Worlds Registration sold out in under 15 minutes?

By player679937, in Star Wars: Destiny

The past couple years a LOT of players have suggested that FFG do a registration of interest for these events first, at which point they can then try and acquire a suitably sized venue for the amount of players that want to attend.

This seems to have been ignored though and FFG insist on running the event at their headquarters, which is fine its their event to run.

Having said that, as I have said in other years, this event is not what most would consider a world champs event, merely an open event where you only get to play if you were lucky enough to be online at the right time with a good internet connection and the ticket suppliers website didn’t crash before you got tickets, hardly a suitable method of determining those suitable of a "World Championships Event"

I would like to think that FFG would use this year as an opportunity to better plan for worlds next year.

Find out how many people were denied tickets due to limitations and seek to increase capacity next year accordingly, and add in a % growth factor.

I am not sure if FFG runs their worlds like Privateer Press run their Conventions, ie: 24 hours, but having multiple events over a 24 hour period could add extra qualifiers and opportunities for players to make the final group.

It is in everyone's interest to have a massive event that shows off the best of the best..not the luckiest to click a mouse button at the right time.

What deck do you think will win overall. For me it is either Vader Raider or Dooku Kylo, but if I had to make a hard call, then Dooku Kylo.

7 hours ago, Impulse411 said:

Good to have the additional info. I DID see the added space in the back, which was open through a door (but didn't head back since that seemed like a private event kind of deal), but was impressed with everything I saw. Really cool space and would think it would be great for just about any normal size event possible...just not surprised to hear it isn't quite up to the task of holding Worlds. From your input, it sounds like they are attempting to adjust to meet for the demand...just having trouble finding the right balance. I'm sure venues are not cheap to rent, especially for things this big...just hoping they can figure out the right solution.

Last year they used conference rooms at the Radisson across the street for additional space.......it still wasn't enough room.

7 hours ago, Impulse411 said:

Good to have the additional info. I DID see the added space in the back, which was open through a door (but didn't head back since that seemed like a private event kind of deal), but was impressed with everything I saw. Really cool space and would think it would be great for just about any normal size event possible...just not surprised to hear it isn't quite up to the task of holding Worlds. From your input, it sounds like they are attempting to adjust to meet for the demand...just having trouble finding the right balance. I'm sure venues are not cheap to rent, especially for things this big...just hoping they can figure out the right solution.

Yeah, and I think their other issues with increasing the size of the tourneys is staffing and other logistics/costs. Thry are already all hands on deck for Worlds

20 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

The past couple years a LOT of players have suggested that FFG do a registration of interest for these events first, at which point they can then try and acquire a suitably sized venue for the amount of players that want to attend.

This seems to have been ignored though and FFG insist on running the event at their headquarters, which is fine its their event to run.

Having said that, as I have said in other years, this event is not what most would consider a world champs event, merely an open event where you only get to play if you were lucky enough to be online at the right time with a good internet connection and the ticket suppliers website didn’t crash before you got tickets, hardly a suitable method of determining those suitable of a "World Championships Event"

there running the event but I still believe they got the responsibility to run it to accommodate the players, happy players = happy pocketbooks