Worlds 2017

By CaribbeanNinja, in Star Wars: Armada

Yes and No.

It escalates the cost significantly - with no guarantee of success. And because of my additional security and background checks, it takes additional time (3+ Months) and is, of course, non-refundable.

I can travel to the US.

I just can't do it on a Month-and-a-Half's Notice, basically.

Which means the only way I can guarantee a position at Worlds is to Win a Regional or National. There is the ever so slightly slim potential of National, when and if its ever announced, - but when it comes to Regional, I will be running the Regional in Calgary should the Sentry Box be awarded it again this year - and thus, will be unable to play (I know its strictly allowed in the rules, but the event will be boycotted by some if that's the case - and thus, glory to the majority rather than the one...)

So yes. Possible, not Plausable, not happening anytime soon, and going to slink out of the topic now and let people be happy - and be happy for people, because Worlds should be awesome , and I certainly hope the day -and format- change will make it an even Bigger event that I can watch from the Sentry Box, and maybe even hold a Stream Kit tourney.

7 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I was looking at AirBnB and I found some rooms at $50 a night fairly close to the game center.

I was considering pitching to my wife the idea of hosting travelers for the World Championships but we live on the other side of town and anyone who stayed with us would have to rent a car to reliably get back and forth.

I checked AirBnB and the rooms available near FFG are quite reasonably priced.

Dras... you could just go to Europeans.... though again very costly. So I realise this also isnt feasible.

It is a legitimate consideration.

Its much easier travelling to another Commonwealth Country on my Australian Passport (at least, at the moment) - its just a matter of Costs.

Need more Commissions :D

23 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

You'd think.

But apart from the fact I don't qualify for a Canadian Passport (as I am a Resident only), there should basically be little difference between travelling on the Australian, or Travelling on the Canadian - neither require a Visa - Canadian simply because there is no actual legal requirement, and Australian, because the Visa Waiver Program should just work and go. In either case, you need to have sorted the Electronic Certificate for Travel Safety as a requirement to Enter the United States - irrespective of where you are coming from, unless you are a US Citizen.

My problem comes from raising red flags when I go to get that certificate. because the clauses and securities I would previously use (they were just a hassel to deal with), no longer exist.

So I can risk travel. But its risking travel, where the die rolls can land on "deportation with exclusion on returning"...

And we know what my luck is like.

My confidence is also shot by recently, Canadian Citizen Passport Holders are being detained at the Border and being sent away because they don't have Valid Visas.

Despite the fact that the Department of State specifically mentions that Canadian Citizens do not require any Visa for Business or Pleasure unless the Business is Treaty Related, effectively.

yeah I saw that on the news, plus the fact that american custom agents want more power over canadian citizens than actual canadian custom agents.

So yeah, thx to Trump, I won't be going to the USA in the near future. Europe or Mexico, here I come.

18 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

yeah I saw that on the news, plus the fact that american custom agents want more power over canadian citizens than actual canadian custom agents.

So yeah, thx to Trump, I won't be going to the USA in the near future. Europe or Mexico, here I come.

#NotMyAdmiral

Just booked my hotel. Wow, the Radisson is pricey! I went with the way cheaper option.

So when do we start placing bets on who is gunna win?

#CaldiasAllTheWay

You'd think they would have more spaces for Armada. More spaces mean more customers etc. Armada really isn't getting the support and love that it needs right now. In the Star Wars license, it feels like Destiny is valued more by FFG.

Just now, SoonerTed said:

You'd think they would have more spaces for Armada. More spaces mean more customers etc. Armada really isn't getting the support and love that it needs right now. In the Star Wars license, it feels like Destiny is valued more by FFG.

But... We don't even know how many Spaces there were...

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

But... We don't even know how many Spaces there were...

We know that the number of spaces was less than demand for them - quite probably significantly less, based how quickly the spaces were sold out.

I logged in to get my ticket for Armada at 10am on the dot, added my armada reservation, went to add Destiny as a second event and it was already sold out roughly 10:01 and some seconds.

If anyone should be upset about limited space I think it should be Destiny. That game has been undersupplied and undersupported literally since before launch. To sell out of space in 90 seconds sucks for the first major organized tournament.

48 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

So yeah, thx to previous presidents who ignored national sovereignty and border laws, I won't be going to the USA in the near future. Europe or Mexico, here I come.

FTFY

We know that the number of spaces was less than demand for them - quite probably significantly less, based how quickly the spaces were sold out.

Of course.

But that doesn't account for anything without numbers.... What if we had 4x the Spaces as last year, and have the maximum amount of actual available space?

You're allowed to be Negative, mate. I just personally prefer negativity to be backed up with actual numbers, rather than Guesswork.

I mean, sure, if they put 20 spaces up and those spaces filled - Totally Agree.

But if they split everything over 2 days to give us twice the amount of players, as well as a fairer distribution of Rest Time vs Play time, and filled every available table at the same time? I'm sure they've doen all they can and I'd personally be satisfied.

Demand is always going to outstrip supply. That's good business. Its only a problem if there is supply you could add to the pool, but don't.

And until they give us actual Numbers, we won't know.

33 minutes ago, Caldias said:

Just booked my hotel. Wow, the Radisson is pricey! I went with the way cheaper option.

Key Inn? I opted for that last year and regretted it. The place is rough and I had to switch rooms 3 times for various scary reasons. Had I gone this year I would have gladly paid the extra for Radisson.

2 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

I logged in to get my ticket for Armada at 10am on the dot, added my armada reservation, went to add Destiny as a second event and it was already sold out roughly 10:01 and some seconds.

If anyone should be upset about limited space I think it should be Destiny. That game has been undersupplied and undersupported literally since before launch. To sell out of space in 90 seconds sucks for the first major organized tournament.

Completely agree about Destiny. Market research and supply chain management are outside FFG's wheelhouse.

Completely agree about Destiny. Market research and supply chain management are outside FFG's wheelhouse.

I rather like their rowboats. It's builds the suspense if we will actually get things on time.

5 minutes ago, emsgoof said:

FTFY

How bout we don't go down this road.

<edited to stop beating a dead horse>

Edited by SoonerTed
wanting to avoid conflict

Question:

Are you annoyed because you missed out, or are you annoyed on behalf of the people who could be annoyed?

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

How bout we don't go down this road.

This applies to both sides: not to call anybody out, but there have been not-so-subtle jabs both ways.

Just... no.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

Question:

Are you annoyed because you missed out, or are you annoyed on behalf of the people who could be annoyed?

The former. But I'm going to drop the subject now since I'm beating a dead horse here.

3 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

Sold out in 5 minutes or so? Both Destiny and Armada players have reasons to be annoyed. It isn't really an "all-comers" meet when this happens.

I've actually only seen accounts of one, maybe two, who really wanted to go but couldn't because it sold out, so far.

My only real complaint is, they dropped in the middle of the work day in the US, and the middle of the night in Australia. I feel like they should do these kinds of ostensibly-international releases with staggered approaches, e.g., at 0200Z, 1000Z, and 1800Z, to give everyone a reasonable shot at them.

Alas, work is short-handed so I couldn't get the time off this year. So, hopefully see y'all in 2018!

31 minutes ago, Thraug said:

Key Inn?

@BiggsIRL stayed there last year and look what happened to him.