Will we ever see KOTOR characters?

By WonderWAAAGH, in Star Wars: Destiny

Destiny is touted as being "saga-spanning," and there's been some talk recently about how much input Disney has on the design process. For those of you who might not be aware, Galaxy of Heroes (an EA property also under the Mouse's ever watchful eye) just added Darth Nihilus to its ever expanding cast of Star Wars characters not more than a week or two ago. If Disney is pushing for - or, at least, supporting - the inclusion of such characters with their affiliated license holders, does it stand to reason that we might also get them in Destiny? Admittedly, I never played KOTOR, but now that he's in GoH my interest is piqued. I did play SWTOR, and I'm dancing on the inside at the prospect of seeing Darth Malgus some day, slim as the prospect may be.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Right now the game is focused on canon (straight from Lukas' mouth). I don't see the game expanding to include legends because there is already a lot in canon to put into the game and it is only growing. IMO, no, not unless it become canon or is in canon

Fair enough, but the makers of GoH might have said the same thing about a year ago. There's currently somewhere around 110 characters in that game, and while there's a lot more content to draw upon for Destiny than, say, X-Wing, there's still a finite cap on what they can include. At 24 characters a set times 3 sets a year (an optimistic appraisal), Destiny could be approaching tapped by the end of 2018. And then there's this little gem, highly reminiscent of the Old Republic era:

ThePowerOfTheForce.png

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I still think that there is stuff in legends that will eventually leak over into canon. Thrawn was a great example. He found his way into Rebels, right? There is so much material to draw from Legends that when a need arises it should be considered as a source. I wouldn't be in a hurry to make things canon for the sake of being canon. Fit the worthy Legends stuff in when it is the right time, when a story can benefit from it. That being said, there is also stuff in legends that I think should stay buried there, too. I know, I'm preaching patience on a forum where the posters can't wait even another three months for the game to develop a little, but I think that cooler heads will prevail and do this right. I have faith that Disney will protect this properly since they paid so much for it and it can be so very lucrative to them. They aren't going to make snap decisions that hinder them down the road.

Eventually, yes. There just won't be enough well known cannon characters and alt versions of them to fill out the lists years from now. So yeah, eventually a KotR set will be put out.

I think Destiny is going to stick to canon characters. But I wouldn't take any money on it one way or another.

I would love to see Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors with a Moldy Crow card. As far as the Old Republic, what an opportunity to be creative and add the the Star Wars universe!

I'm sure we will see an Ewok expansion before that sadly :(

If we look at the canon characters most of them can have multiple versions of themselves, and like I said that factor and the every growing of canon just doesn't seem like it will be happening ANYTIME soon. I am sorry, but I want a Count Vidian over a Raven, or a Roach over a Mara Jade any day. Don't get me wrong I love those characters but expanding canon is more important imo.

As for the art work itself? It's art work showing off an act or a idea, doesn't mean how it is coming off is canon or not.....it's just expression.

Edited by JediGeekGirl

Dash Rendar, Prince Xizor

2 hours ago, JediGeekGirl said:

If we look at the canon characters most of them can have multiple versions of themselves, and like I said that factor and the every growing of canon just doesn't seem like it will be happening ANYTIME soon. I am sorry, but I want a Count Vidian over a Raven, or a Roach over a Mara Jade any day. Don't get me wrong I love those characters but expanding canon is more important imo.

As for the art work itself? It's art work showing off an act or a idea, doesn't mean how it is coming off is canon or not.....it's just expression.

Then we can safely say the same thing about Kanan, thankfully. :D

It's certainly possible. I don't think Disney is going to throw out everything, they are just going to use it under controlled conditions.

Having KOTOR characters in the game really doesn't impact on anything else, so I don't see any reason for Disney not to use them. Well, unless they have plans to do something with the Old Republic era themselves, or they want to keep it as an open option so don't want to have anyone 'commit' to anything.

But will we ever get characters from MY favorite part of the EU? (or whatever they are calling it now)

My answer

19 hours ago, Virtigo said:

I'm sure we will see an Ewok expansion before that sadly :(

Yub yub.

So do you think Wicket will be a support or an actual character? And I can't wait to pwn Vader with my ewok hang glider. Well, at least THAT set won't have supply issues. :lol:

Edited by Mep

I very much hope so

I could see Wicket as a character with the rest of the Ewoks as supports. Maybe a generic Ewok as a non-unique character. I would expect to see more Gungan characters than Ewok characters.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Yub yub.

So do you think Wicket will be a support or an actual character? And I can't wait to pwn Vader with my ewok hang glider. Well, at least THAT set won't have supply issues. :lol:

LOL, like they completely develop Ewoks as a Base set featuring Shaman, Wicket, Tribal leader, and other no named Ewoks.

Have 'Tree log' be a support card, with sling shots as '0' cost weapons with a damage self side.

Might as well give the cards an ANIME finish for a cuteness overload.

Edited by Virtigo

I'd be okay with it.

Side note, Imperial Assault has HK Assassin Droids. Not HK47 specifically, but a similar model and they're fairly powerful figures; fragile but extremely high damage output. So, there is a precedent for content from that era in the company if not for the game.

We see a couple of things in the art that look like their EU -- Use the Force looks like it's depicting Kyle Katarn.

For playable characters, expect them sticking to canon. That's really been a sticking point for Disney, as far as I can tell.

That being said, Rebels has made several steps towards making elements of KotOR canon: from space ships to historical events.

Of course, similar to how Kanan (and Cassian, to a degree) is a stand-in for Kyle Katarn, I wouldn't be surprised if Revan becomes Reveen or some such.

I am 100% on team EU characters, though. Would love to see Revan, Dash Rendar, Mara Jade, etc...

If KOTOR characters were to be introduced into this game, I believe the most likely source would be the new Knights of the Eternal Thrown. I'm not holding my breath for this (or any KOTOR involvement in FFG games) as EA does not play nice with others...

On 3/12/2017 at 0:10 AM, Rebeltrooper said:

Dash Rendar, Prince Xizor

I was just about to say rendat!

They've never showed up in the LCG, but there are plenty of EU characters like Kyle here.

SWC30_226-3.jpg

1 hour ago, stevepop said:

They've never showed up in the LCG, but there are plenty of EU characters like Kyle here.

SWC30_226-3.jpg

Drool.... Now that I feel like they shat the bed on my fav Old Obi Wan, perhaps Kyle is my only hope.

Kyle Katarn Unique Blue Hero 12 HP

2 Melee

2 Melee

+2 Melee

2 Discard/1 resource

*Special

Blank

Melee damage rolled by this character may be treated as ranged damage

Special: Opponent discards 2 cards from their draw deck.

Add the cost of the two cards discarded. Opponent deals that amount of damage to their characters as they see fit.

14/18

Edited by Virtigo

If that's what you're expecting for characters, you're probably going to be disappointed.

5 hours ago, Abyss said:

If that's what you're expecting for characters, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Gotta let me dream. Rebellions are built on Hope!