Worlds Registration sold out in under 15 minutes?

By player679937, in Star Wars: Destiny

Anyone else wondering why the seats were limited such that they were sold out in under 15 minutes?

Given that FFG's estimation and planning team seems to rely on darts and ouija boards... no, I don't really have to wonder.

I couldn't get one at the 2 minute mark.

I was buying tickets for some friends who were too busy to do it, hit refresh about every 5 seconds 1 minute before they were set to go on sale. I was able to register one ticket, instantly went to the other browser window I had up and they were sold out. They were legit gone in less than 30 seconds. I don't know how many seats were available, but the demand far outstripped FFG's capability to host, especially alongside other games.

7 minutes ago, Crabhand said:

I was buying tickets for some friends who were too busy to do it, hit refresh about every 5 seconds 1 minute before they were set to go on sale. I was able to register one ticket, instantly went to the other browser window I had up and they were sold out. They were legit gone in less than 30 seconds. I don't know how many seats were available, but the demand far outstripped FFG's capability to host, especially alongside other games.

This is the same for me. By the time I moved on to day 1b and got denied it was 12:02.

I wonder how many tickets were available.

world's would have been cool, but unrealistic for me since I'm west coast. I'm excited for regionalso next year though, world's 2018 for ne most likely.

4 minutes ago, Rebeltrooper said:

world's would have been cool, but unrealistic for me since I'm west coast. I'm excited for regionalso next year though, world's 2018 for ne most likely.

I wouldn't count on worlds unless you prequalify or FFG ups the number of people allowed for the event.

Having said that, this is my plan too. I think the best chance will be to quality somehow.

Now I wasn't trying to get tickets to worlds because that is the weekend before finals, but from what I know based on FFG's twitter destiny didn't sell out until 1 CST. A lot of tickets after that initial burst of clicks right when it opened up ended up back in the pool because the people who got them didn't pay for them within the 15 minute window the tickets are reserved for.

Yeah I mostly mean financially reasonable to get to worlds next year if I qualify or am able to buy a spot in. This year was always out of the question for me.

2 minutes ago, Rebeltrooper said:

Yeah I mostly mean financially reasonable to get to worlds next year if I qualify or am able to buy a spot in. This year was always out of the question for me.

I get that Rebeltrooper, I was just hoping to explain to everyone what was going on with the registration, because Im sure a lot of people didn't realize this.

Hopefully they open more seats.

Has anyone been before and been able to buy a seat because someone didn't show or something?

I am a football coach and couldn't go when they were in November and this is the first time I have had to deal with the super fast sell outs. Reminds me of Comic Con

You guys are so lucky I didn't get a ticket, I would have won for sure!!! Haha

39 minutes ago, abell19 said:

Now I wasn't trying to get tickets to worlds because that is the weekend before finals, but from what I know based on FFG's twitter destiny didn't sell out until 1 CST. A lot of tickets after that initial burst of clicks right when it opened up ended up back in the pool because the people who got them didn't pay for them within the 15 minute window the tickets are reserved for.

I can confirm this wasn't the case. I continued to refresh about every 2 -3 seconds until 1:05. I got 5 hits that looked like a potential ticket but is was gone before I got it. The last hit I got was around 12:35.

My friend I was planning on traveling with was there with me going through the motions also. He got 2 additional hits compared to my 5 and niether panned out.

How many tickets were available?

Two flights with 6 rounds each and top 27 advancing in each for day 2.

3 rounds of Swiss day 2 and then cut to top 16.

If X-Wing is anything to judge by for their flights, probably around 200 people per flight for around 400 total.

As a heads up, the last two years was much the same with Netrunner and X-Wing with tickets selling out in less than 5 minutes.

X-Wing this year actually sold out faster than Destiny.

Keep an eye out on things over the next few months. Last year there were several extra waves of registration so additional people could sign up.

I don't play Destiny anymore, but I've been attending FFG Worlds for 4 years and this comes as no surprise. They want to host an "open" championship but won't actually hold it in an appropriately sized venue. Their store is really nice, but much too small for these events. Tickets always sell out really quickly. I would prefer they move the event to a real convention center, or just make worlds a tournament for qualified players only. I didn't bother trying to buy a ticket this year since the only event I was marginally interested in (SWLCG) is on Wednesday and I'll probably save myself the frustration and forgo November worlds as well. Congrats to those of you who actually got a ticket!

1 hour ago, nungunz said:

Two flights with 6 rounds each and top 27 advancing in each for day 2.

3 rounds of Swiss day 2 and then cut to top 16.

If X-Wing is anything to judge by for their flights, probably around 200 people per flight for around 400 total.

As a heads up, the last two years was much the same with Netrunner and X-Wing with tickets selling out in less than 5 minutes.

X-Wing this year actually sold out faster than Destiny.

Keep an eye out on things over the next few months. Last year there were several extra waves of registration so additional people could sign up.

Destiny sold out faster. There were tickets that kept becoming available for Xwing as late as an hour ago for Friday.

It could be up to 500 I think based on max capacity p/day.

About an hour later I saw X Wing was available(which surprised me) while Destiny was not.

Previous years, the tickets were released in waves, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. If refunds are given, there will be another time when those few tickets are sold again to the public. FFG's center and the Radisson's room are very large. FFG did right this time by splitting swiss into 2 days. Thank Allah they don't have to squeeze in AGOT or Netrunner now. What more can you ask for? Besides room at the tables to stretch your elbows of course.

5 minutes ago, theChony said:

About an hour later I saw X Wing was available(which surprised me) while Destiny was not.

Previous years, the tickets were released in waves, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. If refunds are given, there will be another time when those few tickets are sold again to the public. FFG's center and the Radisson's room are very large. FFG did right this time by splitting swiss into 2 days. Thank Allah they don't have to squeeze in AGOT or Netrunner now. What more can you ask for? Besides room at the tables to stretch your elbows of course.

Enough tickets to accommodate everybody who wants to go.

As strange as this may sound, I'm thinking my best bet for next years worlds is to qualify ahead of time. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

4 hours ago, romo said:

I don't play Destiny anymore, but I've been attending FFG Worlds for 4 years and this comes as no surprise. They want to host an "open" championship but won't actually hold it in an appropriately sized venue. Their store is really nice, but much too small for these events. Tickets always sell out really quickly. I would prefer they move the event to a real convention center, or just make worlds a tournament for qualified players only. I didn't bother trying to buy a ticket this year since the only event I was marginally interested in (SWLCG) is on Wednesday and I'll probably save myself the frustration and forgo November worlds as well. Congrats to those of you who actually got a ticket!

Vegas baby

Not to state the obvious but sense the game realised they have heard nothing but how no one had any product to play and how everyone was jumping ship. Why would they think there would be a big turn out with that kind of talk. Cause and effect.

21 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

Not to state the obvious but sense the game realised they have heard nothing but how no one had any product to play and how everyone was jumping ship. Why would they think there would be a big turn out with that kind of talk. Cause and effect.

I just visited the FFG headquarters and am a bit surprised to hear that the space is used for the Worlds competition. As others have said, it's a great place...very large/nice for any store...but nowhere near big enough for anything I would dub 'Worlds." With so many venue options in Minneapolis, I'd think they could partner with someone to make this situation more manageable for all involved. The biggest kicker is from those who are saying it has been this way for years...if true, how could adding another entire event make it better for anyone? I assume they didn't remove a game to add Destiny...I could be wrong, but if true - clear indication that more space is needed.

27 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

Wouldn't it just be more to do with the venue size? Or is that too obvious? :lol:

25 minutes ago, Impulse411 said:

I just visited the FFG headquarters and am a bit surprised to hear that the space is used for the Worlds competition. As others have said, it's a great place...very large/nice for any store...but nowhere near big enough for anything I would dub 'Worlds." With so many venue options in Minneapolis, I'd think they could partner with someone to make this situation more manageable for all involved. The biggest kicker is from those who are saying it has been this way for years...if true, how could adding another entire event make it better for anyone? I assume they didn't remove a game to add Destiny...I could be wrong, but if true - clear indication that more space is needed.

They did give their SW games their own World's. This gives them more space for those games then they've ever had. (Also, did you also see the event space as well which is in addition to the store? It's often closed up except for busy nights. And no it isn't as large as a convention space, but I just wondered if you saw the full space).

As for the other aspect of the discussion, two years ago at World's was the first time any event sold out (which is really more like 18 months ago I guess). I think at this point they are aware of their demand but it's not quite been "years" and they've made incremental improvements each time in terms of structure to accommodate more people while adding games.

The Xwing community has voiced exactly these same concerns in that time and from what I understand and have heard during that time, FFG has discussed those options and is still sticking with tbheir venue for their own reasons and philosophy.

Edited by AlexW
9 minutes ago, AlexW said:

They did give their SW games their own World's. This gives them more space for those games then they've ever had. (Also, did you also see the event space as well which is in addition to the store? It's often closed up except for busy nights. And no it isn't as large as a convention space, but I just wondered if you saw the full space).

As for the other aspect of the discussion, two years ago at World's was the first time any event sold out (which is really more like 18 months ago I guess). I think at this point they are aware of their demand but it's not quite been "years" and they've made incremental improvements each time in terms of structure to accommodate more people while adding games.

The Xwing community has voiced exactly these same concerns in that time and from what I understand and have heard during that time, FFG has discussed those options and is still sticking with tbheir venue for their own reasons and philosophy.

Good to have the additional info. I DID see the added space in the back, which was open through a door (but didn't head back since that seemed like a private event kind of deal), but was impressed with everything I saw. Really cool space and would think it would be great for just about any normal size event possible...just not surprised to hear it isn't quite up to the task of holding Worlds. From your input, it sounds like they are attempting to adjust to meet for the demand...just having trouble finding the right balance. I'm sure venues are not cheap to rent, especially for things this big...just hoping they can figure out the right solution.