer direct. Turning the game into a simple "take that!" card game. Which is fun I guess. But I wish the two theaters were more connected than they are.

I dunno. I understand that for beginning players it's common to have the free people's win more often. But it just feels like whenever we are doing stuff with the ring we aren't "playing the game." we're doing something else instead which is necessary to win. There is no actual deduction for the shadow player like in Rebellion.

And that feels super non thematic. Half of the Lord of the Rings conflict was hiding where the ring was and tricking Sauron into thinking different people had it or it was over here while Sauron tried to discern it's location. Like Scotland Yard. Just with more singing tree hippies.

War O' the Ring doesn't have that. The hunt for the ring is very abstract. Which is the definition of non thematic.

Well, sure- putting all your effort into stopping the ringbearers is going to lose you the game. But that would be a kind of stupid thing to do... :P

I don't think the point of putting troops in the way is to ever try to completely finish off the ringbearer, but to slow them down, hopefully force them through an enemy stronghold, then get a bigger combo with one of those "take that" cards. Meanwhile, there's that whole business with a war that you're waging.

And yeah, I'd totally agree that Rebellion does some things better. But, if OP is looking for a similar game and enjoys LOTR, I think this is a stellar option.

Edited by subtrendy

SW: R plays very much like a stripped down, streamlined version of Twilight Imperium, minus the economics/trade and with less focus on diplomacy/politicking. I would recommend TI as a similar feeling game, but be prepared for some LONG games.

....Long and AWESOME by the way

War of the Ring!

Have a look here: www.warofthering.eu

Edited by Veldrin
On 3/28/2017 at 3:59 PM, subtrendy said:

Well, sure- putting all your effort into stopping the ringbearers is going to lose you the game. But that would be a kind of stupid thing to do... :P

I don't think the point of putting troops in the way is to ever try to completely finish off the ringbearer, but to slow them down, hopefully force them through an enemy stronghold, then get a bigger combo with one of those "take that" cards. Meanwhile, there's that whole business with a war that you're waging.

And yeah, I'd totally agree that Rebellion does some things better. But, if OP is looking for a similar game and enjoys LOTR, I think this is a stellar option.

Right. I get that. My complaint is not that we haven't figured out how to do well as the shadow player. I believe people when they say the game is balanced even if I haven't yet seen the evidence for that. I have hardly enough experience to make statements on balance or correct strategy. What I don't like is the core mechanics and duality between the two main conflicts.

Maybe I just don't get the strategy of properly using the units to properly attack the ring bearer or using the fellowship to properly support your combat efforts. Just wish they were more connected.

You also should look into Twilight Struggle. It's another head to head brainburner like Rebellion, asymetrical card-driven area control. Theme is the Cold War, which I think is a fascinating era, one player is Soviets, the other is US. It trades Rebellion's units for a much more involved loyalty system (called "Influence" in TS). Cards represent various figures, quotes, and events like "We will Bury You!", The Olympic Games, Aldrich Ames, or The Korean War. Very tense and thematic with the possibility of a game-ending Nuclear War.

Best thing is you can try it out very cheap. There's a superb app adaptation that you can play on Android, PC or iOS. It runs like 5-10 bucks depending on the platform.

If you're looking for something that's more focused on the missions (I.e the cards) I think this might be exactly what you're looking for.

Edited by Uglymug
7 hours ago, Uglymug said:

You also should look into Twilight Struggle. It's another head to head brainburner like Rebellion, asymetrical card-driven area control. Theme is the Cold War, which I think is a fascinating era, one player is Soviets, the other is US. It trades Rebellion's units for a much more involved loyalty system (called "Influence" in TS). Cards represent various figures, quotes, and events like "We will Bury You!", The Olympic Games, Aldrich Ames, or The Korean War. Very tense and thematic with the possibility of a game-ending Nuclear War.

Best thing is you can try it out very cheap. There's a superb app adaptation that you can play on Android, PC or iOS. It runs like 5-10 bucks depending on the platform.

If you're looking for something that's more focused on the missions (I.e the cards) I think this might be exactly what you're looking for.

Bruh, I just picked this game up a month or so ago and it's awesome. SUCH a good game. Unfortunately I find myself having trouble getting other people to play with me - I guess soviet era cold war politicking just isn't as alluring to some people as it is to me.

On 30/03/2017 at 2:45 AM, seary6579 said:

SW: R plays very much like a stripped down, streamlined version of Twilight Imperium, minus the economics/trade and with less focus on diplomacy/politicking. I would recommend TI as a similar feeling game, but be prepared for some LONG games.

....Long and AWESOME by the way

I actually have Twilight Imperium, I do like it, but it's hard to find someone (EDIT: 5 someones.) to play it with. :(

22 hours ago, Uglymug said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at this.

Edited by IrishCyborg
On 3/31/2017 at 3:12 AM, Uglymug said:

Potentially I should give this game another chance. Certainly seems fun in theory (I've played once.) My only beef was (weirdly enough) it didn't feel asymmetric enough. You're both going for the same goal and mechanically operate pretty much the same. The asymetry is in the abilities and board positioning. Which is fine. I just like REALLY asymetric games. Like I don't think a game can have too much asymetry (until it starts damaging balance.)

But I certainly haven't played enough to say if the game is good or bad or balanced or not. Just wish it was more asymmetric. I'm curious now, what's the most asymmetric game you can think of?